There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Gavskrr Offline
magVarseVE

in fact until I entered the forum and read about it, my thinking based on what was reported in the videos and the documentary was that the Mapogos had wiped out all the dominant males and occupied practically every sabi sands reserve, I see a lot of stories about them end up being inflated and other hidden, unfortunately this ends up happening in everything that can exist fanaticism, but this forum is a good source to know the truth and value every lion that has been known in the KNP
4 users Like Gavskrr's post

RookiePundit Offline

(07-17-2021, 04:59 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(07-17-2021, 03:48 AM)Tonpa Wrote: Was doing some reading on Nhlanguleni, apparently he survived the mapogo takeover of the Othawa pride and was last seen in Orpen, KNP in 2007. 

*This image is copyright of its original author

(Also I gotta appreciate Robs patience when dealing with these guys)

Unfortunately this is the sad thing about Mapogos, they where great coalition, but some of their achivements are hardly exaggerated by Mapogo fanboys. 

I know that Nhlanguleni was not killed in 1vs1 (another Mapogo fanboys claim) because he was seen after that fight with only few scars on his face, but then he disappeared from Sabi Sands and i also taught that he was finished by other Mapogos, but it looks like he did managed to survive. He was beautiful specimen of a male lion.. 

Truth needs to be known about these lions, no some fairly tails that they killed 100 lions in a year or that mr T was darted etc. just to make them more special, they where special without that..and thats also not fair towards other lions, people to this day think that Mapogos beat Gijima males, when in fact 2 Gijima males push Mapogos from northen Sabi Sands and made their territory there since later stages 2009.

At the same time it works really well to give you an idea what kind of person you have in front of you and you should not bother to engage.
3 users Like RookiePundit's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Question, is the sand river pride today the same sand river pride from the western sector pre-2010? I've been reading old blog posts and they mention the prides demise in 2009

https://www.leopardhills.com/blog/safari...-everyone/
1 user Likes Tonpa's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(07-17-2021, 01:01 PM)Tonpa Wrote: Question, is the sand river pride today the same sand river pride from the western sector pre-2010? I've been reading old blog posts and they mention the prides demise in 2009

https://www.leopardhills.com/blog/safari...-everyone/

It is different pride as far as I know.
2 users Like Potato's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Damn, that's sad.

Thank you
1 user Likes Tonpa's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

4 users Like Tonpa's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Two styx females and their seven cubs doing a walk-by 
by @shaye_best

5 users Like Tonpa's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

the more eagle-eyed members will know who these are. Two males on a kill in Singita 

4 users Like Tonpa's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(07-18-2021, 01:56 PM)Tonpa Wrote: Two styx females and their seven cubs doing a walk-by 
by @shaye_best

Where is the 3rd female, denning?
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

(07-18-2021, 02:02 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(07-18-2021, 01:56 PM)Tonpa Wrote: Two styx females and their seven cubs doing a walk-by 
by @shaye_best

Where is the 3rd female, denning?

I hope so

From another photo 

2 users Like Tonpa's post

lionuk Offline
Contributor

RE: Two males on a kill in Singita. It's possible these males are Nkuhuma male and Styx male. A guide told me two days' ago that the Plains Camp males were seen in Ronson's property. 
2 users Like lionuk's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Robson property? That's northern Singita I believe
2 users Like Tonpa's post

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

If so, those two groups have been on the same position for weeks now.
2 users Like Duco Ndona's post

lionuk Offline
Contributor

I'm not exactly sure where it is. The guide gave me this "Ronson property" maybe when he meant "Robson property". Either way, do you know how far it is from the western sector?
2 users Like lionuk's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

It borders the western sector, against Dulini (exeter) 

Its the part called Othawa

3 users Like Tonpa's post