There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(12-27-2021, 11:04 AM)sik94 Wrote:
(12-27-2021, 09:52 AM)Wyld@Heart Wrote: I watch Wild Earth as at least it is live and is possible to keep up with the coalitions and prides in that area as it happens so being possible to see their condition first hand, as it were. Apart from Steve, though, listen to the guides at your own peril. Lauren in particular was as annoying as ****.

I was watching the clip posted above live and it was a tough listen. Could be a language and communication difficulty but that's no excuse for fudging such well known information such as the history and origin of DM and the pride in question. Rexson is a fixture at Djuma, I believe, and has been part of the guiding team for ages apparently. A quick Google, although the page does not seem to open, notes him as the Safari and Habitat manager at Djuma. He obviously knows the bush, one would expect a little more accurate information than what he delivered.

The guides who do this work 24/7 aren't lion enthusiasts, Rexson probably doesn't care what pride DM originated from or his whole story. He probably isn't on the internet all day either to religiously keep up with lion dynamics in the whole of ss. Lauren does an okay job if I'm honest but obviously she's nowhere near as good as Brent or James were. Just take everything they say with a pinch of salt and try to corroborate it with your own research before fully taking it on as fact.

What happened to Brent? I'm sure there are plenty of videos that followed, but one of the last videos I saw with him, he literally drug a carcass to attract the pride to a lost cub that he found living with some males. I enjoyed his videos, and his commentary was typically very well informed, and great to listen to.
2 users Like BA0701's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 12-28-2021, 12:11 AM by Tonpa )

(12-28-2021, 12:06 AM)BA0701 Wrote:
(12-27-2021, 09:52 AM)Wyld@Heart Wrote: I watch Wild Earth as at least it is live and is possible to keep up with the coalitions and prides in that area as it happens so being possible to see their condition first hand, as it were. Apart from Steve, though, listen to the guides at your own peril. Lauren in particular was as annoying as ****.

I was watching the clip posted above live and it was a tough listen. Could be a language and communication difficulty but that's no excuse for fudging such well known information such as the history and origin of DM and the pride in question. Rexson is a fixture at Djuma, I believe, and has been part of the guiding team for ages apparently. A quick Google, although the page does not seem to open, notes him as the Safari and Habitat manager at Djuma. He obviously knows the bush, one would expect a little more accurate information than what he delivered.

The guides who do this work 24/7 aren't lion enthusiasts, Rexson probably doesn't care what pride DM originated from or his whole story. He probably isn't on the internet all day either to religiously keep up with lion dynamics in the whole of ss. Lauren does an okay job if I'm honest but obviously she's nowhere near as good as Brent or James were. Just take everything they say with a pinch of salt and try to corroborate it with your own research before fully taking it on as fact.

What happened to Brent? I'm sure there are plenty of videos that followed, but one of the last videos I saw with him, he literally drug a carcass to attract the pride to a lost cub that he found living with some males. I enjoyed his videos, and his commentary was typically very well informed, and great to listen to.

Brent works as part of Painteddogtv now, they operate at Pridelands, the same location the WildEarth Ecotraining folks broadcasts from. It's mostly wildlife cams I believe but they also do live drives, here's one from a few days ago https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsiVQ0-nUOc
3 users Like Tonpa's post

Super Moderator
( This post was last modified: 12-28-2021, 12:31 AM by BA0701 )

(12-28-2021, 12:10 AM)Tonpa Wrote:
(12-28-2021, 12:06 AM)BA0701 Wrote:

Brent works as part of Painteddogtv now, they operate at Pridelands, the same location the WildEarth Ecotraining folks broadcasts from. It's mostly wildlife cams I believe but they also do live drives, here's one from a few days ago https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsiVQ0-nUOc

Thanks man! I only mentioned the incident with the cub, as it had caused a stir with some, so I hoped he hadn't had troubles from that.
1 user Likes BA0701's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(12-27-2021, 11:40 PM)Tonpa Wrote: First PC babies soon? 
Photo by qcs1976

*This image is copyright of its original author
I hope. Those Plains Camp males are turning into good looking lions.
3 users Like Timbavati's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 12-28-2021, 02:34 AM by Tr1x24 )

(12-28-2021, 01:17 AM)Timbavati Wrote: I hope. Those Plains Camp males are turning into good looking lions.

Singita didn't stated anything yet, but are 2 Nkuhumas (Ridge Nose and Amber Eyes) now completely split off and under control of 2 PC males?

Nkuhumas are also hard to follow these days, looks like they are split in 3 gruops, 2 old females with PC males, 2 with subs and 3 younger with cubs.

