There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 7 Vote(s) - 4.43 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Nyyanksny03 Offline
New Join

I am new here, i actually created this to come on here and ask a question. I was on instagram and stumbled upon someone’s page. Can someone please validate the pictures posted on there about the “Majingilanes”? There are some pictures showing them as young nomadic lions, theyre fathers and mothers and sisters. The insta page is “ahmedodinia”. First time i ever seen these pictures. One of them shows a 2009 Robson/ottawa coalition of 2 males as the Majingilanes fathers. Anywyas thank you

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Kambula pride and one bboy down in Umkumbe, can't tell who it is

5 users Like Tonpa's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(04-13-2021, 01:58 PM)Tonpa Wrote: Kambula pride and one bboy down in Umkumbe, can't tell who it is

Nhenha, whole this splitting by Kambula pride in smaller gruops might harm the Bboys in the end, as they are not so often together..
4 users Like Tr1x24's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

One of the Othawa girls is pregnant, quite pronounced teats. Looks like we'll be getting the Tumbelas first offspring soon. 

7 users Like Tonpa's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

• After a difficult month during February, with the loss of their cubs (except one) during a run in with the N’waswitshaka males, the Mhangene Pride has once again bounced back and to our surprise have been seen with another new pride member! Although one of the older females has begun to truly show the signs of her age, the addition of a new cub into the pride has brought new hope for the lionesses and that too for the Othawa male’s lineage.
  • The Othawa sub-adults (one female and three males) have again been seen a number of times on the property this month. With greater presence from the Tumbela males in the west, these youngsters are seemingly pushing further east onto Singita and are doing well for themselves. The last weeks of March saw them feeding on a giraffe kill for close to a week, with no interruptions. 
  • There have been no further sightings of the N’waswitshaka male lions on the property, however distant roars can sometimes be heard further in the south east. Only time will tell if this coalition pushes further into Othawa / Birmingham male territory.
  • The Styx and Nkuhuma young males too have been viewed a few times this month, with one occasion having been chased by one of their fathers (the Birmingham males) further west and away from their territory. The two young males, although nomadic, are still thriving together. 
https://singita.com/2021/03/singita-sabi...march-2021
4 users Like Tonpa's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(04-13-2021, 03:22 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Nhenha, whole this splitting by Kambula pride in smaller gruops might harm the Bboys in the end, as they are not so often together..
I do not think spliting of Kambula pride can be blame of Birminghams do not spent time together. Bond between them is just probably not particularly strong. For example 2 of the Nharhus are nearly always seen together no matter what their pride is doing.
(04-13-2021, 04:13 PM)Tonpa Wrote: One of the Othawa girls is pregnant, quite pronounced teats.

Older Mhangeni female seen in 7:10 also look pregnant to my eye.
2 users Like Potato's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Elephant plains sightings

Tuesday, 6 April 2021
One Avoca male lion resting close to Eagle Owl Crossing.
The Nkuhuma pride of lions resting just of Marula Bult South.

Wednesday, 7 April 2021
The Two Plains Camp male lions resting at Serengeti Pan.
The Talamati pride of lions resting at One-eye Pan.
The Nkuhuma pride of lions resting at Tamboti open area.

Thursday, 8 April 2021
The Nkuhuma pride of lions resting on Mehluane open area.

Friday, 9 April 2021
The Ximungwe lioness and her cub resting close to Simbambili Dam.
The Nkuhuma pride of lions feeding on a Buffalo kill just of Zebra Drive.

Saturday, 10 April 2021
The Nkuhuma pride of lions resting on the Northern end of Safari Airstrip.
The Ximungwe lioness and her cub resting on One-eye Pan Road.

Sunday, 11 April 2021
The Nkuhuma pride of lions resting on Lost Track Road.
2 users Like Tonpa's post

South Africa Slayerd Offline

(04-13-2021, 09:54 PM)Potato Wrote:
(04-13-2021, 03:22 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Nhenha, whole this splitting by Kambula pride in smaller gruops might harm the Bboys in the end, as they are not so often together..
I do not think spliting of Kambula pride can be blame of Birminghams do not spent time together. Bond between them is just probably not particularly strong. For example 2 of the Nharhus are nearly always seen together no matter what their pride is doing.
(04-13-2021, 04:13 PM)Tonpa Wrote: One of the Othawa girls is pregnant, quite pronounced teats.

