There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Australia Horizon Offline
Moderators

(10-03-2022, 06:02 AM)criollo2mil Wrote: But what we mostly see in the recent video is evidence of some mange that has been getting more and more aggressive in last several months
You have good sharp eyes Like . Only noticed that after reading your comment.
3 users Like Horizon's post

Chris Offline

(10-02-2022, 10:28 PM)criollo2mil Wrote: The Smaller maned Running Male/Gijima

And then you see this guy and understand why he’s the king of the jungle

Will be very interesting to see when/how this male manages to regroup with his brothers.

United States BorntobeWild Offline

Do you mean this one is the third missing one?
1 user Likes BorntobeWild's post

BigLion39 Offline

As if it couldn't get worse for Sassy and the cubs, now Mange has to grab ahold of her, injuries, etc.... Nature can be so cruel.
5 users Like BigLion39's post

United States criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

(10-03-2022, 08:23 AM)Chris Wrote:
(10-02-2022, 10:28 PM)criollo2mil Wrote: The Smaller maned Running Male/Gijima

And then you see this guy and understand why he’s the king of the jungle

Will be very interesting to see when/how this male manages to regroup with his brothers.
This isn’t the missing male.  He’s 1/2 Gijima 
He’s already w his brother now.
5 users Like criollo2mil's post

Australia Horizon Offline
Moderators

(10-03-2022, 10:39 AM)BigLion39 Wrote: As if it couldn't get worse for Sassy and the cubs, now Mange has to grab ahold of her, injuries, etc.... Nature can be so cruel.

If it spreads out to the subs, it would be terrible.
4 users Like Horizon's post

T I N O Online
Moderators

The big and healthy Imbali male feeding of a Giraffe carcass at Elephant Plains 
PC: vanderberg_photography

*This image is copyright of its original author
10 users Like T I N O's post

United Kingdom lionuk Offline
Contributor

"We have spent a couple of days trying to track the Southern Pride, but with no luck, despite seeing their tracks.  Our luck changed this morning as mom was found lying close to a road, and her two cubs playing close by.

At this stage of the lion cubs’ lives, they are gaining experience and helping their mother to hunt already. As we witnessed with our guests today, when they came across a warthog the female stood still and the cubs followed suit - wagging of tails and ear flapping was their way of communicating; and they headed off in different directions, circling their prey.  As the cubs chased, the mother was waiting at the right position but unfortunately the warthog ran the other way.  Even though they could not make a kill, the cubs have definitely improved their skills and eventually will make kills without the help of their mother."

Beautiful to see these females drinking together. You can see that the mother's head is slightly bigger than her two 2.2 years old daughters at the moment. 
9 users Like lionuk's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(10-03-2022, 06:02 AM)criollo2mil Wrote:
(10-03-2022, 04:36 AM)BA0701 Wrote:
(10-02-2022, 09:47 PM)afortich Wrote: Sassy reunited, single boy, DM looing good, Tsalala princess calling, PC boys.

Assuming it was Nhenha and TYM that caused the split with the Othawas, they sure did work Sassy over, she has some nasty wounds around her neck there. So thankful it wasn't worse.

Yeah.  The single image posted by Dulini did show some blood around her neck.   But what we mostly see in the recent video is evidence of some mange that has been getting more and more aggressive in last several months (understandably due to the severe stress she’s been under).  

She is also seen slightly favoring one of her front legs.  But it doesn’t seem serious.

I am not questioning you my friend, you may well have some information I don't have. I just grabbed this screen shot, apologies I am on my linux machine, so I do not have all of my nice photo editing tools so I have no means of circling the area. But, in this screen shot taken from the video @afortich posted, there appears a large wound on the left side of her neck, that wasn't visible in the Dulini picture as she was lying on that side. Apologies, as well, for not grabbing a better screen shot, but I also don't have the video tools either. Once you see the point I am referring to, it is easy to identify in the short clip where it occurred. Are you saying that is not a wound at all, and is in fact mange?

4 users Like BA0701's post

Contributor

(10-03-2022, 06:22 PM)BA0701 Wrote:
(10-02-2022, 09:47 PM)afortich Wrote: Sassy reunited, single boy, DM looing good, Tsalala princess calling, PC boys.

Assuming it was Nhenha and TYM that caused the split with the Othawas, they sure did work Sassy over, she has some nasty wounds around her neck there. So thankful it wasn't worse.

Yeah.  The single image posted by Dulini did show some blood around her neck.   But what we mostly see in the recent video is evidence of some mange that has been getting more and more aggressive in last several months (understandably due to the severe stress she’s been under).  