Nkuhumas, Talamatis and Kambulas are in complete mess right now, spliting all over the place.
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Netherlands Duco Ndona Online
Contributor

Its hard to say. 
I don't think they are fully under their control but rather the lionesses playing both fields for the time being. 
However the PC males are becoming a serious force in the region and are already undermining the Avocas. I can easily see them taking over parts of the Nkuhuma pride, the Talamati pride or the Mhangeni pride in the near future. 

The Kambula pride is currently being taken over. So they are probably just splitting up in groups with different goals in that conflict.
Once the cubs are death and they accept that the BBoys era is over they will likely join up again.

Super Moderator

Not sure who the Talamatis and Dark Mane tangled with, they are all scratched and bitten, and the one sub male, I believe it's #3 (def not #2, who's easily discernable with his own dark mane), has a slight limp. He is absolutely enormous btw. But, she is now saying it could possibly be the Torchwood pride. If that's the case, then it could explain the missing cubs.

7 users Like BA0701's post

Canada Mdz123 Offline
Contributor

(12-28-2021, 03:30 AM)BA0701 Wrote: Not sure who the Talamatis and Dark Mane tangled with, they are all scratched and bitten, and the one sub male, I believe it's #3 (def not #2, who's easily discernable with his own dark mane), has a slight limp. He is absolutely enormous btw. But, she is now saying it could possibly be the Torchwood pride. If that's the case, then it could explain the missing cubs.

Another possibility is Imbali male, again…
4 users Like Mdz123's post

Canada Mdz123 Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 12-28-2021, 04:21 AM by Mdz123 )

Mangheni cub, who is still alive today
Posted by Singita

8 users Like Mdz123's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

One of the new Nkuhuma mothers this morning on WildEarth has injured her front arm. She was not able to put any weight on it. Tessa said it was swollen to double the size 

*This image is copyright of its original author
7 users Like Tonpa's post

RookiePundit Offline

Just watching it and came to post here. They are speculation it is fully broken posssibly from a giraffe hunt (seems like hearsay is that lions hunting giraffes happened recently)
3 users Like RookiePundit's post

Super Moderator

(12-28-2021, 04:16 AM)Mdz123 Wrote:
(12-28-2021, 03:30 AM)BA0701 Wrote: Not sure who the Talamatis and Dark Mane tangled with, they are all scratched and bitten, and the one sub male, I believe it's #3 (def not #2, who's easily discernable with his own dark mane), has a slight limp. He is absolutely enormous btw. But, she is now saying it could possibly be the Torchwood pride. If that's the case, then it could explain the missing cubs.

I had considered that, but I am not sure a single male could have done that much damage to so many lions, including DM, at the same time. Pethaps, I suppose, but conflict with another pride, for me, seems more likely.
2 users Like BA0701's post

Gijima Offline

(12-28-2021, 08:19 PM)BA0701 Wrote:

I had considered that, but I am not sure a single male could have done that much damage to so many lions, including DM, at the same time. Pethaps, I suppose, but conflict with another pride, for me, seems more likely.

There was no damage to any lions though, including DM. Minor scratches and a bit of stiffness when a sub adult stood up was exaggerated to be a “fight”.  ALL lions have superficial injuries on them. Look at the Nkuhumas and Kambulas for example who often look way rougher than the Talamatis. Thank goddness when Silver Eye was attacked by hyenas it was caught on film. Can you image what people would have said if they saw her with puncture wounds near her tail and no video?

The truth is nature isn’t exciting like Brothers in Blood everyday. Prides in this area have over a 10 year history of living together with almost no conflict. Most injuries in the wild are from hunting or natural causes.
1 user Likes Gijima's post

Netherlands Duco Ndona Online
Contributor

I think even Meercats which have the biggest murder to other causes ratio lose only 20% to interspecies violence.

Super Moderator

(12-28-2021, 08:39 PM)Gijima Wrote:
(12-28-2021, 08:19 PM)BA0701 Wrote:

There was no damage to any lions though, including DM. Minor scratches and a bit of stiffness when a sub adult stood up was exaggerated to be a “fight”.  ALL lions have superficial injuries on them. Look at the Nkuhumas and Kambulas for example who often look way rougher than the Talamatis. Thank goddness when Silver Eye was attacked by hyenas it was caught on film. Can you image what people would have said if they saw her with puncture wounds near her tail and no video?

The truth is nature isn’t exciting like Brothers in Blood everyday. Prides in this area have over a 10 year history of living together with almost no conflict. Most injuries in the wild are from hunting or natural causes.

There were bites to some of their backs, and one female had a decent size cut to her back. Granted we can't see on DM, since he never stands up.
1 user Likes BA0701's post