There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

United States sik94 Offline
Sikander Hayat

I just looked it up, It definitely is an occurrence of a lionesses killing a lion. But as I assumed in my previous reply "Captive lions aren't a true reflection of how wild lions behave", Craig Packer seems to have a similar stance as well. "In an interview with BBC News’ Ritu Prasad, [Craig] Packer explains that the pair’s personalities likely played a major role in the attack. Although males tend to dominate females in the wild, zoo enclosures encourage a different power dynamic. As a hand-reared lion, Nyack may have been more vulnerable than most males. Comparatively, Zuri was more domineering than the average female."

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 06-14-2021, 02:44 AM by Duco Ndona )

Well Its still a lioness killing a male lion so there is no natural law stopping them from doing so in the right circumstances... 
But lets not get side-tracked here. The argument is not that the lioness gave the final blow. Its whether they could have helped or not if present. How minor it may be. It may have saved the boys some scars.

If we are suddenly calling for evidence. We may as well end the debate as there just isn't any for any of the theories.
All I am saying is that we should keep an open mind and not just discard theories just because they don't follow our ideas on how lions behave most of the time.
After all. Othawa male himself shouldn't exist if we go by the normal assumptions of how a lion should live as absolute.

I dont really believe the lionesses were involved aswell. But thats becouse Londolozi gave an actual argument to explain the misconfusion.

Slayerd Offline
( This post was last modified: 06-14-2021, 02:53 AM by Slayerd )

(06-14-2021, 02:35 AM)Duco Ndona Wrote: Well Its still a lioness killing a male lion so there is no natural law stopping them from doing so in the right circumstances... 
But lets not get side-tracked here. The argument is not that the lioness gave the final blow. Its whether they could have helped or not if present. How minor it may be. It may have saved the boys some scars.

If we are suddenly calling for evidence. We may as well end the debate as there just isn't any for any of the theories.
All I am saying is that we should keep an open mind and not just discard theories just because they don't follow our ideas on how lions behave most of the time.
After all. Othawa male himself shouldn't exist if we go by the normal assumptions of how a lion should live as absolute.

What you're saying is ignorant. You're saying that just because something hasn't been seen doesn't discount it but it's because it hasn't been seen that it's discountable. It's like saying dragons are real and people can't discount it because they haven't seen it but it's because we have never seen dragons that they're not real to us. Lionesses have never in the wild killed male lions or helped their males kill male lions and I don't believe that now all of a sudden, because only theories are available that we should believe in something that has never happened.

Gavskrr Offline
( This post was last modified: 06-14-2021, 03:24 AM by Gavskrr )

I may have been misinterpreted in the previous post, I didn't want to propose the idea that the BBoys alone could not simply immobilize and kill OM, but that, according to the theory posted by londolozi, there is a possibility that OM has chased the young Ntsevu and ended up bumping into the kambula clan with bboys, it could be said that lionesses are not able to kill an adult male lion, but they can interfere if a male attacks a young clan member, that doesn't mean they killed OM, but they may have helped and again , making it clear, I agree that the most likely hypothesis would be a 2v1 in which the bboys would eliminate the OM.

Anyway, we'll never know what really happened, until recently we only knew of OM's roar towards the bboys and the idea that he decided to challenge them, that his self-confidence and lack of experience may have killed him and now according to londolozi, he could be chasing a young Ntsevu, although it was too risky to enter the heart of the Birmingham Territory would be far less crazy than facing adult males.

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

Have you seen 100% of every lion fight in the world?
Is there a natural law that bans lionesses from fighting along with male lions? Do they randomly explode if they think about it? Is there somekind of genetic illness that makes them faint if they get within 3 meters of two fighting males? 

If not. Then each case should be concidered the potential first documented case of what may just be a rare event.. 

If there are any actual arguments about why its actually impossible. Thats one thing. We now know the truth about dragons becouse we bothered to investigate them. And classified those that did exist into real animals like the crocodile or the boa constrictor. 

But I just wont take, I have never seen it before, therefor we shouldnt even concider it, as an answer. If we did that. We never would still believe the world was flat and there is nothing beyond the Atlantic ocean beyond a long detour to India.

If we ever want to understand those animals. We need to keep our mind open. Afteral, they surprise us all the time. They really arent just carbon copies of eachother.

United Kingdom Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Hey, is anybody interested in a lion Wikia? With profiles for all the lions?
2 users Like Tonpa's post

Sikander Hayat
( This post was last modified: 06-14-2021, 05:37 AM by sik94 )

(06-14-2021, 04:26 AM)Tonpa Wrote: Hey, is anybody interested in a lion Wikia? With profiles for all the lions?

*This image is copyright of its original author

I have been working on a website where you can read about profiles of coalitions and prides, something like that ^. I could add more stuff like more info about each individual instead of just names, more info about the coalitions themselves, and more stats about the coalition/pride. I'm thinking of having a section that's a bit like a directory of animals where you can search through a database and find info about each individual lion, with info like ages, names, identification features, or other individual specific info. I need some feedback from you guys.
9 users Like sik94's post

Contributor

Interesting! Post the link when it's ready!

Sikander Hayat

(06-14-2021, 05:37 AM)Tonpa Wrote: Interesting! Post the link when it's ready!

I will soon.
1 user Likes sik94's post

Hairy tummy Offline

Excellent, family tree's would be great to see. 
Great work
1 user Likes Hairy tummy's post

lionuk Offline
Contributor

Two Othawa females seen. Still no sign of older lioness's cubs..

5 users Like lionuk's post

Sweden Mangw Offline

hi i'm new here and i have a question and it is which prides do southern avocas control and do they have sired some young males?
1 user Likes Mangw's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(06-14-2021, 06:06 PM)Mangw Wrote: hi i'm new here and i have a question and it is which prides do southern avocas control and do they have sired some young males?

They control Sand River pride, and in the past they where seen with Plains Camp in Kruger, but its not known if they still control them..

Their offspring is still very young.
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Contributor

Pretty good night for the Talamatis, they chased a herd of buffalo from Djuma into Arathusa. However they soon gave up and killed an adult Giraffe.

Sadly it's not close to the border so WildEarth couldn't visit
5 users Like Tonpa's post

Contributor

Mr T Tracker headed over to the kill 

6 users Like Tonpa's post