There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 7 Vote(s) - 4.43 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator
( This post was last modified: 12-27-2021, 02:40 AM by BA0701 )

Says it was filmed today. From other recent pics, it doesn't seem they have moved very much. But Dark Mane definitely needs a meal. The whole lot of them show signs of having been in a recent skirmish.

BTW, I am not sure who Rexon is, but according to the comments on this video, "the 3rd Talamanti Prince is up in the north territory according to rexon"

7 users Like BA0701's post

criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

Extract of todays WE Live with Dark Mane and Talamatis.  It’s a bit cringy to hear the guide totally fumble the history of Dark Mane and  the Pride and even intimate that Dark Mane inbred with his own Pride (yikes).  Unless I totally misheard his explanation he also thinks NKuhumas are a breakaway of the Talamati (it’s actually the other way around) 

I don’t like to publicly speak Ill of guides, but I’ve noticed that WE has many new guides that have shared lots of bad information and even make up stories.  

In the video you can see (short tailed female/ he calls her deformed??) sporting a recent injury

5 users Like criollo2mil's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(12-27-2021, 03:17 AM)criollo2mil Wrote: Extract of todays WE Live with Dark Mane and Talamatis.  It’s a bit cringy to hear the guide totally fumble the history of Dark Mane and  the Pride and even intimate that Dark Mane inbred with his own Pride (yikes).  Unless I totally misheard his explanation he also thinks NKuhumas are a breakaway of the Talamati (it’s actually the other way around) 

I don’t like to publicly speak Ill of guides, but I’ve noticed that WE has many new guides that have shared lots of bad information and even make up stories.  

In the video you can see (short tailed female/ he calls her deformed??) sporting a recent injury

Yeah, he was kind of all over the place, stating that some lions can have deformities as a result of inbreeding, and did appear to at least suggest that DM may breed with his own daughter, or at least that is what I understood him to be saying.
2 users Like BA0701's post

United States kobe8jf1234 Offline

(12-26-2021, 11:54 PM)Tonpa Wrote: Torchwood pride finally made an appearance 
Seems only 1 small cub remains?

*This image is copyright of its original author

what happen pride take over ? how many cubs did they have before ?

Gijima Offline

(12-27-2021, 03:17 AM)criollo2mil Wrote: Extract of todays WE Live with Dark Mane and Talamatis.  It’s a bit cringy to hear the guide totally fumble the history of Dark Mane and  the Pride and even intimate that Dark Mane inbred with his own Pride (yikes).  Unless I totally misheard his explanation he also thinks NKuhumas are a breakaway of the Talamati (it’s actually the other way around) 

Cringe doesn’t even begin to describe Wild Earth. You’re being too kind, really. Short tail always has a permanent wound on her that never heals because of her injuries as a cub.  She’s not deformed, but what even is WE without outright insulting the lions eh? Wink They do desperately need a meal. Hope they can feed soon.
3 users Like Gijima's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

(12-27-2021, 05:19 AM)kobe8jf1234 Wrote:
(12-26-2021, 11:54 PM)Tonpa Wrote: Torchwood pride finally made an appearance 
Seems only 1 small cub remains?

what happen pride take over ? how many cubs did they have before ?

I don't think so, that looks like the same Kruger male with the notched ear but it's hard to tell. 

Just life in the wild I guess, they had 10 cubs last I counted in October. 3 new small cubs and 7 larger almost sub-adult cubs.

Hopefully they make more appearances in the coming days
1 user Likes Tonpa's post

South Africa Wyld@Heart Offline

I watch Wild Earth as at least it is live and is possible to keep up with the coalitions and prides in that area as it happens so being possible to see their condition first hand, as it were. Apart from Steve, though, listen to the guides at your own peril. Lauren in particular was as annoying as ****.