She is also seen slightly favoring one of her front legs.  But it doesn’t seem serious.

I am not questioning you my friend, you may well have some information I don't have. I just grabbed this screen shot, apologies I am on my linux machine, so I do not have all of my nice photo editing tools so I have no means of circling the area. But, in this screen shot taken from the video @afortich posted, there appears a large wound on the left side of her neck, that wasn't visible in the Dulini picture as she was lying on that side. Apologies, as well, for not grabbing a better screen shot, but I also don't have the video tools either. Once you see the point I am referring to, it is easy to identify in the short clip where it occurred. Are you saying that is not a wound at all, and is in fact mange?

I don’t see anything but my eyes are the worse.  

Let me clarify.   I’m by no means a vet hehe.   But here’s he pic from Dulini and a second screen capture of them on a kill two weeks ago.   And what I said was mange (but it may not be).  It may simply be my ignorance of the correct terminology.   But it’s that scraggly darkened area around her neck.  As seen in the pics.

Attached Files Image(s)

4 users Like criollo2mil's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator
( This post was last modified: 10-03-2022, 07:08 PM by BA0701 )

(10-03-2022, 06:47 PM)criollo2mil Wrote:
(10-03-2022, 06:22 PM)BA0701 Wrote:

I don’t see anything but my eyes are the worse.  

Let me clarify.   I’m by no means a vet hehe.   But here’s he pic from Dulini and a second screen capture of them on a kill two weeks ago.   And what I said was mange (but it may not be).  It may simply be my ignorance of the correct terminology.   But it’s that scraggly darkened area around her neck.  As seen in the pics.

In that video at around the 26 second mark, right as Sassy turns to her right, and begins to go off camera, you get a quick glimpse at what appears to be a large wound on the left side of her neck. I am not saying it isn't mange, and I saw the same things you saw in that initial image so she may well have it. Apologies for the fact that my circle looks as if drawn by a 5 year old, but it is the best I could do on short notice with an app I am entirely unfamiliar with. I am not saying it is a wound, but it sure looks like one that I had not sen before that incident.

6 users Like BA0701's post

Contributor

(10-03-2022, 07:07 PM)BA0701 Wrote: In that video at around the 26 second mark, right as Sassy turns to her right, and begins to go off camera, you get a quick glimpse at what appears to be a large wound on the left side of her neck. I am not saying it isn't mange, and I saw the same things you saw in that initial image so she may well have it. Apologies for the fact that my circle looks as if drawn by a 5 year old, but it is the best I could do on short notice with an app I am entirely unfamiliar with. I am not saying it is a wound, but it sure looks like one that I had not sen before that incident.

I see what you mean now. I pulled up the original video (sent to me by Omega). I see what you see now as I view it on a larger screen. Yeah,,,,there seems to be some blood there to my eyes. Also, the largest sub adult to the back right has a small limp.
4 users Like criollo2mil's post

Tr1x24 Online
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 10-03-2022, 07:46 PM by Tr1x24 )

(10-03-2022, 06:47 PM)criollo2mil Wrote: I don’t see anything but my eyes are the worse.  

(10-03-2022, 07:07 PM)BA0701 Wrote: In that video at around the 26 second mark, right as Sassy turns to her right, and begins to go off camera, you get a quick glimpse at what appears to be a large wound on the left side of her neck. I am not saying it isn't mange, and I saw the same things you saw in that initial image so she may well have it. Apologies for the fact that my circle looks as if drawn by a 5 year old, but it is the best I could do on short notice with an app I am entirely unfamiliar with. I am not saying it is a wound, but it sure looks like one that I had not sen before that incident.

I dont think thats mange, 

You often see that dark spots on lionesses around their neck, those are mostly ticks and other parasites or scratches from clashes.

Here is most recent photos :

Photo credits : dina.petridis

And apparently she was wounded in that recent clash.
7 users Like Tr1x24's post

Tr1x24 Online
Top Contributor

(10-03-2022, 10:25 PM)criollo2mil Wrote: Gijimas Sleeping in slide 2

There is thread for Gijima males, just a note.
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Contributor
( This post was last modified: 10-03-2022, 11:00 PM by criollo2mil )

(10-03-2022, 10:53 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(10-03-2022, 10:25 PM)criollo2mil Wrote: Gijimas Sleeping in slide 2

There is thread for Gijima males, just a note.

Ahhh.   I did not know.   I will go ahead and move there.  Thanks for update.
5 users Like criollo2mil's post