There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

United Kingdom Tonpa Offline
Contributor

May 2021 for comparison

*This image is copyright of its original author
5 users Like Tonpa's post

Canada Mdz123 Offline
Contributor

(05-28-2022, 05:20 PM)Tonpa Wrote: May 2021 for comparison

Interesting map, who were the unknown males in western sector? Im guessing ti might be Othhawa subs but im not sure.
2 users Like Mdz123's post

Slayerd Offline
( This post was last modified: 05-28-2022, 07:02 PM by Slayerd )

(05-28-2022, 05:14 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(05-28-2022, 04:30 PM)Slayerd Wrote: The Bboys in my opinion held more land from 2019-2021. The Bboys still held majority of Mala Mala and Londolozi. Lions would occasionally be seen in their territory but the Bboys would push back into those areas. Nhenha was seen patrolling till beyond Bush Camp Sabi Sabi in Aug 2020 and the Bboys pushed even further when chasing the Nwaswitshaka Males earlier that year. The Bboys were even seen in areas beyond what we would consider their territory on occasions such as in Kirkmans Kamp in 2019, Singita on multiple occasions, far east of Mala Mala on multiple occasions, Cheetah Plains 2020 and they would push boundaries when chasing lions. Like Nhenha in northern Londolozi chasing the two Avocas, Singita when he chased the two Nwalungu males, southern Sabi Sabi when chasing the Nwaswitshaka, southern Sabi Sabi when Nhenha chased the Plains Camp males and their sisters, Northern Mala Mala when they chased the Nkuhuma and Avocas(seen at Mlowathi Dam), Eastern border when chasing the Fourways pride and Kruger Males. This is their territory between 2019-2021 IMO. And the yellow circles is the areas they would push on occasion.

Sightings you described, where they where seen, was mostly when they chased out intruders. 

Lions when chasing intruders chase them far out of their territory and borders. Bboys where never considered territorial males at those places you mark with yellow, especially not in the Sabi Sabi (which was empty land before Ndhzengas establish themselves) or Southern MalaMala near Kirkmans Kamp (which is S. Avocas territory) or Singita (which was Othawa male territory). 

Lions also roam occasionaly outside of their territory, i mean even Ndhzengas where seen at Singita in late 2020 if i remember correctly , they where also seen at S1 in Kruger in mid 2021, that doesnt mean they where territorial there. 

Also, Bboys territory in 2018-2020 was bigger then in 2021.

Your map might work for 2018-2020, but not for 2021, as N'ws completley establish themselves south, Bboys where not seen deep at Sabi Sabi after Ndhzengas become territorial (which happened mid to late 2020) , N. Avocas also pushed all the way to MalaMala Main Camp and northern Londolozi to Sand River, and Othawa male took western Londolozi.

So in 2021,Bboys territory looked approx. like this :

Much smaller then in previous years, but yea, from 2018-2020, they had similar territory to what Ndhzengas have now, except that they had boundaries further north, while Ndhzengas have further south.

I think you're misinterpreting what I'm saying. I'm saying 2019-2021. After 2021 began, their territory began to shrink. I'm not saying they controlled this territory in 2021. You're incorrect about the Birmingham Boys not pushing those yellow marked spots as those have actually been seen on video and commented by the reserves on those videos such as Mala Mala saying they chased the Nkuhuma and Fourways pride. I would not count 2018- late 2019 because their territory was much larger in those times. Bboys were seen in Lion Sands and Kirkman Kamp in 2018.  They also controlled a portion of the west. At the start of 2018, they still controlled the north. When Mfumo died, they only abandoned the north. They still controlled the rest. When Nsuku died is when the territory I've shown come into place. Bboys territory in 2018-2019 was far larger than the Ndzhenga Males right now.
2 users Like Slayerd's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 05-28-2022, 07:25 PM by Tr1x24 )

(05-28-2022, 07:00 PM)Slayerd Wrote: I think you're misinterpreting what I'm saying. I'm saying 2019-2021.

So to the beginning of 2021, yes, as i said 2018-2020 years.

They might be seen far south in 2018-Nsuku death, but they where not considered territorial theres, as portions of that land was pretty much empty with few small prides and nomads there and other, eastern part was territory od S. Avocas.

Bboy where never considered territorial males at Sabi Sabi, Lion Sands or Kirkmans Kamp. They where seen there here and there, but as i said, lions roam out of their territory regulary, in searching for new opportunities, chasing other males/prides or during hunts, as its also case with those yellow spots.

Lets not rewrite history, you are saying like in 2018-2019 Bboys territory was all mid and southern Sabi Sands, which is false.

Bboys where never territorial south of this line, if even so:

3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Canada Mdz123 Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 05-28-2022, 08:17 PM by Mdz123 )

(05-28-2022, 07:13 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(05-28-2022, 07:00 PM)Slayerd Wrote: I think you're misinterpreting what I'm saying. I'm saying 2019-2021.

They might be seen far south in 2018-Nsuku death, but they where not considered territorial theres, as portions of that land was pretty much empty with few small prides and nomads there and other, eastern part was territory od S. Avocas.

Bboy where never considered territorial males at Sabi Sabi, Lion Sands or Kirkmans Kamp. They where seen there here and there, but as i said, lions roam out of their territory regulary, in searching for new opportunities, chasing other males/prides or during hunts, as its also case with those yellow spots.

Lets not rewrite history, you are saying like in 2018-2019 Bboys territory was all mid and southern Sabi Sands, which is false.

