There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Hey amigos, MalaMala May and June reports are finally out

http://malamala.com/game-reports
5 users Like Tonpa's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 07-28-2021, 12:57 PM by Tonpa )

The Torchwood cubs finally showed up, looks like 4 large cubs? 
MalaMala reported 9 cubs in May 

(sorry facebook link)

https://www.facebook.com/TendaiMoyoField...9607414287
5 users Like Tonpa's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

What a good find! The lost ghosts - The Othawa sub-adults members were seen yesterday at Elephant point in KNP
Five lions - two young males and three females. 
Elephant Point is right near Paul Kruger Gate and overlooks the S3.
Photo credits: Latest Sightings - Kruger

*This image is copyright of its original author

*This image is copyright of its original author
8 users Like T I N O's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

That's unfortunate
2 users Like Tonpa's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(07-28-2021, 07:03 PM)Timbavati Wrote: What a good find! The lost ghosts - The Othawa sub-adults members were seen yesterday at Elephant point in KNP
Five lions - two young males and three females. 
Elephant Point is right near Paul Kruger Gate and overlooks the S3.

2 young males and 3 females? What?
4 users Like Tr1x24's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(07-28-2021, 07:50 PM)1999gc8 Wrote: I saw this photo on the Kruger tweet but there was no reference to them being the othawa sub adults. We havent heard about them for ages but there was never five of them. Who are two other females and what happened to the 3rd male?

I guess they might mistaken 1 young male for a female because lack of mane, but even then theres 1 more unknown female.
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Duco Ndona Online
Contributor

Are we sure its them? The numbers are way off and the post never mentions them being them. Just a unnamed pride of lions.
2 users Like Duco Ndona's post

Hairy tummy Offline

They look really healthy on that picture, great to see
2 users Like Hairy tummy's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(07-28-2021, 08:15 PM)Duco Ndona Wrote: Are we sure its them? The numbers are way off and the post never mentions them being them. Just a unnamed pride of lions.

Thats definitely Junior on that photo..

And they where not seen in Sabi Sands for quite some time now, last time was in Singita, what, 3 weeks ago or something.
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Duco Ndona Online
Contributor

In that case I wonder what happened for this to be possible.
Not only are they short one male. I cant imagine Gingerella being accepted near another pride. So that could mean they lost two members in just a few weeks. 

Though I agree its also possible one of the lionesses is the missing male in a bad condition. Perhaps the other lioness is just a nomadic one they ran into.
2 users Like Duco Ndona's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 07-29-2021, 02:06 AM by Tonpa )

Saw this pop up in my youtube recommended, guess it was a Torchwood cub? 
(2019)

3 users Like Tonpa's post

Gijima Offline

Yes that’s a Torchwood cub. Old sighting right?

Also it was the Othawa subs. They edited that post to 3 males and 1 female.
8 users Like Gijima's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

8 users Like BA0701's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(07-28-2021, 08:19 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(07-28-2021, 08:15 PM)Duco Ndona Wrote: Are we sure its them? The numbers are way off and the post never mentions them being them. Just a unnamed pride of lions.

Thats definitely Junior on that photo..

And they where not seen in Sabi Sands for quite some time now, last time was in Singita, what, 3 weeks ago or something.

Elephant point guys confirmed that were in fact three males and 1 female
6 users Like T I N O's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(07-29-2021, 06:43 AM)Timbavati Wrote: Elephant point guys confirmed that were in fact three males and 1 female

Yea, im affraid we gona lose Othawas in Kruger, Gingerella too it seems, shame, i taught they would stick in Sabi Sands for a a while (especially as i think they dont have that much pressure in Western sector and Singita) and maybe try to settle there like Styx and NK, but yea, as we said, there wont be room for all young males in Sabi Sands out of those new generations (Othawas, Kambulas and Talamatis) and some of them will move into Kruger.. 

Its interesting how lions are different from one and other, either as individuals or gruops, when they become nomadic, some stay very close to their natal area (Styx and NK recently for example) while others move vast distances in span of months..
5 users Like Tr1x24's post