There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(05-10-2021, 08:44 AM)Timbavati Wrote: Photo credits goes to: Nadia de Lange Photography

*This image is copyright of its original author

This is the last photo of OM Thursday night, we can see how alert he was.. And as from report, moved fowards towards the roar of Birmingham male..

I think what might happened is that he heard only 1 roar from Birmingham male, and he was confident to take him out 1 vs 1..but 2nd male was also there or near by..
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

1999gc8 Offline

(05-09-2021, 09:19 PM)Duco Ndona Wrote: There are some photos circulating of his remains.
I havent seen them yet. But from what I gather from various discriptions. Most of the body is gone but the face seems to be intact. 

I hate to say it, but it kinda reminds me of what happened to Kinky tail.

I saw the photo and although the picture of the face is mostly intact there is no hair at all on the neck or face and lower jaw appeared to be gone. Would the head and what's left of the neck  be completely bald in a few days or would it take a week or longer? So little left of the carcus I'm suprised anything could be identified except knowing theres male lion head with missing jaw. Honestly with his head so big it seems much smaller in the photo around the jaw area in length and the front part of the skull unless it was just the angle.
1 user Likes 1999gc8's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Did we have any info on Tinyo? Saw this comment from one of the londolozi staff on the malamala video 

2 users Like Tonpa's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 05-10-2021, 05:05 PM by Tr1x24 )

(05-10-2021, 04:20 PM)Tonpa Wrote: Did we have any info on Tinyo? Saw this comment from one of the londolozi staff on the malamala video

James Tyrrell said Tinyo was seen at Londolozi after and looked fine and that Nhenha was not seen, he was in MalaMala..
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(05-10-2021, 04:15 PM)1999gc8 Wrote: I saw the photo and although the picture of the face is mostly intact there is no hair at all on the neck or face and lower jaw appeared to be gone. Would the head and what's left of the neck  be completely bald in a few days or would it take a week or longer? So little left of the carcus I'm suprised anything could be identified except knowing theres male lion head with missing jaw. Honestly with his head so big it seems much smaller in the photo around the jaw area in length and the front part of the skull unless it was just the angle.

You would be suprise what scavangers do to carcass in few hours or 1 day, theres examples where full giraffe or elephant carcass after 1 day was eaten completely, only bones left.. So lion is nothing to them..
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

lionuk Offline
Contributor

Beautiful Young Torchwood Male feeding on a kill he stole from a young leopard called Shasha.

Photo credits: Africa Journey Nature Experience 

7 users Like lionuk's post

RookiePundit Offline

I just caught up with the news and this thread. We all suspected Othawa won't have a long reign over Mhangenis, but nobody would have guessed it would end so soon and abruptly. But it really seems it was done by his own doing. He played with fire venturing towards Birmingham territory and female(s) in Londolozi if he crossed even to Mala Mala... It is ironic that most likely the female he ventured in for is the infertile Kambula, so that endeavour would be fruitless anyway.

I can't help but smirk at Londolozi with their ongoing narrative of Birminghams being old and week and lion warfare is imminent and coming soon. Well, they got their warfare just not the way they wanted as they just lost the most photogenic individual frequenting their area.

Mhangeni pride seems cursed. Their cub raising record post Kabula ntsevu (ie six) won't get any better anytime soon, they were capable of losing cubs without males being involved and now the current cubs are doomed. I am sorry for the cubs, but the change in dynamic Othawa loss would cause (and we can't rule out it triggering more, depending how numerous coalition moves in and possibly shift their territory as Mhangeni females are not too few) might be for the better. It was always when rather than if Othawa's rule would end giving his cubs possibly too short window to make it and another thing is Othawa was too related to the lionesses through Mapogo and Majingilane bloodlines, whoever replaces him should be an improvement genetic wise.

Who could move in? Considering the number of cubs in the pride, the lionesses might fierce defend them (or split) which would make it a tougher takeover for young nomadic males chancing on the opportunity. Of those Plain Camp males might be currently closest to the area, it might be to early for them despite being of promising size, which is bit of a shame as they come from outside of Sabi Sands and Mantimahles' bloodline is unrelated to those ubiquitous there. Styx and Nkuhuma would be another suspects although they might be more south now, they have a sister in the pride (I am not completely sure how related they are trough their mothers) but it would be an improvement genetic diversity wise. Othawa youngsters are content sitting where they are I would say, Torchwood Youg Male is too far so far. I would rather see some of those nomads joining together than becoming dominant now with low numbers, especially the young Trochwood male.

But already dominant coaliton can move in.

Ndzhengas were already there, added to loss of two (iirc) cubs in some manner and should be ready and able to force their way in next time they travel north. They are finishing this round of producing cubs with Styx pride and the Souther female and might look elsehwere. The downside is they might neglect or out right abandon the aforementioned four lionesses and their cubs, we don't how they operate yet; Mhangeni pride alone has more females than those two prides. Let's hope that would not happen we already technically lost one pride in the south this year, that area could use bigger lion numbers. The upside is ofc NW's being unrelated to anyone afaik and would bring fresh blood to interwined Sabi Sand population, especiallly fittign in case of Mhangeni pride that consisted of females of different ages sired by some major coalitions of central Sabi Sands, pretty much all recent really in having Mapogo, Majingilanes and Brimingham daughters. The other great thing would be the colaition of this size should provide stability and time for Mahangenis getting their thing together and actually start reliably rasing cubs. Although if that would mean NW's shifting their territory more to the north, they might bacome dangerous for other coalitions around them later, namely Tumbelas and Northern Avocas, hard to tell what can happen with lions.