Well said, the Bboys never really had full control of Southern Sabi Sands. After they expanded and took over central sector in 2018, they were occasionally seen in Southern Sector, and most of the time, they were just exploring, or hunting. At the time the South was also an area with few prides, since Southern and Sparta pride were futher south and Styx pride werent even there at the time. Since lion activty was scarce it makes sence that Bboys never controlled that area.

Also, in 2018, the Mantimahles and Charlestons had full control of the Southern sector. These 2 coalitions moved away later that year, but Bboys didnt see the unoccupied land as new opportunities, so they didnt expand south. S. Avocas and Tsalala boys would quickly move in and fill the void.
3 users Like Mdz123's post

Slayerd Offline
( This post was last modified: 05-28-2022, 10:35 PM by Slayerd )

(05-28-2022, 07:13 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:

I'm not saying they controlled Kirkmans Kamp and Lion Sands, I'm just saying they pushed that far south. They never controlled Southern Sabi Sands but they did control a portion of it. Sabi Sabi and Southern Mala Mala was under their control. The fact that they were seen in Lion Sands and Kirkmans Kamp tells you their dynamics were not far off from those areas and they were comfortable enough to push into Lion Sands and Kirkmans Kamp. The only portions of Sabi Sands that the Bboys haven't controlled, at some point in their reign, is everything south of Mala Mala and Sabi Sabi and everything west of Singita which Nhenha is currently changing to an extent.
1 user Likes Slayerd's post

Slayerd Offline

I want to repeat something I once said before. I don't think we can view lions territories in shapes. We can use shapes because it's all we have but lions territories are more of a presence. I don't think the Bboys took a walk in a line down from Sabi Sabi to Mala Mala and then back up and then back west. When another lion comes across a tree or scent marked area, it is a warning that beyond that tree, there is a presence that is a threat to them. Territory borders can fluctuate but as long as a lion has an active presence in an area, it is a part of their territory. Towards the end of their reign, the Bboys just marked wherever they travelled, they never really patrolled as much as they used to.
3 users Like Slayerd's post

DARK MANE Offline
Banned
( This post was last modified: 05-29-2022, 03:04 AM by DARK MANE )

Well I have also asked some of my sources and they cleared it that the video in which the lion waking the lion pride was nwaswitshaka males not N. Avocas for sure.
 Well I also was highly doubtful that it were avocas as in the last the walking style was clearly not of the blonde. I asked them just for clearence. 

This is the latest video of blonde avoca. A few hours ago. Forget about running, he can just stand, sit and lie down.

https://youtu.be/HmTvOeCfzrc

I am writing this only because in the last comments there is comparison of size of territory ( current dominant males and former ones) . So could get much clearance.

PS: I really hope just by comparing the hip area and lion condition ( of this video and previous) it will be pretty clear to everyone that they are nwaswitshaka not avocas.
3 users Like DARK MANE's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 05-29-2022, 04:05 AM by Tr1x24 )

(05-29-2022, 02:32 AM)DARK MANE Wrote: PS: I really hope just by comparing the hip area and lion condition ( of this video and previous) it will be pretty clear to everyone that they are nwaswitshaka not avocas.

No, its definitely N. Avocas. 

Regardless of 2nd male, first male is 100% Mohawk Avoca and neither of Amahle or Orange Eyes :

Also, that happened around 1 month ago, its was in MalaMala report from last month.
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

WildRev Offline
( This post was last modified: 05-29-2022, 04:03 AM by WildRev )

@DARK MANE 

That's mohawk for sure, change your sources
4 users Like WildRev's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(05-28-2022, 10:33 PM)Slayerd Wrote: Sabi Sabi and Southern Mala Mala was under their control.

Sabi Sabi was never under control of Bboys, except very north/northeast,same as far Southern MalaMala, since 2018 that was S. Avocas, Bboys had no prides there, so no point of controling those areas, as Kambulas core territory was always around 2 MalaMala Camps in the central MalaMala, but whatever.

DARK MANE Offline
Banned

(05-29-2022, 04:02 AM)WildRev Wrote: That's mohawk for sure, change your sources
Well,  Mohawk and wildwild nose ( uboso) are new coalition partners then because the second lion running into the bushes in last is 1000% not blonde. 
Blonde has broken/ displaced foreleg and in 100s of videos on quiet eagle and painted wolf I have seen that. and i can identify it blindly.
1 user Likes DARK MANE's post

United States sik94 Offline
Sikander Hayat

(05-29-2022, 04:27 AM)DARK MANE Wrote:
(05-29-2022, 04:02 AM)WildRev Wrote: That's mohawk for sure, change your sources
Well,  Mohawk and wildwild nose ( uboso) are new coalition partners then because the second lion running into the bushes in last is 1000% not blonde. 
Blonde has broken/ displaced foreleg and in 100s of videos on quiet eagle and painted wolf I have seen that. and i can identify it blindly.

Blondie has always been super skinny around the hips and back legs, Ubuso has a limp and one bad leg but he isn't that skinny. It's very obvious that the first male is Mohawk, I don't think Ubuso and him would be hanging out like this. I'm very sure it's Blondie.
3 users Like sik94's post

United States criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

(05-29-2022, 04:27 AM)DARK MANE Wrote: Blonde has broken/ displaced foreleg and in 100s of videos on quiet eagle and painted wolf I have seen that. and i can identify it blindly.

You have basically perfectly described the second lions seen in the video. Pronounced favoring of his left front paw.

Uboso doesn’t Limp this way from his club foot, he does currently limp from his rear right leg/hip.
2 users Like criollo2mil's post

United Kingdom Tonpa Offline
Contributor

"A Plains Camp Male patiently waiting for the Mangene female to stir for their next mating bout"

10 users Like Tonpa's post