There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Netherlands Duco Ndona Online
Contributor

In the end, they are just scared kids. They lack the strength to comfortably win big fights. Nor have the confidence to make a stand.

They probably were looking for the kill and found the pride along with them. Then ran the minute the Nkuhumas charged them, but failed to escape before receiving some blows. DM probably was present too, but didnt need to do anything.
1 user Likes Duco Ndona's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(04-16-2021, 11:35 PM)Gijima Wrote: Yeah there would only have been scraps of the kill at that point. I guess there's a lot of excitement around new young males but, at least for me personally, I don't see them being a huge threat anytime soon. And 4 isn't that young. I'm sure many of our current dominant males were roaring and challenging for territory at that age (of course getting beat too and chased around).

I think nobody was expecting from Plains Camp males to challenge territory rn, they are not 4 yrs old yet.. 

Also, you expect young males to fight unknown pride in an area where they literaly arrived the same day and where only few days Avocas territory. . Thats not how it works.. 

All young males test water for months, even half a year  in certaint area before making some moves..
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 04-17-2021, 12:25 AM by Tr1x24 )

(04-16-2021, 11:46 PM)Duco Ndona Wrote: In the end, they are just scared kids. They lack the strength to comfortably win big fights. Nor have the confidence to make a stand.

They probably were looking for the kill and found the pride along with them. Then ran the minute the Nkuhumas charged them, but failed to escape before receiving some blows. DM probably was present too, but didnt need to do anything.

Expecting from young males to fight after being few days in that area with 0 info.. . Thats not how it work and can get you killed. They didnt run because of females..

Gijima Offline

@Tr1x24 I'm not sure what you're trying to say. There were only females there, unless DM showed up. 

The whole time this scenario was playing out both guides were talking about the Nkuhumas being in some danger from the two males who were right around the corner--- that's all everyone was talking about---- so I guess more than anything I just found the incident entertaining. I agree no male just shows up and starts fighting for a territory... so the overreaction to them being in the area was what I was referring to by everyone including the guides. 

@Duco Ndona Yea that's probably how it played out. They will go through this scenario maybe 20 more times in the future until one day they do the charging/chasing and even chase a dominant male.. and that point they'll probably be ready for a true territorial take over. As far as we know they went south west so probably moved completely away from the area.
2 users Like Gijima's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(04-17-2021, 12:22 AM)Gijima Wrote: @Tr1x24 I'm not sure what you're trying to say. There were only females there, unless DM showed up. 

The whole time this scenario was playing out both guides were talking about the Nkuhumas being in some danger from the two males who were right around the corner--- that's all everyone was talking about---- so I guess more than anything I just found the incident entertaining. I agree no male just shows up and starts fighting for a territory... so the overreaction to them being in the area was what I was referring to by everyone including the guides. 

I meant that young males run away because they where on a "new territory" to them, from scent mark and roars they know that theres dominant males around and that that pride belongs to someone, of which they have almost 0 info..

Didn't watch WE so i dont know what you are referring to, but guides usually do build some narratives for entertainment..

Gijima Offline

That's true but in this case they were hanging around all day, knew a pride was on a kill, and listened to them for over an hour before going to seek them out (obviously to steal a kill... no other reason) and were chased. That's all we can say at this point.
1 user Likes Gijima's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(04-17-2021, 12:40 AM)Gijima Wrote: That's true but in this case they were hanging around all day, knew a pride was on a kill, and listened to them for over an hour before going to seek them out (obviously to steal a kill... no other reason) and were chased. That's all we can say at this point.

Do you know when they talked about that on WE?

RookiePundit Offline

You can just listen to the sunset WE drive (16th April) it would actually it could actually be a decent podcast as a lot of it is just Tristan having a clinic on tracking (looking for what turns out to be Xidulu female leopard, no visual), talking abot leopards and lion situation and animal behaviour and ocassionally answering something else. The rest is Trishala initially on the dam cam and then driving after dark and Dryke on Ngala. For the topic of this thread there is a sleepy Dark Mane Avoca on western Djuma in the second half of the drive (after sunset). Not a sighting heavy drive, but as always Tristan is just great to just listen to.
2 users Like RookiePundit's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Its 2 hours 53 minutes 50 seconds if you haven't found it - Sunset stream today
3 users Like Tonpa's post

Gijima Offline

@Tonpa haha thanks I was just about to post that. These drives are so long and I always just jump around so it was really annoying remembering exactly where I heard that.
4 users Like Gijima's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(04-16-2021, 11:25 PM)Tonpa Wrote: I think by the time the PC boys arrived there was no more kill, the Nkhumas caught a Impala ram and turned it into nothing pretty quickly. That was at 7pm.

Tinyo and a Lioness @ 2:49

Tinyo is looking a bit battered, Isn't mange what he has on his shoulder?.
1 user Likes T I N O's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

It might be ringworm, its a pretty neat patch

Germany BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator
( This post was last modified: 04-17-2021, 02:26 AM by BA0701 )

(04-17-2021, 02:12 AM)TinoArmando Wrote:
(04-16-2021, 11:25 PM)Tonpa Wrote: I think by the time the PC boys arrived there was no more kill, the Nkhumas caught a Impala ram and turned it into nothing pretty quickly. That was at 7pm.

I was thinking the same thing, and that large knot on his shoulder doesn't look good either. His face is cut, his mouth swollen, that spot of possible mange as you mentioned. Now is the worst possible time for one of the B-Boys to develop health issues.
3 users Like BA0701's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(04-17-2021, 02:25 AM)BA0701 Wrote:
(04-17-2021, 02:12 AM)TinoArmando Wrote:

I was thinking the same thing, and that large knot on his shoulder doesn't look good either. His face is cut, his mouth swollen, that spot of possible mange as you mentioned. Now is the worst possible time for one of the B-Boys to develop health issues.

I couldn't be more agree. Isn't a good year for the BBoys to show some health issues. A lot of young males are around.
1 user Likes T I N O's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(04-17-2021, 02:25 AM)BA0701 Wrote:  Now is the worst possible time for one of the B-Boys to develop health issues.
As harash as it may sounds it would probably be better for Kambula pride. The worst time for Birminghams to show health issues would be when there would be plenty of cubs around in Kambula pride. Birminghams are not getting any younger and are unlikely to be able to carry another generation of cubs in the pride to adulthood. Now it seem to be perfect time for the pride to get new dominant males.
1 user Likes Potato's post