There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 7 Vote(s) - 4.43 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Netherlands Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

It doesn't seem to be anything more severe than a good story. They wouldn't have stated she was adapting well otherwise.
2 users Like Duco Ndona's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

PC males :

Photo Credits : Singita

*This image is copyright of its original author
13 users Like Tr1x24's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(12-31-2021, 09:52 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: PC males :

Photo Credits : Singita

Gorgeous boys! The one in the back looks a bit bigger from this angle. I can't wait to see the PC offspring in the SS.
3 users Like Timbavati's post

Hairy tummy Offline

9 users Like Hairy tummy's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 01-01-2022, 05:23 PM by Tonpa )

Speaking of deaths, is my log of Births and Deaths correct? 

January

Births
-Six Torchwood Cubs

Deaths
- Three Kambula cubs via mange
- One Mhangene cub via unknown causes
- Sparta adult lioness via reported jaw injury and loss of condition

February

Births & Deaths
- Nothing reported

March

Births
- Five Kambula Cubs
- Four Mhangeni Cubs

Deaths
- Two Mhangeni cubs after pride interaction with Ndzhenga males
- Hairy Belly Matimba believed to have passed away via old age

April

Births
- Three Mhangene cubs
 -Five Nkuhuma cubs
- Seven Styx cubs
- Three Othawa cubs

Deaths
-Sparta Sub-adult via unknown causes
-Two Talamati sub-adult females according to Arathusa Guide Roy Mkansi (unconfirmed)

May

Births
- Two Nkuhuma cubs
- Three Othawa cubs

Deaths
- Othawa Male killed by Birmingham Males
- Two Mhangene cubs via unknown causes

June

Deaths
Three Mhangene cubs via unknown causes

July

Births
Four Kambula cubs
Unknown number of Mhangene cubs never seen
Unknown number of Talamati cubs never seen
Four Styx cubs
Three Torchwood cubs
Three Sand River cubs

Deaths
Unknown number of Mhangene cubs never seen
One Mhangene cubs via unknown causes
Two Kambula cubs killed by Blondie Avoca
Two Torchwood cubs via unknown causes (actual month of death unknown)
Nkuhuma sub-adult male as a result of broken leg

August

Births
Four Kambula cubs
Two Sand River cubs

Deaths
Styx Young male killed by Mhangene pride
Unknown number of Talamati cubs never seen

September

Births
Three or Four Nwaswitshaka breakaway cubs

Deaths
Injured Eye/Skinny Tumbela via loss of condition
Talamati Sub-adult male via unknown causes
Ximhungwe sub-adult female via unknown causes

October

Deaths
Nkuhuma Sub-adult female killed by Plains Camp Males
Birmingham/Gowrie Male Tinyo via unknown causes

November

Deaths
Seven Kambula cubs via Ndzhenga males interaction
Tsalala Adult lioness killed by Nkuhuma Females and Plains camp coalition

December

Births
Unknown number of Talamati Cubs

- 61 known cub births + Unknown Talamati/Mhagene litters
- 23 known cub deaths + Unknown Talamati/Mhangene litters
- Five sub-adult deaths + Unknown Talamati sub-adult females(?)/Othawa sub-adult male(?)
- Two adult lioness deaths
- Five adult male deaths

Alot of the cub birth months are guestimations since we don't see them for upto 3 months
8 users Like Tonpa's post

Contributor

Seems accurate at first glance.. 

I wonder how the Othawa subadults fit into this this though. 
its safe to say that the subadult that went back with Gingerella is death now. 
While Jr and his partner have been missing for months now in Kruger.
2 users Like Duco Ndona's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 01-01-2022, 02:51 PM by Tonpa )

New year, same bush 
Amber eyes Nkuhuma
7 users Like Tonpa's post

RookiePundit Offline
( This post was last modified: 01-01-2022, 07:30 PM by RookiePundit )

Styx Young male killed by Mhangene pride - this needs an asterisk at least. Personally I would have written due to (specified injury) of uknown cause. Mhangeni seemed long gone before
it happened to him (according what I gathered on Wild Fact).