Tumbelas might realize nobody is roaring to their east or rather being done with producing Othawa pride cubs they might look for more. Although if the third female would not be able to conceive and/or Sassy's daughter comes back and goes into oestrus in appropriate time manner, they might still be preoccupied with females there. They still seems to be licking their old wounds, althought it seems their condition is getting better. I still think and hope they will stay put and help to rebuild the Othawa pride and won't boxed in and eventually invided by stronger coalition. Hoping for Thand Impi sons having some peaceful time for a change.

Avocas -  I would not rule out them realizing there is no roaring from Singita/Londolozi and investigate. Mohawk is eager to lately and I could see him mating with cubs free females while the rest is hiding instead of takover attempt with territor shift. Blondie in tow possibly. That might divert their focus from Mala Mala and Kambulas to some extent even. Long shot but I could even see Dark Mane stumbling onto the situation dodging Talamatis and futily looking for Nkuhumas toawrds the west, but I don't know what would make him walk so far west (thus Manghenis might moved a bit dodging other males).

Birminghams  - obviously they know Othawa is gone better than anyone else, but I can't see them spreading too thin and go for even more area and getting back to Mhangenis. I could see them going that way if they would get pushed out, which doesn't seem that likely short term, but things can change overnight in unexpected way in lion dynamics so who knows, accidents and diseases happen all the time.

It might also be some males outside of Sabi Sands, wandering through, nobody expected Tumbelas after all and Plain Camps are new to northern Sabi Sands. But most likely we wouldn't know them in advance coming from the Kruger itself, the closest coalition that might be on the move that comes to mind would be Tintswalos in central Manyeleti. Besides S8/Imbali male who I don't even try to guess what he will be up to in near future.

After all, it is shame we lost such a specimen, from photographic point especially it gonna take some time to have a male of that looks, lack of scar and rough look. And crazy long mane. Before Othawa, Nhenha was often considered the most handsome male in Sabi Sands. Interesting twist of fate that the latter was involved in the fall of the former. Nhenha is looking good strenght and condition wise but he already looks rough as well, I guess we have to wait if his likely son, Torchwood  Young Male arises to something one day. Till then we gonna have awesome lions in Sabi Sands in more brutish, powerful way.
5 users Like RookiePundit's post

Netherlands Duco Ndona Online
Contributor

Londolozi blogged over his behavoir shortly before his demise.

https://blog.londolozi.com/2021/05/10/th...hawa-male/
3 users Like Duco Ndona's post

RookiePundit Offline

(05-10-2021, 05:09 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(05-10-2021, 04:15 PM)1999gc8 Wrote: I saw the photo and although the picture of the face is mostly intact there is no hair at all on the neck or face and lower jaw appeared to be gone. Would the head and what's left of the neck  be completely bald in a few days or would it take a week or longer? So little left of the carcus I'm suprised anything could be identified except knowing theres male lion head with missing jaw. Honestly with his head so big it seems much smaller in the photo around the jaw area in length and the front part of the skull unless it was just the angle.

You would be suprise what scavangers do to carcass in few hours or 1 day, theres examples where full giraffe or elephant carcass after 1 day was eaten completely, only bones left.. So lion is nothing to them..

There was a video fairly recently on Tintswalo (Manyeleti) youtube channel observing scavengers using up a carcass of elephant male (don't worry, it had tusks so not killed by poachers). Interesting although bit gore and macabre scenes, for those who had missed that one.
1 user Likes RookiePundit's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

The ever-impressive Othawa male. Every time a lion roars and we are able to track and find him, it is an incredible experience, but finding the Othawa male was always bonus. We were seeing this male more and more as he pushed further east into the central parts of Londolozi and recently, even further… This was the morning before he crossed into the heart of the Birmingham male’s territory.
Photo credits goes to: Dean de la Rey

7 users Like Timbavati's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

The Othawa male stretches as he hears the roars in the distance that he soon responded to.
Photo credits goes to: Dean de la Rey

8 users Like Timbavati's post

RookiePundit Offline

(05-09-2021, 05:01 PM)Tonpa Wrote: @RookiePundit  hey, were you still interested in creating a lion database?

What do you have in mind? Go ahead. As for the post in Lion Directory thread, I am not gonna update it regularly from month to month or something, I might add info I get my hands on ragarding brith dates and ancestry and correct wrong info if I find any but mostly I think I will get back to it eventually to link at some individuals to pictures of them for whiskers comparison. No timetable given though, I need to deal with some other things irl.
1 user Likes RookiePundit's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(05-10-2021, 05:18 PM)lionuk Wrote: Beautiful Young Torchwood Male feeding on a kill he stole from a young leopard called Shasha.

Photo credits: Africa Journey Nature Experience 

He was seen on WildEarth at Chitwa Chitwa
1 user Likes Timbavati's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Nice blog post from londolozi, shame we'll never know what happened
3 users Like Tonpa's post

Gijima Offline
( This post was last modified: 05-10-2021, 08:37 PM by Gijima )

Pic from WE: 

Dark Mane sniffing around today in the exact spot touchwood male was yesterday in Chitwa. He was there for a while constantly going back and forth. I haven’t following this area too closely lately but it sounds like lots of audio and roaring day and night from the Avocas.
5 users Like Gijima's post