There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 7 Vote(s) - 4.43 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Buffalo and Nkuhuma youngsters. 

He survived the initial encounter, but they removed his gonads and he presumably bled out somewhere
8 users Like Tonpa's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Kambula cub

6 users Like Tonpa's post

1ofCourage Offline

(11-29-2021, 08:52 AM)DE_66 Wrote:
(11-26-2021, 12:50 AM)sundarbans Wrote: Has there been any updates about the Tsalalas? Is it confirmed that the PC males were the ones that killed the Tsalala Princess and what would be the reason for their doing so? And any news about the daughter?

I don't think there was ever any proof presented that it was the PC Males other than the fact that they seen in the vicinity of the body.  Them being nearby means nothing, though.  Something had been eating the carcass. They could have followed the vultures or the sound of scavengers consuming the body.  

Or maybe it was them who killed her.  There's no proof, only speculation.  But it wasn't the the PC Males IMO.  The Mbiri Pride killed a rival lioness last year, then Junior Matimba/Nkuhuma showed up and started eating her.  He was there, but wasn't responsible for her death.
I disagree with you about who killed the Tsalala lioness. Of course it is only a guess.
It is true that there is no direct proof that the PC males killed the Tsalala lioness, but there is circumstantial proof for not only this death and their being in the proximity, but also for the Ximhungwe sub adult lioness disappearance since they were seen very near them around the time when the sub adult lioness disappeared. To me that is just too suspect. 

I saw no injuries on the Marthly lioness save the obvious gutting but also the bite to the back of the head, right where many males gently bite when mating. I believe she was trying to protect her daughter by being the target.  She obviously submitted to mating, but was killed anyway.  Anyone could have began to eat her then.

I do believe that Junior did not kill the Koppies' lioness or cubs and would have tried to stop it had he been there in time. That I firmly believe and also that it pained him so that he began to consume the lioness to keep the scavengers from her carcass which I have seen lionesses do after one of their cub dies.

From what I've seen, some male lions are more aggressive and will kill for hardly a reason while others would be more apt to just chase the offender away.  These PC boys IMO are like the former males lions and may kill even more sub adults in the future. I am not a fan of these types of male lions because they only have one way of dealing with things.
2 users Like 1ofCourage's post

Duco Ndona Online
Contributor

*This image is copyright of its original author

Its been confirmed that the Othawas  have five female cubs  currently. Which is great news for the aging pride.
5 users Like Duco Ndona's post

Canada Mdz123 Offline
Contributor

(12-01-2021, 11:37 AM)Duco Ndona Wrote:
*This image is copyright of its original author

Its been confirmed that the Othawas  have five female cubs  currently. Which is great news for the aging pride.

So the other 2 are male cubs?
2 users Like Mdz123's post

Duco Ndona Online
Contributor

Only one.
5 females and 1 male.
5 users Like Duco Ndona's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

That's are good news for the Othawa pride. With Auntie 'Othawa' and his sister, Both Othawa females are close of the 15 years old. These five new females will be the future of the Othawa pride and for Sassy as well. The rebuild of the Othawa pride is on the way... And sound promising so far.
5 users Like Timbavati's post

Canada Mdz123 Offline
Contributor

(12-01-2021, 08:01 PM)Duco Ndona Wrote: Only one.
5 females and 1 male.

It is indead really good for the old Othawa lionesses, luck is on their side considering their is a 50/50 chance for male and female cubs. I hope all of them can reach adulthood which boosts the pride to 8 adult lionesses and become potentially the biggest pride of the SS. The Tumbela males also have to do a great job in defending their territroy so that the lionesses could raise them. All hopes on them!
3 users Like Mdz123's post

Canada Mdz123 Offline
Contributor

(12-01-2021, 08:01 PM)Duco Ndona Wrote: Only one.
5 females and 1 male.

Thanks for clarification. I thougth the Othawas had 7 cubs. Also the picture doesnt load for me.

Duco Ndona Online
Contributor

Its just a screenshot of a comment made by Savanna Private Game Reserve. You aren't missing much.
4 users Like Duco Ndona's post

WildRev Offline

Kambula subadults catch and kill a male leopard

5 users Like WildRev's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Poor guy had no chance, way too many of them
4 users Like Tonpa's post

lionuk Offline
Contributor

The Fifth Mantimahle male was seen with one of his sons last week and the 2nd son was spotted a few days ago around Tshokwane picnic spot mating with a lioness. 
7 users Like lionuk's post

Canada Mdz123 Offline
Contributor

(12-02-2021, 11:19 PM)lionuk Wrote: The Fifth Mantimahle male was seen with one of his sons last week and the 2nd son was spotted a few days ago around Tshokwane picnic spot mating with a lioness. 

Probably one of the Torchwoods

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

They sure it was him? That's 32km from Little Gowrie & 20km from Rhino post safari lodge area
5 users Like Tonpa's post