There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Singita SS update
  • The Mhangene Pride have been a little hard to come by of late as they have explored the far reaches of their territory. Sadly, there are only three cubs, with the youngest suspected to have died within the month. On a positive note, we suspect that one of the older females is now denning, raising a brand-new litter somewhere within the central parts of our property.
  • The Styx and Nkuhuma male lions have been a prominent sighting this month, having several successful hunts including another juvenile giraffe. Their bond is growing, although still nomadic it’s an exciting time to witness their development.
  • The Matimba male lion was seen several times, once on a giraffe kill (made by the Styx and Nkuhuma lions) and again mid-month at the base of a marula tree, clawing the trunk to reach a hoisted impala kill.
4 users Like Potato's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 02-05-2021, 07:29 PM by Tonpa )

What's the current composition of the mhangeni pride?

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(02-05-2021, 07:29 PM)Tonpa Wrote: What's the current composistion of the mhangeni pride?

3 old females (11 yrs old, sired by Mapogos) , 2 (5 yrs old, sired by Majingilanes), 1 (2.5 yrs old, sired by Bboys) and 3 cubs.
4 users Like Tr1x24's post

RookiePundit Offline

Endearing peaceful moments of the Tsalala pride on Mala Mala property (first part of the video after spurfowls)

4 users Like RookiePundit's post

Gijima Offline

Mohawk & Dark Mane did not have a friendly reunion!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CK67M9eAR2a/?igshid=v1xndidpfr48

Can’t wait to hear what happens tomorrow.. my initial thoughts are that Dark Mane only reunited with Blondie in January ( reported but not photographed). They seem ok with each other.... but Mohawk was away the the Torchwoods and probably saw him for the first time today. I think they definitely recognize each other but Mohawk’s on a little power trip from conquering a new pride and doesn’t want to share. And Dark Mane is just too laid back to “argue” with Mohawk. Blondie was near by and not involved in this.
8 users Like Gijima's post

United States sik94 Offline
Sikander Hayat

(02-06-2021, 04:14 AM)Gijima Wrote: Mohawk & Dark Mane did not have a friendly reunion!

Can’t wait to hear what happens tomorrow.. my initial thoughts are that Dark Mane only reunited with Blondie in January ( reported but not photographed). They seem ok with each other.... but Mohawk was away the the Torchwoods and probably saw him for the first time today. I think they definitely recognize each other but Mohawk’s on a little power trip from conquering a new pride and doesn’t want to share. And Dark Mane is just too laid back to “argue” with Mohawk. Blondie was near by and not involved in this.

I feel like Mohawk will be the new dominant male of the coalition, he definitely took on the lead role after the coalition splintered and Dark-Mane won't fight it with that paw injury. Fascinating interaction.
1 user Likes sik94's post

Venezuela titose Offline

(02-06-2021, 04:14 AM)Gijima Wrote: Mohawk & Dark Mane did not have a friendly reunion!

I completely agree with your theory, as it was known that Dark mane and Blondie were spotted with the Nkuhuma pride lionesses on the same day but there was no photo of the two males together while Mohawk was with one of the Nkuhuma pride lionesses on a love date!  @Gijima
1 user Likes titose's post

Psyckoo Offline

Soon maybe that our bboys will have visist...

Venezuela titose Offline

(02-06-2021, 04:37 AM)Psyckoo Wrote: Soon maybe that our bboys will have visist...

I think you are getting way ahead of yourself, first they have to accept it again hopefully that will be the case! 
we cannot yet speculate on that possibility!
1 user Likes titose's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 02-06-2021, 05:11 AM by Tonpa )

Woah!

Was Dark Mane originally the dominant male? I wasn't around in those times.
1 user Likes Tonpa's post

Psyckoo Offline
( This post was last modified: 02-06-2021, 05:10 AM by Psyckoo )

(02-06-2021, 04:54 AM)titose Wrote:
(02-06-2021, 04:37 AM)Psyckoo Wrote: Soon maybe that our bboys will have visist...

I think you are getting way ahead of yourself, first they have to accept it again hopefully that will be the case! 
we cannot yet speculate on that possibility!

I don't think that Northern Avoca will fight each others or will not accep it, i think as Sik, Mohawk is just taking the role of the dominant male, he didn't attack him he know him... and as for bboys we are seeing Avoca coming more and more close to Mala Mala so i speculate that Avoca can move South in the coming months as Bboys are becoming old (i don't say that they are week). But yes will will have to patient, wild is unpredictable...
1 user Likes Psyckoo's post

United States sik94 Offline
Sikander Hayat

(02-06-2021, 05:07 AM)Tonpa Wrote: Woah!

Was Dark Mane originally the dominant male? I wasn't around in those times.
Yes, DarkMane was the biggest and most dominant early on but Mohawk was always a fiesty character even back then.
1 user Likes sik94's post

Venezuela Cunaguaro Offline

Torchwood male at Sabi Sands Game Reserve.
Credit: @inmyw_ildestdreams

*This image is copyright of its original author

Instagram
3 users Like Cunaguaro's post

United States felinefan Offline

(02-05-2021, 07:21 PM)Potato Wrote: Singita SS update
  • The Mhangene Pride have been a little hard to come by of late as they have explored the far reaches of their territory. Sadly, there are only three cubs, with the youngest suspected to have died within the month. On a positive note, we suspect that one of the older females is now denning, raising a brand-new litter somewhere within the central parts of our property.
  • The Styx and Nkuhuma male lions have been a prominent sighting this month, having several successful hunts including another juvenile giraffe. Their bond is growing, although still nomadic it’s an exciting time to witness their development.
  • The Matimba male lion was seen several times, once on a giraffe kill (made by the Styx and Nkuhuma lions) and again mid-month at the base of a marula tree, clawing the trunk to reach a hoisted impala kill.

It's sad to see the Mangheni pride consistently losing cubs.  In many of the recent video's, the pride seems to be always on the move with the small cubs following the lionesses that are way in front with no one. I think the cubs just get lost on this account. The pride lost 10 cubs since the Othawa male took over, the only survivor being Tinya - sired by the Birmingham males.  This consistent loss of cubs has happened ever since the death of one of the original Tsalala lioness in early 2018 that perhaps also lead to the abandoning of the Mangheni-12. It would be interesting to see the number of cubs this pride can raise to adults under the Othawa male.
2 users Like felinefan's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

People are overdramatizing this interaction very hard, this is no different then a fight for mating rights, only asserting dominance..

Its very likely that Mohawk found his brother with "his" Nkuhuma lionesses, and he wasn't happy about it. As somebody said, Blondie prob already reunited with DM before, but Mohawk was absent mating with Torchwoods, also his caracter is more feisty then other 2 brothers. 

Best indication that this isnt anything serious is the end, Mohawk just goes behind DM and lay down after he sees submission from DM, and DM didn't turn and allow his back being exposed, which means he trust his brother, you wont see lion exposing his back to anyone if feel threatned.
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post