There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

LegendSafaris are in Singita today. They found the Mhangenes with their one cub, and the NK male with a Mhangene female elsewhere. They also found the PC boys still in Singita.

*This image is copyright of its original author

9 users Like Tonpa's post

United States criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

(01-01-2022, 09:29 PM)Potato Wrote: That PC males are starting to move around more, doesn't mean they are abandoning Nkuchuma females. Northern Singita is very small arena for a male coalition so it is natural and expected that PC males will be trying to aquire much more land around if possible.

(01-03-2022, 01:32 AM)Tonpa Wrote: Apparently one of them gave birth two weeks ago!

I saw suckle markings…same with Ximungwe showing markings also
4 users Like criollo2mil's post

Canada Mdz123 Offline
Contributor

(01-03-2022, 01:32 AM)Tonpa Wrote: Apparently one of them gave birth two weeks ago!

So the Talamati lioness gave birth to the Imbali male’s cubs?
4 users Like Mdz123's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Yes, with two more lionesses pregnant
4 users Like Tonpa's post

Canada Mdz123 Offline
Contributor

(01-03-2022, 04:20 AM)Tonpa Wrote: Yes, with two more lionesses pregnant

Can these cubs get accepted by DM in case the females return to the main pride? I know he didnt mate with the lionesses but its his pride technically
3 users Like Mdz123's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Maybe, nothing is black and white in the bush! 

But these females will probably stay away from DM and the core pride. 

To protect their cubs and to ensure their cubs actually get food without the sub-adults eating everything

South Africa Wyld@Heart Offline

(01-03-2022, 04:25 AM)Mdz123 Wrote: Can these cubs get accepted by DM in case the females return to the main pride? I know he didnt mate with the lionesses but its his pride technically
That ship has sailed for Dark Mane, I'm afraid. Nothing is impossible but realistically these females see S8 as the more viable mate and he has taken that part of the territory. Lions don't work in technicalities; they're no longer Dark Mane's pride at this moment in time and the lionesses won't take their cubs near him or let him near them unless he makes a comeback which, as stated before, is not impossible and if a comeback does take place it is likely he will not tolerate them.
3 users Like Wyld@Heart's post

Duco Ndona Online
Contributor

I agree. The lionesses with the subadults will likely stay with him a bit longer. But in the long run it doesnt look good for him. 

It seems the Turntables have turned dramatically against the Avocas lately. Last year they were successfully pushing south and predicted to take over the Kambulas. 
Now they have retreated north with the Imbali and PC males seriously sawing on their legs and the Nwaswitshakas on their southern border.

They can still recover, but they really need to start working together again and showing some teeth.
3 users Like Duco Ndona's post

lionuk Offline
Contributor

On a cooler morning, after a large amount of rain, the Styx Pride were seen resting on the warm road.

6 users Like lionuk's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(01-03-2022, 12:52 PM)Duco Ndona Wrote: It seems the Turntables have turned dramatically against the Avocas lately. Last year they were successfully pushing south and predicted to take over the Kambulas. 
(01-03-2022, 12:52 PM)Duco Ndona Wrote: Now they have retreated north with the Imbali and PC males seriously sawing on their legs and the Nwaswitshakas on their southern border.

They can still recover, but they really need to start working together again and showing some teeth.

N. Avocas sired 1 generation of cubs thru Talamatis and Nkuhumas, its quite naturally that females are searching for new males for their 2nd generation of cubs (its very rare that 1 coalition succesfully sired 2 generations in the same prides). 

Yes, Imbali male overpowered DM, but Blondie/Mohawk didn't lost any ground to Plains Camp males, 2 Nkuhuma females moved to Singita to mate with them, and obiviously, they cant do nothing against 4 N'ws for Kambulas, even tho they tryed to match them. 

Dont think N. Avocas are in problem, if they turn north together, they could easily oust Imbali male out of there, but i think the main focus of Blondie/Mohawk atm is to protect their young cubs of 3 younger Nkuhuma females, abandoning them means death for those cubs.
4 users Like Tr1x24's post

1ofCourage Offline

(01-03-2022, 11:15 AM)Wyld@Heart Wrote:
(01-03-2022, 04:25 AM)Mdz123 Wrote: Can these cubs get accepted by DM in case the females return to the main pride? I know he didnt mate with the lionesses but its his pride technically
That ship has sailed for Dark Mane, I'm afraid. Nothing is impossible but realistically these females see S8 as the more viable mate and he has taken that part of the territory. Lions don't work in technicalities; they're no longer Dark Mane's pride at this moment in time and the lionesses won't take their cubs near him or let him near them unless he makes a comeback which, as stated before, is not impossible and if a comeback does take place it is likely he will not tolerate them.
I always think in terms of 3 years.  For instance, can DM reign another 3 years to protect another batch of cubs?
I think lionesses think like that too in some way.
Dark Mane may be in terrible pain now.  He is always sitting or sleeping as if it's his only peace. I don't think that he can hunt either, only scavenge.
I really like DM a lot, but I don't think he could make it another 3 years to raise and protect cubs.
How he's made it this far with that bum ankle has been amazing!  The amount of walking he's done, day after day with possible arthritis, is a testimony to his sheer determination.
He went to his brothers when he needed help with S8 to no avail.
He knows his limitations and abilities.
3 users Like 1ofCourage's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

S8 male has his own problems now too. Last month the Kruger male had an interaction with the Imbali lionesses, stealing a kill from them. And last week he was in south east Manyeleti
6 users Like Tonpa's post

Gavskrr Offline

(01-03-2022, 08:32 PM)Tonpa Wrote: S8 male has his own problems now too. Last month the Kruger male had an interaction with the Imbali lionesses, stealing a kill from them. And last week he was in south east Manyeleti

Speaking of Kruger male, when was the last time the two were seen? recently I just remember seeing one
2 users Like Gavskrr's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

(01-03-2022, 08:54 PM)Gavskrr Wrote:
(01-03-2022, 08:32 PM)Tonpa Wrote: S8 male has his own problems now too. Last month the Kruger male had an interaction with the Imbali lionesses, stealing a kill from them. And last week he was in south east Manyeleti

Speaking of Kruger male, when was the last time the two were seen? recently I just remember seeing one

MalaMala saw them both on September 7th I think that was the last sighting of the second male. I saw them both on Nkorho Cam on the September 4th.

United States criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

(01-03-2022, 09:06 PM)Tonpa Wrote:
(01-03-2022, 08:54 PM)Gavskrr Wrote:

MalaMala saw them both on September 7th I think that was the last sighting of the second male. I saw them both on Nkorho Cam on the September 4th.

I believe this is that sighting?

Attached Files Image(s)

5 users Like criollo2mil's post