I disagree, there was just a video the other day showing the 2 reuniting and showing their bond. I think it's multiple things that keeps the Birmingham Boys separated. Number 1, the pride they control is continuously seeperated these days and the females are in oestrus causing the males to split in occasion. Number 2, the Bboys control a very large territory for 2 males who only control one pride. I don't think we can even say for certain where the borders of their territory are because it fluctuates which is why its so easy for males surrounding them to enter. Their territory is very difficult to control and patrol. They probably just mark wherever they go. Number 3, Nhenha and Tinyo come from a large coalition who separated to control their large territory and many prides. Nhenha was known to be a loner who did things on his own mostly and Tinyo stuck with Mfumo or bounced between the prides. This is their nature and won't change because their brothers died. Unlike HB and Ginger or Mr T and KK who were always together from their split , Nhenha and Tinyo just had tragedies forced upon their coalition. They didn't choose to split up. However, we do know that Nhenha and Tinyo are smart and will join when they need to. Examples like dealing with the N'waswitshaka, chasing the Northern Avocas, chasing the Othawa Male etc. And they also know how to deal with things on their own like Nhenha chasing the N Avocas, Tinyo and Nhenha separately chasing the Plains Camp Males, Nhenha chasing Styx and Nkuhuma and even Nhenha backing off from Mohawk instead of putting himself and Tinyo waiting for Nhenha instead of charging at the Othawa Male shows they know when to play it smart. That's their dynamic and how they deal with their problems.
5 users Like Slayerd's post

South Africa Slayerd Offline
( This post was last modified: 04-13-2021, 10:49 PM by Slayerd )

(04-13-2021, 09:54 PM)Potato Wrote:

I disagree, there was just a video the other day showing the 2 reuniting and showing their bond. I think it's multiple things that keeps the Birmingham Boys separated on occasion. Number 1, the pride they control is continuously seperated these days and the females are in oestrus causing the males to split on occasion. Number 2, the Bboys control a very large territory for 2 males who only control one  large pride. I don't think we can even say for certain where the borders of their territory are because it fluctuates which is why its so easy for males surrounding them to enter. Their territory is very difficult to control and patrol. They probably just mark wherever they go. Number 3, Nhenha and Tinyo come from a large coalition who separated to control their large territory and many prides. Nhenha was known to be a loner who did things on his own mostly and Tinyo stuck with Mfumo or bounced between the prides. This is their nature and won't change because their brothers died. Unlike HB and Ginger or Mr T and KK who were always together from their split , Nhenha and Tinyo just had tragedies forced upon their coalition. They didn't choose to split up. However, we do know that Nhenha and Tinyo are smart and will join when they need to. Examples like dealing with the N'waswitshaka, chasing the Northern Avocas, chasing the Othawa Male etc. And they also know how to deal with things on their own like Nhenha chasing the N Avocas, Tinyo and Nhenha separately chasing the Plains Camp Males, Nhenha chasing Styx and Nkuhuma and even Nhenha backing off from Mohawk instead of putting himself at risk and Tinyo waiting for Nhenha instead of charging at the Othawa Male shows they know when to play it smart. That's their dynamic and how they deal with their problems.
2 users Like Slayerd's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(04-13-2021, 09:54 PM)Potato Wrote: I do not think spliting of Kambula pride can be blame of Birminghams do not spent time together. Bond between them is just probably not particularly strong. For example 2 of the Nharhus are nearly always seen together no matter what their pride is doing.

I dont think thats a bond thing.. Because the problem is they cannot be together if pride is always split in two, three gruops, because females are not together, so they need to be sure that they have them under control, especially when in heat, because they will vander of and mate with other males, as we see that actually happened with OM, Mohawk and Wide Nose Nwaswitshaka..
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(04-13-2021, 10:47 PM)Slayerd Wrote: I disagree, there was just a video the other day showing the 2 reuniting and showing their bond. I think it's multiple things that keeps the Birmingham Boys separated on occasion. Number 1, the pride they control is continuously seperated these days and the females are in oestrus causing the males to split on occasion. Number 2, the Bboys control a very large territory for 2 males who only control one  large pride. I don't think we can even say for certain where the borders of their territory are because it fluctuates which is why its so easy for males surrounding them to enter. Their territory is very difficult to control and patrol. They probably just mark wherever they go. Number 3, Nhenha and Tinyo come from a large coalition who separated to control their large territory and many prides. Nhenha was known to be a loner who did things on his own mostly and Tinyo stuck with Mfumo or bounced between the prides. This is their nature and won't change because their brothers died. Unlike HB and Ginger or Mr T and KK who were always together from their split , Nhenha and Tinyo just had tragedies forced upon their coalition. They didn't choose to split up. However, we do know that Nhenha and Tinyo are smart and will join when they need to. Examples like dealing with the N'waswitshaka, chasing the Northern Avocas, chasing the Othawa Male etc. And they also know how to deal with things on their own like Nhenha chasing the N Avocas, Tinyo and Nhenha separately chasing the Plains Camp Males, Nhenha chasing Styx and Nkuhuma and even Nhenha backing off from Mohawk instead of putting himself at risk and Tinyo waiting for Nhenha instead of charging at the Othawa Male shows they know when to play it smart. That's their dynamic and how they deal with their problems.

