There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(07-14-2021, 03:46 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Dont know what future holds, but until both gruops are dominant i dont see them reunite anytime soon, althrough death of Mohawk or Blondie might force the left male to reunite with DM, probably only scenario for the reunion sadly..
There is also a scenario in which Blondie and Mohawk manage to push out Birminghams and takeover Kambula pride and then possibly DM would move south as well to mate with Kambulas. It wasn't long ago when DM moved further south to mate with 3 younger Nkuchuma lionesses and the Mohawk and Blondie did not treat him as and enemy and did not chasse him out so it definitelly can go same way in case there will be mating rights in Kambula pride.
3 users Like Potato's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 07-14-2021, 06:35 PM by Tr1x24 )

(07-14-2021, 06:24 PM)Potato Wrote: There is also a scenario in which Blondie and Mohawk manage to push out Birminghams and takeover Kambula pride and then possibly DM would move south as well to mate with Kambulas. It wasn't long ago when DM moved further south to mate with 3 younger Nkuchuma lionesses and the Mohawk and Blondie did not treat him as and enemy and did not chasse him out so it definitelly can go same way in case there will be mating rights in Kambula pride.

How do you mean they didn't chase him out? Yes DM was seen mating with younger Nkuhumas, but only until Mohawk didn't found him out, after that encounter with Mohawk, DM was seen next day moving back north and didn't return.. Mohawk definitely didn't allow him to mate with his girls, DM did that without his knowledge..

I definitely dont see scenario where Mohawk and Blondie allow him to come and mate with their new pride all of a sudden..
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Netherlands Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

I think he meant the Nkuhumas
1 user Likes Duco Ndona's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(07-14-2021, 06:34 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: How do you mean they didn't chase him out? Yes DM was seen mating with younger Nkuhumas, but only until Mohawk didn't found him out, after that encounter with Mohawk, DM was seen next day moving back north and didn't return.. Mohawk definitely didn't allow him to mate with his girls, DM did that without his knowledge..
Mohawk only aserted his dominance, DM allowed him to do that and then both sit next to each others. People put too much story around that sighting while in fact not much really happened. Also another think is that Blondie did not join Mohawk in this "bullying" DM which shows that he is fine with DM's presence and Mohawk on his own rather wouldn't be able to do too much vs DM just by himself.
6 users Like Potato's post

Salman B.A.M Offline

New here.. Is there any forum to monitor the othawa sub adults? Son of Majings and Sons of Matimbas? Where can I get latest info on them regularly? any idea?
1 user Likes Salman B.A.M's post

Netherlands Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

He didn't come to his support either.

Did they have anything to fight for at that time? I think once there are some lionesses or food in play things would play out a lot more hostile.
1 user Likes Duco Ndona's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(07-14-2021, 09:18 PM)Salman B.A.M Wrote: New here.. Is there any forum to monitor the othawa sub adults? Son of Majings and Sons of Matimbas? Where can I get latest info on them regularly? any idea?

Hello @Salman B.A.M welcome to WildFact. We have a ton of posts made, speaking regularly about the Othawas, primarily in the Lions of Sabi Sands thread. Our search function works really well, also.

Enjoy your stay, I think you'll find some very knowledgeable folks on this site, always will to lend a hand. We look forward to your contributions!
5 users Like BA0701's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(07-14-2021, 09:18 PM)Salman B.A.M Wrote: New here.. Is there any forum to monitor the othawa sub adults? Son of Majings and Sons of Matimbas? Where can I get latest info on them regularly? any idea?

In this topic (lions of sabi sands) there are posted all updates on those males. If you want more dirrect link then Singita Sabi Sands (https://singita.com/wildlife) and Savanna (https://savannalodge.com/wildlife-blog/) monthly raports are way to go at least for now as with nomads there is no way to predict where and when will they be moving or if they will stay around.
5 users Like Potato's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Bboys with Kambula subadults :

4 users Like Tr1x24's post

lionuk Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 07-15-2021, 08:02 PM by lionuk )

Does anyone know what had became of that Tsalala female cub, sister of Shaka jr, did she make it to adulthood?
And did the Majingilane males have cubs with the Tsalala Pride between 2011-2013?
1 user Likes lionuk's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(07-15-2021, 07:19 PM)lionuk Wrote: Does anyone know what had became of that Tsalala female cub, sister of Shaka jr, did she make it to adulthood?
When the Majingilanes tookover there were 8 sub adults in the pride from which 4 survived, all females and later on formed Tsalala breakaway pride, better known as the Mhangeni pride. 

(07-15-2021, 07:19 PM)lionuk Wrote: And did the Majingilane males have cubs with the Tsalala Pride between 2011-2013?
They did have, but they did themselfs killed them all.
2 users Like Potato's post

lionuk Offline
Contributor

(07-15-2021, 08:57 PM)Potato Wrote:
(07-15-2021, 07:19 PM)lionuk Wrote: Does anyone know what had became of that Tsalala female cub, sister of Shaka jr, did she make it to adulthood?
When the Majingilanes tookover there were 8 sub adults in the pride from which 4 survived, all females and later on formed Tsalala breakaway pride, better known as the Mhangeni pride. 

(07-15-2021, 07:19 PM)lionuk Wrote: And did the Majingilane males have cubs with the Tsalala Pride between 2011-2013?

Why would they kill their own cubs that were born between 2011-2013 when they were known to be good and affectionate fathers? 
When one of the Tsalala females gave birth to 4 cubs in 2013, the males didn't kill them, you know. I saw a video of Dark Mane with them, he was affectionate with them.
1 user Likes lionuk's post

United States Peteporker Offline

(07-15-2021, 09:46 PM)lionuk Wrote:
(07-15-2021, 08:57 PM)Potato Wrote:

Why would they kill their own cubs that were born between 2011-2013 when they were known to be good and affectionate fathers? 
When one of the Tsalala females gave birth to 4 cubs in 2013, the males didn't kill them, you know. I saw a video of Dark Mane with them, he was affectionate with them.

I remember reading about that (I think it was in one of the Londolozi blogs). I think what happened was that it was probably during a period where their was probably some overlap of mating between two coalitions and the Majingilane's probably were probably not sure it's their own offspring. Also, I think another contributing factor was that the Tsalala females were always skittish of the Majingilanes and would always run every time they approach. Being lions, their natural instinct was probably to chase and kill.
2 users Like Peteporker's post

United Kingdom Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Heres the article https://blog.londolozi.com/2011/12/29/ts...ale-lions/
3 users Like Tonpa's post

United Kingdom Tonpa Offline
Contributor

"These 3 Nkuhuma mother lionesses and 1 Avoca male became protective and territorial as the cubs came out to play. All the other pride members, male and female, were chased away from the area."

5 users Like Tonpa's post