Othawa sub-adult male is likely dead, but not sure which month he disappeared.  The other two whatevet happened to them, didn't happen in Sabi Sands so they don't qualify for the summary imho.

I completely missed the loss of 7 Kambula cubs, not that their chances are/were any good.

Edit: Negative reputation from a newly join account with 2 posts total. Be proud of yourself, weak little man.

Tonpa Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 01-01-2022, 05:22 PM by Tonpa )

From what I remember he had a puncture wound after stealing a kill from the Mhangenis that was still bleeding when a photographer came across him, and and was then recorded by londolozi to have been found in a pool of blood with the same wound noted

PC boys in Western Sector
Photos by Dulini lodge

Guess they've left the Nkuhuma girls now that they're both presumably pregnant and not receptive to mating
9 users Like Tonpa's post

criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

(01-01-2022, 05:19 PM)Tonpa Wrote: From what I remember he had a puncture wound after stealing a kill from the Mhangenis that was still bleeding when a photographer came across him, and and was then recorded by londolozi to have been found in a pool of blood with the same wound noted

Photos by Dulini lodge

Guess they've left the Nkuhuma girls now that they're both presumably pregnant and not receptive to mating

Two separate reserves have intimated it was a result of some conflict with Mhangeni.   So while it’s of course only speculation due to not being directly witnessed, it is based on their summation of evidence
1 user Likes criollo2mil's post

Contributor

That's concerning news. I hope that the Tumbellas can convince them to go elsewhere before they go run into the pride. 

Its surprising they didn't went south though. Nym an the Mhangeni are a much more obvious target.
1 user Likes Duco Ndona's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Theres no evidence that Othawa subadult male who was with Gingerella is dead, he might just as well left for Kruger in search for his brothers (which is more likely, i doubt Tumbelas would kill him without scratch, especially as 1 male is not in best "fighting" condition, but ofc they might not be the reason of his demise).

I think "missing" is more appropriate term then claiming that he is dead.
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 01-01-2022, 06:11 PM by Tr1x24 )

(01-01-2022, 05:42 PM)Duco Ndona Wrote: That's concerning news. I hope that the Tumbellas can convince them to go elsewhere before they go run into the pride. 

Its surprising they didn't went south though. Nym an the Mhangeni are a much more obvious target.

Them showing up in western sector (they did this before many times) doesnt mean that they will challenge Tumbelas, they are nomads afterall.

I think Tumbelas and Othawas are pretty safe from these 2, 2 Tumbelas and Othawa females with cubs to defend are prob enough to keep them at bay, especially as they have much easier target in Mhangeni pride.
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Contributor
( This post was last modified: 01-01-2022, 07:14 PM by Duco Ndona )

I don't think that sub adult would have left Gingerella by his own choice after trailing her from all the way to Kruger. Or would have ran straight back to Kruger. 
Most likely he would have stayed close until being chased of by the Tumbellas and started roaming around on his own afterwards. 
If he lived long afterwards, he would have been seen, just like any other nomadic male. But I guess he died not long after. 
There are plenty of dangers in the wild that don't involve other lions. In any case, he hasnt been seen for months now.

I have no doubt that the Tumbellas can hold of the PC males. They dont seem confident enough to take on male lions, including the singular lions like Nym or DM avoca. 
But there is always a chance of them running into a lone lioness or cub.
1 user Likes Duco Ndona's post

RookiePundit Offline

(01-01-2022, 05:37 PM)criollo2mil Wrote:
(01-01-2022, 05:19 PM)Tonpa Wrote: From what I remember he had a puncture wound after stealing a kill from the Mhangenis that was still bleeding when a photographer came across him, and and was then recorded by londolozi to have been found in a pool of blood with the same wound noted

Photos by Dulini lodge

Two separate reserves have intimated it was a result of some conflict with Mhangeni.   So while it’s of course only speculation due to not being directly witnessed, it is based on their summation of evidence

Yes, they took their kill. But from the pictures posted it was colncluded he was without that injury when Mhangeni were no longer present, which would make hyena or Nkuhuma male the likely culprit (as those were present). The timeline ofc could be misinterpreted I guess Mhangeni can't be ruled out completely, but it is what it is.