There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Netherlands Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

I think the Mhangeni will be pretty safe. They are mostly spending their time far in the west now. 
If the Avocas lose they will just go back home to lick their wounds to try again later. If the BBoys lose, they probably wont be in a good enough shape to try to take over.
3 users Like Duco Ndona's post

United States sundarbans Offline

(07-26-2021, 08:09 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(07-26-2021, 07:45 PM)Duco Ndona Wrote: Thanks.

They apparently are down to one cub though since around the incident

1 cub and 1 older cub*

I believe they had 7 at the time of the Othawa Male's death. How did they lose so many in such a short time?
2 users Like sundarbans's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

I've seen people mention it but can't find the source but apparently a lodge said their behavior was more like a nomadic pride, in that they move around so much, could just be that cubs are getting left behind as they can't keep up with the lionessess.

A lot of Hyenas in the western sector too, on the Virgin livestream a few weeks ago I asked about the Hyena clans in the area and the guide recalled the killing of the Othawa lioness in 2016 and mentioned they counted no fewer than 28 Hyenas feeding on her.

They could be getting picked off by the Nwalungu males too.
3 users Like Tonpa's post

Netherlands Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

Moving around is normal for prides. So it likely isnt that.
Its not like they are popping up all over the reserve like real nomadig groups do.

They lost a lot of cubs to the Nwas earlier this year.
The others likely to hyenas or the various other lions in the region. 

It just doesnt seem to be a good spot for a pride.
1 user Likes Duco Ndona's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

PC boys? in MalaMala

https://www.instagram.com/stories/katejo...872258854/
5 users Like Tonpa's post

Tr1x24 Online
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 07-27-2021, 06:06 PM by Tr1x24 )

(07-27-2021, 05:39 PM)Tonpa Wrote: PC boys? in MalaMala

Yes indeed, they dont look like they have been in any fight tbh :

*This image is copyright of its original author

Also Nhenha was seen, patroling alone again:

Im a bit concerned about Tinyo tbh, only 1 Bboy was also seen on 23th, nothing from Tinyo since 18th..
9 users Like Tr1x24's post

Slayerd Offline

(07-27-2021, 05:54 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(07-27-2021, 05:39 PM)Tonpa Wrote: PC boys? in MalaMala

Yes indeed, they dont look like they have been in any fight tbh :

Also Nhenha was seen, patroling alone again:

Im a bit concerned about Tinyo tbh, only 1 Bboy was also seen on 23th, nothing from Tinyo since 18th..
Where is this Nhenha clip from?
2 users Like Slayerd's post

Tr1x24 Online
Top Contributor

(07-28-2021, 12:56 AM)Slayerd Wrote: Where is this Nhenha clip from?

MalaMala, dont know exact location.
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Talamatis on WE today, 12 members counted. The lioness with the cubs was back with the pride. No sign of the cubs although it did look like she's still suckling 

5 users Like Tonpa's post

Tr1x24 Online
Top Contributor

(07-28-2021, 01:52 AM)Tonpa Wrote: Talamatis on WE today, 12 members counted. The lioness with the cubs was back with the pride. No sign of the cubs although it did look like she's still suckling 

So 2 are missing indeed or what?

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

(07-28-2021, 02:17 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(07-28-2021, 01:52 AM)Tonpa Wrote: Talamatis on WE today, 12 members counted. The lioness with the cubs was back with the pride. No sign of the cubs although it did look like she's still suckling 

It seems so yeah but not sure who

The boys are all here, and Gijima said he counted 5 sub-adult lionesses, so maybe 1 adult lioness 1 sub-adult female
4 users Like Tonpa's post

Slayerd Offline

(07-28-2021, 01:08 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:

(07-28-2021, 02:17 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:

Lol no I was asking where is the video from, as in who posted it
1 user Likes Slayerd's post

Tr1x24 Online
Top Contributor

(07-28-2021, 02:49 AM)Slayerd Wrote: Lol no I was asking where is the video from, as in who posted it

From story on instagram profile in the post before my.

1999gc8 Offline
( This post was last modified: 07-28-2021, 03:13 AM by 1999gc8 )

(07-28-2021, 01:08 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:

I asked Ranger Rob about that clip and he said it was the Gowrie male with the scars so I'm assuming he meant it was Tinyo unless he confused them. Personally I thought it was Nhena because there was no limp.
1 user Likes 1999gc8's post

Tr1x24 Online
Top Contributor

(07-28-2021, 03:12 AM)1999gc8 Wrote: I asked Ranger Rob about that clip and he said it was the Gowrie male with the scars so I'm assuming he meant it was Tinyo unless he confused them. Personally I thought it was Nhena because there was no limp.

Its Nhenha.