There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Timbavati Online
Moderators

(11-28-2021, 09:58 PM)Mdz123 Wrote:
(11-28-2021, 08:42 PM)Timbavati Wrote:
(11-28-2021, 08:32 PM)Mdz123 Wrote:
(11-28-2021, 08:04 PM)Timbavati Wrote: A great sighting of the fifth Mantimahle and one of the S36/Mantimahle young males in Northern Sabi Sands
Photo credits: Andrew Aveley

*This image is copyright of its original author

Starting to worry about his other son. Was he seen with them.

All three were seen together not too long ago. The other young male could be around Rhino post in Kruger with their prides, Or even in Sabi Sands but he wasn't seen.

Is it known which prides they control? Im guessing a few lionesses from Torchwood pride. That pride has 10+ lionesses and not all are with Kruger males

To  be honest, I don't know which pride they're controlling around Rhino post area. Perhaps the Plains camp pride, or at least a part of it. Idk.
2 users Like Timbavati's post

Timbavati Online
Moderators

The Talamati sub-adults looking in fantastic shape. It's incredible how dark is the mane of the sub-adult male.
Photo credits: Chantellé Van Zyl

*This image is copyright of its original author
8 users Like Timbavati's post

Timbavati Online
Moderators

The fifth Mantimahle male with one of the S36/Mantimahle young males on Little Gowrie, Northern Sabi Sands.
With the physical appearance of these two males, they'll put the N.Avocas on a serious task if they want took-over any of the prides around. Considering the condition of Blondie in recent sightings and Mohawk showing some sings of TB. Interesting times ahead in the Sabi Sands. New blood could be incredible for the gene pool in the region. Especially, if comes from the Mantimahle males who are healthy and big males.
" target="_blank" class="post_link">
7 users Like Timbavati's post

United Kingdom Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Isn't the older male pushing 10+ years of age?
3 users Like Tonpa's post

Timbavati Online
Moderators

(11-29-2021, 01:14 AM)Tonpa Wrote: Isn't the older male pushing 10+ years of age?

Yes, the fifth Mantimahle was born most likely between early to mid 2011. He's still in prime condition for his age.
3 users Like Timbavati's post

United States sik94 Offline
Sikander Hayat

(11-29-2021, 01:17 AM)Timbavati Wrote:
(11-29-2021, 01:14 AM)Tonpa Wrote: Isn't the older male pushing 10+ years of age?

Yes, the fifth Mantimahle was born most likely between early to mid 2011. He's still in prime condition for his age.

Same age as Nhena? That seems so weird for some reason. 5th Mantimahle is a true veteran of kruger though, his experience will be very valuable if they decide to challenge.
4 users Like sik94's post

Canada Mdz123 Offline
Contributor

When and why did he seperate from his brothers?
2 users Like Mdz123's post

Timbavati Online
Moderators

(11-29-2021, 01:54 AM)sik94 Wrote:
(11-29-2021, 01:17 AM)Timbavati Wrote:

Same age as Nhena? That seems so weird for some reason. 5th Mantimahle is a true veteran of kruger though, his experience will be very valuable if they decide to challenge.

Yes, the fifth Mantimahle has the same age as the Birmingham males. All of the Mantimahle males were born between 2010 and 2011. The fifth seems to be one of the youngest. In fact, I think, only 1 of the 5 is the oldest of the 5. The condition and mane health of the fifth Mantimahle is really surprising. He looks like a fine wine from top class! Definitely, the experience will play an important role in a take-over. Only time will tell what they'll do.
5 users Like Timbavati's post

Contributor

Any mention of where they were today?
2 users Like Tonpa's post

United States sik94 Offline
Sikander Hayat

(11-29-2021, 01:55 AM)Mdz123 Wrote: When and why did he seperate from his brothers?

