There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 7 Vote(s) - 4.43 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

lionuk Offline
Contributor

(05-17-2021, 11:17 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(05-17-2021, 11:14 PM)lionuk Wrote: From what I know is that Styx pride is made of 4 lionesses...
I'm sure Mapogo took over Styx pride at one point, surely there was a Styx female or females sired by the Mapogo males?

Its 3 lionesses left.

No, all Mapogo offspring in Styx was killed in Majingilane takeover..

But, according to MalaMala monthly report there are 4 lionesses..
I know one, the youngest, died last year..
1 user Likes lionuk's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(05-17-2021, 11:19 PM)lionuk Wrote: But, according to MalaMala monthly report there are 4 lionesses..
I know one, the youngest, died last year.

Yea, they prob didn't update that..
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Yeah, Styx pride is no longer seen on Mala Mala so do not rely on their reports regarding updates on Styx pride.
1 user Likes Potato's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

From the Virgin instagram 

*This image is copyright of its original author
3 users Like Tonpa's post

lionuk Offline
Contributor

(05-18-2021, 05:47 PM)Tonpa Wrote: From the Virgin instagram 

Plains Camp Males?
2 users Like lionuk's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Yup! interesting they completely bypassed Singita lol
1 user Likes Tonpa's post

lionuk Offline
Contributor

@Tonpa Hopefully we will find where Nukhuma male and Styx Male are currently at. I mean, are they anywhere near the Mhangeni Pride?
1 user Likes lionuk's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

The PC boys!
4 users Like Timbavati's post

India Raj8143 Offline
MR. T

sired by ?
1 user Likes Raj8143's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

(05-18-2021, 11:31 PM)Raj8143 Wrote:

sired by ?

The mantimahle coalition I believe
2 users Like Tonpa's post

RookiePundit Offline

Yup, Mantimahles. I hope they stick around somewhere eventually, as that bloodline is not represented in Sabi Sands yet (afaik). And if they turn out like their fathers did, that would two more impresive looking lions and hopefully some good genes for the future generations (besides wider gene pool which is more important thing in the long run).
4 users Like RookiePundit's post

lionuk Offline
Contributor

(05-18-2021, 11:42 PM)RookiePundit Wrote: Yup, Mantimahles. I hope they stick around somewhere eventually, as that bloodline is not represented in Sabi Sands yet (afaik). And if they turn out like their fathers did, that would two more impresive looking lions and hopefully some good genes for the future generations (besides wider gene pool which is more important thing in the long run).

Talamati Pride could be a good option for Plains Camp males as they currently don't have small cubs. Besides Plain Camps had been seen around the area/near where Talamati Pride was at not long ago.
4 users Like lionuk's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Out of curiosity, which lions in sabi potentially hold the white lion gene?
1 user Likes Tonpa's post

lionuk Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 05-19-2021, 01:25 AM by lionuk )

New Othawa cubs, Sassy's cubs. They are around 8-10 weeks old. 18th May 2021.

Photo credit: G. Mitchley

5 users Like lionuk's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(05-19-2021, 01:12 AM)Tonpa Wrote: Out of curiosity, which lions in sabi potentially hold the white lion gene?

Since it is present in Birmingham pride then all MAtimba and Birmingham males off spring. Also Avoca males as their fathers came from pride carrying white gene and also were sired by old Ross/Giraffe males who as well carried that gene.
3 users Like Potato's post