I was watching the clip posted above live and it was a tough listen. Could be a language and communication difficulty but that's no excuse for fudging such well known information such as the history and origin of DM and the pride in question. Rexson is a fixture at Djuma, I believe, and has been part of the guiding team for ages apparently. A quick Google, although the page does not seem to open, notes him as the Safari and Habitat manager at Djuma. He obviously knows the bush, one would expect a little more accurate information than what he delivered.
2 users Like Wyld@Heart's post

United States sik94 Offline
Sikander Hayat
( This post was last modified: 12-27-2021, 11:35 AM by sik94 )

(12-27-2021, 10:22 AM)Wyld@Heart Wrote: I watch Wild Earth as at least it is live and is possible to keep up with the coalitions and prides in that area as it happens so being possible to see their condition first hand, as it were. Apart from Steve, though, listen to the guides at your own peril. Lauren in particular was as annoying as ****.

I was watching the clip posted above live and it was a tough listen. Could be a language and communication difficulty but that's no excuse for fudging such well known information such as the history and origin of DM and the pride in question. Rexson is a fixture at Djuma, I believe, and has been part of the guiding team for ages apparently. A quick Google, although the page does not seem to open, notes him as the Safari and Habitat manager at Djuma. He obviously knows the bush, one would expect a little more accurate information than what he delivered.

The guides who do this work 24/7 aren't lion enthusiasts, Rexson probably doesn't care what pride DM originated from or his whole story. He probably isn't on the internet all day either to religiously keep up with lion dynamics in the whole of ss. Lauren does an okay job if I'm honest but obviously she's nowhere near as good as Brent or James were. Just take everything they say with a pinch of salt and try to corroborate it with your own research before fully taking it on as fact.
2 users Like sik94's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Nkuhumas this morning 

3 users Like Tonpa's post

South Africa Wyld@Heart Offline

(12-27-2021, 11:34 AM)sik94 Wrote: The guides who do this work 24/7 aren't lion enthusiasts, Rexson probably doesn't care what pride DM originated from or his whole story. He probably isn't on the internet all day either to religiously keep up with lion dynamics in the whole of ss. Lauren does an okay job if I'm honest but obviously she's nowhere near as good as Brent or James were. Just take everything they say with a pinch of salt and try to corroborate it with your own research before fully taking it on as fact.

A pound of salt would be better, lol. I think they're wildlife enthusiasts with lions and their dynamics being part of that at the very least. They are in that environment 24/7 over years sometimes and if we equate that to how proficient we become in our chosen professions over time it's startling that misinformation in theirs is so rife. They may not be on the internet daily to keep updated on what's going on but remember the information the internet is getting is coming from guys like this and not the other way around. It's not like a guide at Ngala is coming onto the internet, reading about the Ross males and going, "oh wow, now it makes sense", now is it?

They literally have their boots on the ground, a network of guides around them that they are familiar and socialize with at times. It's not too much to expect that they are familiar with the wildlife on their properties. I mean, what are they then telling the guests that splurge an arm and a leg to go there? In contrast to the highly specific game reports coming out of Mala Mala, for example, it all appears to be a little amateurish these days.
3 users Like Wyld@Heart's post

lionuk Offline
Contributor

One of the Talamati subadult males seen sleeping yesterday. Bless him! 
Credit: Jennifer Suzuki

7 users Like lionuk's post

lionuk Offline
Contributor

Great to see Gingerella and Ximhungwe queen together again today.
Credit: diffmarimane

8 users Like lionuk's post

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

We need to keep in mind that the main job of these guides is tracking down a wide variety of animals and entertaining guest. We cant expect them to have memorized entire encyclopedias on animal behavoir, zoology and local history on their first week. Some also never develop in a lion follower but rather focus for example on Leopards like Londolozi as a whole does.

Just like us, they learn most of that overtime as they watch and talk with others. But that takes time.
But once they are there, they have a clear advantage as they are not limited by whatever is caught on camera and shared online.

So be gentle and just remember that having some skepticism is always a healthy thing. We are hardly in a exact science with control samples, repeated experiments and 100% coverage.
3 users Like Duco Ndona's post

Gijima Offline

(12-27-2021, 02:06 PM)lionuk Wrote: One of the Talamati subadult males seen sleeping yesterday. Bless him! 
Credit: Jennifer Suzuki

This is his brother, the youngest male who has been missing since Nov. I guess he was split and never found his way back. He was a beauty, reminded me a lot of Blondie Avoca but I guess it’s just part of nature. At least the two biggest boys have each other. 

5 users Like Gijima's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

First PC babies soon? 
Photo by qcs1976

5 users Like Tonpa's post