There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Psyckoo Offline
( This post was last modified: 02-02-2021, 12:38 PM by Psyckoo )

West will be interesting, Tumbela males 'just' arriving, Othawa male alone, Styx and Nkuhuma are seem often there and Junior and the sub adult who just want to survives for now... 
( Othawa male reminds me a lot his fathers when they were east, each day people were asking when they will down but they fight until the last day... of course they were 4 and Othawa is alone but i see i like that)
2 users Like Psyckoo's post

United Kingdom Hairy tummy Offline

6 users Like Hairy tummy's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(02-02-2021, 06:02 AM)Tonpa Wrote: Are those boys big enough to overthrow him yet?

They are for sure. That is why being lone dominant male is so hard. He will be always on lossing position when against coalitions of males of around 4 years old and older. The more difficult part of taking over Othawa male territorry could be subduing Mhangnie female as they having already cubs with Othawa male possibly would avoid Nkuchuma/Styx males.
3 users Like Potato's post

Othawa male must have one of the best manes around? Can u think of other males that have a mane as impressive as his?

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(02-02-2021, 07:39 PM)Hairy tummy Wrote: Othawa male must have one of the best manes around? Can u think of other males that have a mane as impressive as his?

Yes OM has beautiful and big mane, it reminds me of Hairy Belly's mane with hair covering his shoulder's..

Theres many lions with beautiful manes atm, recently what i saw what impressed me is Snip Tail Mpondo and S. Shishangeni male, both have very dark manes.
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

RookiePundit Offline

I have hopes for Torchwood Young Male, looks indicate he is very likely Nhenha's son and imho best looking young male in Sabi Sands/Mala Mala atm, besides Ottawa/Nguvu. But he might not get into a favourable situation to develop into his prime like Ottawa did.

On un unrelated note, new footage of Tinyo:

7 users Like RookiePundit's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Throwback at last sighting of Ximhungwe young male sired by Selatis, in April 2017,with his sisters in southern Manyeleti, he was around 4 yrs old:

Photo Credit : Tintswalo

*This image is copyright of its original author

His sisters where seen 2 months later returning in western sector, but without their brother, his fate we will never know.
7 users Like Tr1x24's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(02-02-2021, 07:39 PM)Hairy tummy Wrote: Othawa male must have one of the best manes around? Can u think of other males that have a mane as impressive as his?

If you mean "how long the hairs are in the mane" then I believe there are around males with as impressive manes. If you mean however range of the mane, that it goes through his neck and shoulders then it is rare for a lions in Greater Kruger. Scar Nose Majingi had tho exactly same kind of mane so it makes sense Othawa male have it as well.
1 user Likes Potato's post

Was just a very general question, asking peoples thoughts about the othawa males impressive mane,thats all

Psyckoo Offline

Some times ago @vizions say that West street males were rulling to 1994 until 2004, that make them the most longest reigns in Sabi Sands, there is fact or not about that ?
1 user Likes Psyckoo's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(02-03-2021, 03:56 AM)Psyckoo Wrote: Some times ago @vizions say that West street males were rulling to 1994 until 2004, that make them the most longest reigns in Sabi Sands, there is fact or not about that ?

I do not know when they became dominant, but in 1996 sired Rollercoaster males were born so the ruled at least from that point to 2004 so indeed one of the longest reigns if not the longest.
4 users Like Potato's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Some week data from elephant plains lodge

Monday, 25 January 2021
(30°C)
The Nkuhuma pride of lions resting on Koala Bear Road.

Tuesday, 26 January 2021
(32°C)
The Nkuhuma pride of lions resting on Shirley’s open area.

Wednesday, 27 January 2021
(31°C)
One Avoca male lion resting on EP open area.
The Nkuhuma pride of lions resting close to Rhino Pan.

Thursday, 28 January 2021
(30°C)
The Nkuhuma pride of lions feeding on an impala kill in Ngala open area.

Friday, 29 January 2021
(33°C)
One Avoca male lion resting at Simbambili Dam.

Saturday, 30 January 2021
(31°C)
Two Avoca male lions scent marking along Seepline East close to Safari airstrip.
5 users Like Tonpa's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

6 users Like Tr1x24's post

Timbavati Online
Moderators

The Nkuhuma pride seen this morning
Image by: Sharron Damant Hoffmann

4 users Like Timbavati's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Two of the Othawa youngsters.
Photo by Dulini game reserve

In the commens they mentioned all 4 sub-adults are now together.

6 users Like Tonpa's post