There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 7 Vote(s) - 4.43 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 11-24-2018, 10:57 PM by Rishi )

this is for all lions in the Sabi Sands not just males or females every lion, these lions are the lions gathering the most attention from the public, think this will invite much more posters who loves the Sabi Sands lions.

*This image is copyright of its original author
I'll start with this male lion, the old birmingham male lion, this is the one weighed at Timbawati and weighed 280 kg with a full belly (estimated to weigh ca 250 kg empty) 
7 users Like Pantherinae's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

Highly debatable and alleged claim, since not a single image of him being weighed exists yet images of him being tranq'd and confirmation of him being estimated by the person that was on site are available.

1 user Likes Pckts's post

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

You don't have to comment every time that this lions weight is mentiond, the vet almero said that this lion was weighed, and there is a picture of a large male lion on a scale from timbawati! 
I can't see why a wildlife should lie about weighing an animal. 
when the vet says it's weighed, it's more than enough proof for me! 
1 user Likes Pantherinae's post

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

@Pantherinae , Good thread, I was also thinking of it, Please continue with latest news and update of lions from Sabi Sands
1 user Likes sanjay's post

Guatemala GuateGojira Offline
Expert & Researcher
( This post was last modified: 07-03-2015, 09:28 AM by GuateGojira )

(07-03-2015, 02:58 AM)'Pantherinae' Wrote: You don't have to comment every time that this lions weight is mentiond, the vet almero said that this lion was weighed, and there is a picture of a large male lion on a scale from timbawati! 

Then, why you doubt about the leopard of 115 kg from Iran? It was also weighed by a vet.

Just saying.

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 07-03-2015, 10:16 AM by Pantherinae )

(07-03-2015, 09:27 AM)'GuateGojira' Wrote:
(07-03-2015, 02:58 AM)'Pantherinae' Wrote: You don't have to comment every time that this lions weight is mentiond, the vet almero said that this lion was weighed, and there is a picture of a large male lion on a scale from timbawati! 

Then, why you doubt about the leopard of 115 kg from Iran? It was also weighed by a vet.

Just saying.

the leopard was injuried, shot in the spine, and missing one paw. it was an injuried cat, and still it was by a mile the biggest one they captured and weighed, second of all it did not look that big, look at the comparisons made by @Pckts with tigers weighing a little less and a little more, they looked bigger, I highly doubt 115 kg, more like 80-90 kg. the leopard might have been gorged when he was weighed. but I accept it, a 115 kg leopard is just good news and very interesting, but I still think maybe the scale was a bit misleading or the leopard must have eaten A LOT!

the lion was discribed as a big animal, weighed by ecologist and a vetreanrian who has replyed and said it was weighed.... it's nonesense to belive he's lying! 
here is what Timbawati themself has said about the case. 

I can't see any reason not to belive this.

Expert & Researcher
( This post was last modified: 07-03-2015, 10:50 AM by GuateGojira )

However, the leopard (115 kg) was published in a per review document while the lion (250 kg) was not.

How this affect your "personal" appreciation of the records?

1 user Likes GuateGojira's post

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 07-03-2015, 06:12 PM by Pantherinae )

(07-03-2015, 10:49 AM)'GuateGojira' Wrote: However, the leopard (115 kg) was published in a per review
document while the lion (250 kg) was not.

I don't know what youre talking about, I said I accepted the leopards weight. 

it can be published in  per reviwed ducument or wherever.. it does not have any affect on my personal appreciation of records, 
when it's documented by vet's,  biologist's or ecologist's you can't anything else then accept it..  

I don't know why you're commenting on this? it's not in the right place if you don't have any thing you want to share about lions from Sabi Sands, I suggest you stop.  

Argentina Tshokwane Offline
Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Everyone is so touchy when someone challenges his personal appreciation of some matter..
You both are right. There is no reason to doubt about the lion's weight, especially when a direct answer states that is correct and the same goes for the leopard weight, even if the cat was gorged.
So, let it go.
Let's concentrate in the lions of sabi sands.

2 users Like Tshokwane's post

Argentina Tshokwane Offline
Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 07-03-2015, 08:25 PM by Tshokwane )

After the attack of the Matimba males, the Styx males run away and it took some days for them to be seen again.
First, the bigger male was seen feeding on a buffalo and yesterday on a waterbuck he killed alone.

After several days without news about him, the dominant male of the coalition was seen, apparently he has some "serious injuries".

They seem to be 10 km apart from each other, but of course it will take time before they dare to enter Matimba territory again, especially after this beating.
It's a good sign that the male with the black mane is still alive, but still I'm a bit weary. He will need to feed and of course can't hunt if he's injured. So unless he can scavenge some food of other predators, he will need to find his brother in order to be safe.
Let's hope they can be together soon.
Edit: He was seen "on Cheetah Plains this morning, following a herd of buffalo. He isn't in the best shape, but he is up and about."

So great news, he's one of my favorite young males.

4 users Like Tshokwane's post

Expert & Researcher
( This post was last modified: 07-04-2015, 10:32 AM by GuateGojira )

(07-03-2015, 06:11 PM)'Pantherinae' Wrote:
(07-03-2015, 10:49 AM)'GuateGojira' Wrote: However, the leopard (115 kg) was published in a per review
document while the lion (250 kg) was not.

I don't know what youre talking about, I said I accepted the leopards weight. 

it can be published in  per reviwed ducument or wherever.. it does not have any affect on my personal appreciation of records, 
when it's documented by vet's,  biologist's or ecologist's you can't anything else then accept it..  

I don't know why you're commenting on this? it's not in the right place if you don't have any thing you want to share about lions from Sabi Sands, I suggest you stop.  

Don't get angry and dramatic, I asked something by pure curiosity and you reacted like if someone have insulted you or something like that.

Personally, I don't see any problem to accept both records, but I am curious to know why you showed two different points of view, in similar cases.

Chill out and then you can return more calm to the topic.

Continue with the Sabi lions Majingilane, I am reading all the posts about all these particular groups of lions. [img]images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

1 user Likes GuateGojira's post

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

@GuateGojira what are you talking about? 

I answerd you're question, I was just wondering why leopards and lions weight suddenly become the topic here. I'm not angry or defensive 
I was just honest when I said this thread is not the place to discuss that. 

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

Okay, now you both can move forwad, its useless to fight on these things, I am also looking for more lions data, I am loving the lion coalition.
1 user Likes sanjay's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 07-05-2015, 11:46 PM by Pckts )

I only mention it when you mention it stating that it "was weighed." You could of easily started this thread without that claim and providing any amount of information on the pride and family history that could of been great like with any of the other coalitions. The people on site during capture never weighed it, simple as that, images of the capture prove that.  Why one persons word who wasn't on site should be taken over a person word who was is confusing to me. 

chaos Offline
wildlife enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 07-06-2015, 07:23 PM by chaos )

(07-05-2015, 11:45 PM)'Pckts' Wrote:

I only mention it when you mention it stating that it "was weighed." You could of easily started this thread without that claim and providing any amount of information on the pride and family history that could of been great like with any of the other coalitions. The people on site during capture never weighed it, simple as that, images of the capture prove that.  Why one persons word who wasn't on site should be taken over a person word who was is confusing to me. 

Ahem............There are two different takes on this story. You, by choice, chose to discredit one, effectively suiting your
position, so why not just be honest about it. Your own personal bias clearly outweighs any objectivity you may have on
this subject. Sorry, but I call it as I see it.

3 users Like chaos's post