Very nice said, agree with every word!
4 users Like Tr1x24's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Smudge nose Torchwood by Kyraandthewild

*This image is copyright of its original author
5 users Like Tonpa's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(04-13-2021, 10:45 PM)Slayerd Wrote: I disagree, there was just a video the other day showing the 2 reuniting and showing their bond.
I am not saying they do not have bond with each other at all, just that it is not strong. Even tho in every coalition, every member has a bond with each other, some members has a stronger bond with some coalition members then with another coalition members. For example 2 of the Nharhus has stronger bond with each others than with limping one or the Avocas Blondie and Mohawk has stronger bond with each others than with DM or 2 Shishangan males had stronger bond with each others than with domiant Xingham or Mr T and KT had stronger bond with each others than with other Mapogos and so on. Nhenha and Tinyo bassicly spent time with each others just when they had Kambula pride, but that was rather because they both wanted to company the pride rather than because they wanted to company each others.

(04-13-2021, 10:45 PM)Slayerd Wrote: Number 1, the pride they control is continuously seeperated these days
And what stops them to be spending time just with each others away from the pride or just spent them with the same part of the pride? Nothink.

(04-13-2021, 10:45 PM)Slayerd Wrote: Number 2, the Bboys control a very large territory for 2 males who only control one pride
Actually it is exactly the opposite of it. For the past months with Avocas aquaring northern Londolozi and northern Mala Mala and with Othawa male securing western LOndolozi, Birminghams are very boxed in now. For the comparison two youngest Mapogos at 2008/2009 partolled arena same or even a bit bigger than Birminghams and Blondie with Mohawk Avoca combined. 

(04-13-2021, 10:45 PM)Slayerd Wrote: Nhenha and Tinyo come from a large coalition who separated to control their large territory and many prides. Nhenha was known to be a loner who did things on his own mostly and Tinyo stuck with Mfumo or bounced between the prides. This is their nature and won't change because their brothers died. Unlike HB and Ginger or Mr T and KK who were always together from their split , Nhenha and Tinyo just had tragedies forced upon their coalition. They didn't choose to split up
There wasn't any split among Birminghams, they were just having 3 prides under their control back then and all had their preferences as to with which pride they want to spent their time. 
(04-13-2021, 10:45 PM)Slayerd Wrote: However, we do know that Nhenha and Tinyo are smart and will join when they need to.

So far they joined forces only when the had to deal with N'was and they once chassed together Othawa male from the kill. So far they did not respond together neither to Avocas pushing more souther, neither Othawa male pushing east which for now puts under question mark how capable really are Nhenha and Tinyo as a duo.
(04-13-2021, 10:45 PM)Slayerd Wrote: And they also know how to deal with things on their own like Nhenha chasing the N Avocas, Tinyo and Nhenha separately chasing the Plains Camp Males, Nhenha chasing Styx and Nkuhuma
It is very short lived strategy. It would be naive to think they could keep pushing other coalitions without working together. Single out male stand no chance against two opponents and if Nhenha and Tinyo won't respond together to those challangers then their days as the dominant males in the arena will be over.
4 users Like Potato's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(04-13-2021, 10:50 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: I dont think thats a bond thing.. Because the problem is they cannot be together if pride is always split in two, three gruops, because females are not together
Of course they can (and should) be together no matter what pride is doing. The do not need to be with pride members at all even.

(04-13-2021, 10:50 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: so they need to be sure that they have them under control
That they do by keeping other coalitions at bay, not by sticking with pride members.

(04-13-2021, 10:50 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: especially when in heat, because they will vander of and mate with other males, as we see that actually happened with OM, Mohawk and Wide Nose Nwaswitshaka..
That is because Birminghams did not secure their borders properly. Avocas pushing south as well as OM pushing east are the issues the Birminghams should had responded to much ealier insteed of just them following the pride in hope of easy meals.
2 users Like Potato's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

@Potato dont want to argue, but i disagree with almost everything you said..

There is 0, I mean 0 evidence that Nhenha and Tinyo dont have strong bond, or as strong as idk Blondie and Mohawk for example, besides your words..

Some of your claims here are just not correct in my opinion..