There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Tonpa Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 07-01-2021, 03:02 PM by Tonpa )

He mentioned its an Othawa female. Which makes more sense I guess

6 users Like Tonpa's post

lionuk Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 07-01-2021, 10:48 PM by lionuk )

Three lionesses were seen today ithe late afternoon. They seemed to be interested in a large herd of impala nearby wait. After the sun had set, the lionesses began moving closer to the impala and suddenly the sound of impala running had startled them. The impala started running again, this time straight towards a lioness. According to the photographers, the sound of struggling was enough to tell them that one of lionesses had made a kill, and the other two joined quickly, trying to take their fair share. 

*This image is copyright of its original author

5 users Like lionuk's post

Hairy tummy Offline
( This post was last modified: 07-01-2021, 07:32 PM by Hairy tummy )

Pc boys that were chased?
1 user Likes Hairy tummy's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 07-01-2021, 08:08 PM by Tr1x24 )

(07-01-2021, 07:31 PM)Hairy tummy Wrote: Pc boys that were chased?

Apparently they where by Tumbelas few weeks ago.but they returned, and they are very confident in Tumbelas territory after "scouting" them , roaring in heart of their territory.. Interesting what will fold with this , it looks like PC boys are not affraid of Tumbelas..

PC boys, even around 1 years younger then Nk/Styx, look to be much more confident in enquire territory then them..

In all of of this, Othawas might be the losers, if PC overtake Tumbelas, with new cubs around..
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

United States sik94 Offline
Sikander Hayat
( This post was last modified: 07-08-2021, 09:55 PM by sik94 )

PC are a very promising coalition to me, I'd rate them over NK/Styx even though they are younger. If they challenge the Tumbelas I won't be too surprised.
3 users Like sik94's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Hope eyescar is sticking close to Skorro Jr
2 users Like Tonpa's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(07-01-2021, 08:25 PM)sik94 Wrote: PC are a very promising coalition to me, I'd rate them over NK/Styx even though they are younger. If they challenge the Tumbelas I won't be too surprised.

Yea, i think these boys are new big thing in Sabi Sands (might be wrong, anything can happen in the wild), but they are 1.5 + years into nomadic life and they very experienced in that regard, they will surely choose their fights and i wouldn't be suprised if they become dominant before Styx/NK males..
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

lionuk Offline
Contributor

(07-01-2021, 08:25 PM)sik94 Wrote: PC are a very promising coalition to me, I'd rate them over NK/Styx even though they are younger. If they challenge the Tumbelas I won't be too surprised.

Yeah, but they could go and try Mhangeni Pride as they don't have a dominant male. They probably aren't aware of that. 
That way, the Tumbelas can stay at the Othawa Pride.
1 user Likes lionuk's post

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

Ultimately its just chance.

The Tumbellas looked close to dying when they arrived in the western sector. But they just happened to be at the right spot at the right time when the Othawas decided to change the guard.

Soon the majority of the Mhangeni pride will be looking for a new mate. Which coalition happens to be there. Will likely win.

Gijima Offline

(07-01-2021, 06:52 PM)lionuk Wrote: Three Styx lionesses were seen today ithe late afternoon. They seemed to be interested in a large herd of impala nearby wait. After the sun had set, the lionesses began moving closer to the impala and suddenly the sound of impala running had startled them. The impala started running again, this time straight towards a lioness. According to the photographers, the sound of struggling was enough to tell them that one of lionesses had made a kill, and the other two joined quickly, trying to take their fair share. 

I could be wrong but these don't look like the Styx females?
1 user Likes Gijima's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

I saw someone on FB had them listed as Kambulas
2 users Like Tonpa's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(07-01-2021, 10:07 PM)Duco Ndona Wrote: The Tumbellas looked close to dying when they arrived in the western sector. But they just happened to be at the right spot at the right time when the Othawas decided to change the guard.

Soon the majority of the Mhangeni pride will be looking for a new mate. Which coalition happens to be there. Will likely win.
It doesn't work that way. The strongest coalition will force out all other males from the arena and will leave females no other options to mate with baside themselfs. Pride female do not pick pride males, they mate with dominant in the arena males. Othawa pride did not decide on Tumbela males to repleace Matimba male, but they themselfs took over arena on which Othawa pride is operating.
3 users Like Potato's post

Gijima Offline

Did they mention on FB if these were the subadults? Some look like adults but I honestly can't tell the Kambulas apart.
1 user Likes Gijima's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 07-01-2021, 11:02 PM by Tr1x24 )

(07-01-2021, 10:45 PM)Potato Wrote: It doesn't work that way. The strongest coalition will force out all other males from the arena and will leave females no other options to mate with baside themselfs. Pride female do not pick pride males, they mate with dominant in the arena males. Othawa pride did not decide on Tumbela males to repleace Matimba male, but they themselfs took over arena on which Othawa pride is operating.

Yep, as @Potato say, if Tumbelas are not strong enough to defend their territory and got ousted, Othawas will have no option yet to accept PC' s as new dominant males in the area, even at the cost of their cubs, or just go nomadic and save the cubs, which is very unlikely with young cubs like that.. 

Mhangeni pride has little to no effect on this scenario, as we can see, PC boys are not target ing them and their area..why is that? We dont know.
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

True. But this is a case where there is no meaningful male present. And if they go into heat. They won't be picky.
Once they are pregnant. They wont be as welcome. So who comes knocking then will have a harder time.

While they can make a claim regardless. For a young still nomadic coalition a pride welcoming or rejecting them can make the difference between deciding to make a claim or moving on to find a better spot.