There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 12-06-2022, 11:59 PM by Duco Ndona )

Not necessary as roaring is a lot higher on the escalation ladder and openly invites a fight. 

Scent marking is a bit like moving a border post slightly to the left to get that nice field in your nation. If your opponent doesnt notice or care you can get away with it. While roaring is akin to holding a huge speech on national television declaring war on anyone that disagrees with where the borders lie. 

Scent markings are also a lot more accurate than roaring if it comes to mapping the boundaries. A roar may afteral not cover all the area a coalition holds. Nor does it stop at the borders of a territory so even if you hear a rival group roaring, an area may still be safe to take. 

It's also possible that the group has been split up and those marks aren't territorial but rather a way to regroup.
5 users Like Duco Ndona's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 12-07-2022, 01:00 AM by Tr1x24 )

(12-06-2022, 11:45 PM)Hairy tummy Wrote: Will the Nkhula males not be roaring if they are scent marking?

This kind od scent marking is not exactly act of "open" takeover attempt, as @Duco Ndona said, its more of "sneaky" attempt to gain some ground if territorial males dont respond, they are kinda testing how far they can push and grab some area for free. 

Also they are kinda "hopeful" to attract some females in estrus thru their scent.

Its not exactly in their interest to roar in unfamiliar territory, they prob dont know yet against how many males they are, also that way territorial males can regroup, easily locate them and chase them out. Sneaky attack like Gijima males did, to eliminate few members alone, is far more effective.

Remember, these guys are still young, they prob still dont have confidence for open war against multiple territorial males.

These guys traveled thru S. Avocas and Gijima males territories, and didn't attack or challenge them. 

Apparently 2 Gijima males caught their scent marks in Sabi Sabi today, seen scent marking bushes and roling in the mud.
5 users Like Tr1x24's post

United Kingdom Tonpa Offline
Contributor

It could be simply signalling between nomadic coalition members when it's not possible to openly vocalise due to the risks involved.
5 users Like Tonpa's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 12-07-2022, 04:57 AM by Mapokser )

@BA0701 Indeed, my bad if it felt like I was being too pessimistic, Kambula pride is one of my favorites and I definitely don't want anything to happen to them, and I have a soft spot for lone females trying to rebuild their pride so I'm also cheering for the southern lioness as her daughters aren't old enough to mate. 

So it's not like I appreciate this new threat. Maybe I'm just feeling down due to what happened to my favorite pride ( Othawa ) at the paws of these new males' brothers ( and Birminghams ) so to know that there are more or less 6 young, big and if anything similar to their half-brothers, aggressive new males makes me worried that something similar may happen to the prides in Mala Mala and Londolozi if they stick around.
5 users Like Mapokser's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(12-07-2022, 04:56 AM)Mapokser Wrote: @BA0701 Indeed, my bad if it felt like I was being too pessimistic, Kambula pride is one of my favorites and I definitely don't want anything to happen to them, and I have a soft spot for lone females trying to rebuild their pride so I'm also cheering for the southern lioness as her daughters aren't old enough to mate. 

So it's not like I appreciate this new threat. Maybe I'm just feeling down due to what happened to my favorite pride ( Othawa ) at the paws of these new males' brothers ( and Birminghams ) so to know that there are more or less 6 young, big and if anything similar to their half-brothers, aggressive new males makes me worried that something similar may happen to the prides in Mala Mala and Londolozi if they stick around.

I feel the exact same way about all of these lions, so I totally understand my friend. We'll just keep hoping for the best.
4 users Like BA0701's post

Contributor

The boys 

6 users Like Tonpa's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

5 Nkuhlu males ID's :

*This image is copyright of its original author

16 users Like Tr1x24's post

Contributor
( This post was last modified: 12-07-2022, 09:40 PM by Tonpa )

Lions

• The Mhangene Pride has claimed their territory back from the Nkuhuma breakaway lionesses. The Ximobonyana drainage, a riverbed that was once used to protect and hide the Nkuhuma lionesses’ cubs, now falls within the newly claimed territory of the Mhangene Pride.
  • The Plains Camp lions have been busy too. They have not only been actively pursuing the Birmingham coalition but have mated with at least four of the five Mhangene females.
  • The lion dynamics to the north of the Sand River will be fascinating to watch in the near future as the Talamati Pride now outnumbers any other pride in that area.
  • It is safe to say that the Nkuhuma breakaway lioness will have to look after her two older cubs by herself. The last sighting of the other female was in the beginning of October during an altercation with the Mhangene Pride over a kill. The interaction may have led to her disappearance.
  • The Ntsevu sub-adult lions have been keeping a low profile but have been sighted both in the south and the north of the reserve. They consist of four males and one female around three years of age.

https://singita.com/2022/11/singita-sabi-sand-Nov-2022
9 users Like Tonpa's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

The new males look more developed than I thought they'd be. Some look like they'll have impressive manes in the future.
4 users Like Mapokser's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(12-08-2022, 06:42 AM)Mapokser Wrote: The new males look more developed than I thought they'd be. Some look like they'll have impressive manes in the future.

Well, their half brothers, PC males, also looked like that at around 4 yrs old :

11 users Like Tr1x24's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

Yeah they seem to have good genes for size and mane.
5 users Like Mapokser's post

NLAL11 Offline

(12-07-2022, 04:19 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: 5 Nkuhlu males ID's :

The third and the fifth ones in particular look very much like the PC Males. I think these boys are going to look equally impressive. They'll be trouble if they stick around.
1 user Likes NLAL11's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

Anyone know what is going on with S8 Male? He is looking very thin, and getting up a bit gingerly.

6 users Like BA0701's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(12-09-2022, 06:20 PM)BA0701 Wrote: Anyone know what is going on with S8 Male? He is looking very thin, and getting up a bit gingerly.

His belly is completly empty, i assume he didn’t eat in a while.
5 users Like Tr1x24's post

Contributor

Cubs were skinny too yesterday, hopefully they can catch something soon 

6 users Like Tonpa's post