There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 05-19-2022, 07:53 PM by Tr1x24 )

(05-19-2022, 07:18 PM)1999gc8 Wrote: New video uploaded on Sabi Sabi Reserve youtube channel.

Hmm interesting.

I think that Nwaswitshakas are in process of vacanting this area, they already did it with Lion Sands, and will prob continue with their territory at Sabi Sabi aswell. 

Its been a while since any of Nwaswitshaka males where seen with Styx or Southern Prides, they returned recently at Sabi Sabi but in company of Kambulas. 

This might be a problem for SP and Styx's  if 2 new S1 males claim that land, as they cant just retreat towards their males because theres stronger Kambula pride with them. 

So lets hope that Nwaswitshakas keep their territory down south for just a little bit more.

Also, this male is a big boy.
5 users Like Tr1x24's post

WildRev Offline

It's way to soon to say that they vacated a part of their territory or if they will continue to.
1 user Likes WildRev's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(05-19-2022, 10:09 PM)WildRev Wrote: It's way to soon to say that they vacated a part of their territory or if they will continue to.

Since they pushed north, they definitely vacant Lion Sands, Sabi Sabi still not but they dont hang there as often as they did, which is reasonable as mating opportunities are north with Kambulas.
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

WildRev Offline

We're not H24 with them, same with rangers, they can go there without us knowing.

Duco Ndona Online
Contributor

Its not like they are deliberately hiding from the cameras.  If the prides are routinely seen now with big kills and the boys are not around when normally they would be, its safe to say they are not there. 

I agree its a bit early to make the call, but the move would not surprise me. Why fight over something in the south you can get better and for free in the north.
1 user Likes Duco Ndona's post

United States kobe8jf1234 Offline

(05-19-2022, 07:47 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(05-19-2022, 07:18 PM)1999gc8 Wrote: New video uploaded on Sabi Sabi Reserve youtube channel.

Hmm interesting.

I think that Nwaswitshakas are in process of vacanting this area, they already did it with Lion Sands, and will prob continue with their territory at Sabi Sabi aswell. 

Its been a while since any of Nwaswitshaka males where seen with Styx or Southern Prides, they returned recently at Sabi Sabi but in company of Kambulas. 

This might be a problem for SP and Styx's  if 2 new S1 males claim that land, as they cant just retreat towards their males because theres stronger Kambula pride with them. 

So lets hope that Nwaswitshakas keep their territory down south for just a little bit more.

are thes the young male that attack them it thought there wa 2 left ?

WildRev Offline

And cameras aren't always where there is a kill or where the pride is, rangers also don't record every little actions or sightings they see. 
Anyways, I stand by opinion.

Duco Ndona Online
Contributor

If that were the cause they also wouldnt be seen before.

lionuk Offline
Contributor

These three unknown males were spotted again at Transport Dam on 16th May. 

Are these males Othawa Junior and two Matimba males? Need to ID them
@Tr1x24 
6 users Like lionuk's post

Brahim Offline
Moderators

I recon they could be these young males who were chased by Phabeni males earlier this year

Attached Files Image(s)

10 users Like Brahim's post

Canada Maghreb Offline

(05-19-2022, 07:47 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:

Hmm interesting.

Are her female sub adults still alive?  I wonder if seeking out males to mate with, may sometimes result in female subadults being killed.  Or is the SP female creating a diversion to protect those females?

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(05-20-2022, 05:01 PM)Brahimlegend Wrote: I recon they could be these young males who were chased by Phabeni males earlier this year

Through there you have 2 males with bigger manes and one with small mane, while on the video there are single male with bigger mane and 2 with small manes. Also the one male with bigger mane seems to have very dark mane, while those from your pictures are rather light maned males.
3 users Like Potato's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(05-20-2022, 04:24 PM)lionuk Wrote: Are these males Othawa Junior and two Matimba males? Need to ID them
@Tr1x24 

Footage too low quality fpr that.
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

DARK MANE Offline
Banned

(05-20-2022, 04:24 PM)lionuk Wrote: These three unknown males were spotted again at Transport Dam on 16th May. 

Are these males Othawa Junior and two Matimba males? Need to ID them
@Tr1x24 

Yeah, in the video descriptions the channel is claiming that. I hope this time we get some confirmed news.
1 user Likes DARK MANE's post

Duco Ndona Online
Contributor

Again though. Three lions, which goes against the last known information we have about these guys.
It would make far more sense to look for one or two lions when looking for that specific coalition. 

I know social media has been hyping these guys up into somekind of royal superlions destined for great things.
But we have to be realistic. They are just another group of young nomadic lions out there in a brutal world in which most dont make it. 

I am not saying they cant show up. Some indeed did.. But the chances of all three showing up together is far to low to use the amount of lions as a means of identification in this case.  Rather, its a reason for me to be sceptic.
1 user Likes Duco Ndona's post