There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

T I N O Offline
Moderators

It is with shock that we can report almost conclusively that the Othawa male lion has been killed, most likely by one - or both of - the Birmingham males.
The carcass of a male lion was discovered today in our eastern sector, largely consumed by scavengers. The Othawa male was last seen in the same area a few days ago, disappearing into the night in response to the roars of another lion. Both Birmingham males have since been accounted for but of the Othawa male there has been no sign.
Dental comparisons between the carcass and photographs of the Othawa male also point to the remains being his.
We may be wrong, but it is certainly looking like the most magnificent male lion on Londolozi is no more.
We will await conclusive proof over the next few days, but if he truly is gone, it seems that the Othawa male most likely made a fatal error in venturing too far into Birmingham male territory.
" target="_blank" class="post_link">
3 users Like T I N O's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

What?? No way...
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Really big miscalculation on his part, I wonder who will expand into Singita now
2 users Like Tonpa's post

United States kobe8jf1234 Offline

(05-09-2021, 06:42 PM)Timbavati Wrote: It is with shock that we can report almost conclusively that the Othawa male lion has been killed, most likely by one - or both of - the Birmingham males.
The carcass of a male lion was discovered today in our eastern sector, largely consumed by scavengers. The Othawa male was last seen in the same area a few days ago, disappearing into the night in response to the roars of another lion. Both Birmingham males have since been accounted for but of the Othawa male there has been no sign.
Dental comparisons between the carcass and photographs of the Othawa male also point to the remains being his.
We may be wrong, but it is certainly looking like the most magnificent male lion on Londolozi is no more.
We will await conclusive proof over the next few days, but if he truly is gone, it seems that the Othawa male most likely made a fatal error in venturing too far into Birmingham male territory.
" target="_blank" class="post_link">

no way is this is real
1 user Likes kobe8jf1234's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 05-09-2021, 07:04 PM by Tr1x24 )

Did he really tried to challenge 2 Bboys as a lone male? No way..

Eastern Londolozi where he was last seen and carcass found is deep in Bboys territory.. I cant believe it..

Bu obiviously he was been playing with fire in the past year, roaring and venturing deeper into Londolozi and mating with Kambulas and was chased multiple times..

So sad if its true, he just entered his prime years..
4 users Like Tr1x24's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(05-09-2021, 07:02 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Did he really tried to challenge 2 Bboys as a lone male? No way..

Eastern Londolozi where he was last seen and carcass found is deep in Bboys territory.. I cant believe it..

Bu obiviously he was been playing with fire in the past year, roaring and venturing deeper into Londolozi and mating with Kambulas and was chased multiple times..

That's very true, He was been playing with fire for the past months too, roaring and marking territory deep into the Birmingham territory. Let's see what will happens with the Mangheni pride and their cubs. This is a point for the Birmingham males, as due there are a lot of coalition around, they're still dominant, so, they're a force to be reckoned with despite his age

Netherlands Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

Its always sad to hear stuff like this. 

I agree that it wasn't too surprising. 
He kept ignoring the warnings of the Birmingham Males and eventually payed the price. Perhaps when he skipped nomadic life. He also missed some important life lessions in humility and risks. 
But ultimately he was just a lone male in a world that is slowly shifting again to bigger and stronger coalitions. 

The fall of the Mhangeni pride male will probably change the dynamics of the region drastically. Perhaps the Northern Avocas will decide to focus on the Mhangeni instead of the Kambulas. But the Mhangeni can also become a home for the various roaming coalitions in the region. Perhaps even the Tumbellas may try to make a move now the Othawa pride is preoocupied with their new cubs. 
The pride may even split in two. With one group trying to save Nguvu's cubs and the other starting anew with the new males. 

In any case. The BBoys proved themselves to still be a force to be reckoned with.
6 users Like Duco Ndona's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 05-09-2021, 08:00 PM by Tr1x24 )

(05-09-2021, 07:52 PM)Duco Ndona Wrote: Perhaps when he skipped nomadic life. He also missed some important life lessions in humility and risks.

I think this might be correct.. His confidence was prob out of the roof, as he never lived tough nomadic life like most young males, where you are on a run from dominant males who want to kill you 24/7.. He was dominant since he was 4,but he was a leader of Othawa pride since Majingilanes pass away, at the age just over 3..
4 users Like Tr1x24's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

His enough confidence lead him to his death.

United States kobe8jf1234 Offline

(05-09-2021, 07:02 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Did he really tried to challenge 2 Bboys as a lone male? No way..

i pray it not him
1 user Likes kobe8jf1234's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

https://www.instagram.com/stories/gareth...933107940/

One of the birmingham males, seemingly unscathed
1 user Likes Tonpa's post

Contributor

There are some photos circulating of his remains.
I havent seen them yet. But from what I gather from various discriptions. Most of the body is gone but the face seems to be intact. 

I hate to say it, but it kinda reminds me of what happened to Kinky tail.
1 user Likes Duco Ndona's post

Gavskrr Offline

I am really very sad about all this, I do not doubt that he has paid his boldness with life is a world where every step is risky.

Curious that there is no visible damage, it is possible for two lions to immobilize and kill the opponent to the point of not being hurt, but it is even more difficult against a big lion like Nguvu.
3 users Like Gavskrr's post

Contributor

Tactics most likely. They probably launched a (surprise) attack on the spine from behind. Once that snapped he would have been defenseless.
4 users Like Duco Ndona's post

Psyckoo Offline

Maybe a chance for Styx and Nkuhuma males here...
5 users Like Psyckoo's post