A bit how DM got separated from the N. Avocas, and at some point another coalition probably ended up pushing them apart, making it a permanent split.
4 users Like sik94's post

Contributor

What's the current number of cubs in the Kambula pride?
3 users Like Tonpa's post

Timbavati Online
Moderators

(11-29-2021, 05:25 AM)Tonpa Wrote: What's the current number of cubs in the Kambula pride?

Last time i heard of the Kambula cubs were 11 in total.
4 users Like Timbavati's post

DE_66 Offline

(11-20-2021, 09:40 AM)Salman B.A.M Wrote:
(11-18-2021, 01:07 AM)WildRev Wrote: Imbali male

He has belly like an indian Lion, how weird is that? Lol

Some African lions develop a belly flap as they get older.  The skin gets loose because their stomachs expand so much when they gorge themselves.  The "feast and famine" nature of their lives causes the flap to become more pronounced over time.
1 user Likes DE_66's post

DE_66 Offline

(11-21-2021, 07:28 PM)criollo2mil Wrote:
(11-21-2021, 03:16 PM)Slayerd Wrote: The problem for the Tsalala young female isn't her ability to survive on her own like the Sparta cub. Obviously the wild is unpredictable so all things are a danger but her skills should be good enough. She is 2 years and 10 months,nearly 3 years old. Certain lioness fall pregnant earlier like Sassy who had her first cubs at 3 years. The biggest problem is the other lions around her. She has no safety net. To the west is the Mangheni and Othawa, to the east is the Nkuhuma, to the south is the kambula breakaway and south east is the Kambula pride. She is also surrounded by males and can't use mating as a means to save herself. The only males she is safe with is her father but Nhenha is near the Kambula famales. She has to try and stay low and not bring attention to herself

To clarify for the records:  Tsalala Young Female  was born March 2019, making her 2.8 years old.  Also, Sassy mated at 3.4 years old and had her cubs when she was 3.8 years old. so this makes her almost a full year short of being within mating/estrus age.   Long, difficult path ahead
Can someone confirm?  I'm pretty sure Sassy was born in late 2015 (I thought December, but I could be wrong).  I remember her first litter of cubs appearing towards the end of 2018.
I also thought the Tsalala Princess was born in late 2018, but my memory is a lot more fuzzy with regards to her.
2 users Like DE_66's post

Timbavati Online
Moderators

(11-29-2021, 08:11 AM)DE_66 Wrote:
(11-21-2021, 07:28 PM)criollo2mil Wrote:
(11-21-2021, 03:16 PM)Slayerd Wrote: The problem for the Tsalala young female isn't her ability to survive on her own like the Sparta cub. Obviously the wild is unpredictable so all things are a danger but her skills should be good enough. She is 2 years and 10 months,nearly 3 years old. Certain lioness fall pregnant earlier like Sassy who had her first cubs at 3 years. The biggest problem is the other lions around her. She has no safety net. To the west is the Mangheni and Othawa, to the east is the Nkuhuma, to the south is the kambula breakaway and south east is the Kambula pride. She is also surrounded by males and can't use mating as a means to save herself. The only males she is safe with is her father but Nhenha is near the Kambula famales. She has to try and stay low and not bring attention to herself

To clarify for the records:  Tsalala Young Female  was born March 2019, making her 2.8 years old.  Also, Sassy mated at 3.4 years old and had her cubs when she was 3.8 years old. so this makes her almost a full year short of being within mating/estrus age.   Long, difficult path ahead
Can someone confirm?  I'm pretty sure Sassy was born in late 2015 (I thought December, but I could be wrong).  I remember her first litter of cubs appearing towards the end of 2018.
I also thought the Tsalala Princess was born in late 2018, but my memory is a lot more fuzzy with regards to her.

Sassy was born between January to February 2015. 

Othawa Pride pride status May 2015
Total = 6
3 females (born 2007 daughters of the Mapogos)
3 cubs born approx mid - late January 2015 to lioness #2
2 males & one female
The cubs fathered by Majingilanes
First viewing on drive March 17
2 users Like Timbavati's post