There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 5 Vote(s) - 3.8 Average
Lion Predation

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(01-16-2019, 05:07 AM)Shadow Wrote:
(01-16-2019, 04:59 AM)Pantherinae Wrote:
(01-16-2019, 04:50 AM)Shadow Wrote:
(01-16-2019, 04:49 AM)Pantherinae Wrote:
(01-16-2019, 04:43 AM)Shadow Wrote:
(01-16-2019, 04:37 AM)Pantherinae Wrote:
(01-16-2019, 04:27 AM)Spalea Wrote: @Pantherinae :

About #556: 255 kg ? This lion must be really big-sized, because it doesn't seem to be  fat at all.

He was big yes, somebody had a video of him being weighed on youtube. The animal park had a TV show in Norway, and had we had a competition between him and the tiger, to see who was heavier. And it was filmed. 
But he was weighed many times as part of training and to check opon his and the other lions, cheetahs and tigers condition

What tiger it was and how were those weights?

The tiger was a siberian tiger called Ulysses. 
I don’t remember the weight in the video, but he was between 200-112 kg.
Was Ulysses younger then?

No he was arround +/- 10 years old, in the time I worked there.

Ok, then he was just smaller individual.
He was average, I have seen bigger and smaller tigers. The male siberian tiger is Borås zoo in Sweeden weighed only 150 kg. That’s extreamly small for a siberian tiger, he looked like a female. And the one in Odense Zoo in Denmark is a monster!
1 user Likes Pantherinae's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(01-16-2019, 05:14 AM)Pantherinae Wrote:

About #556: 255 kg ? This lion must be really big-sized, because it doesn't seem to be  fat at all.

He was big yes, somebody had a video of him being weighed on youtube. The animal park had a TV show in Norway, and had we had a competition between him and the tiger, to see who was heavier. And it was filmed. 
But he was weighed many times as part of training and to check opon his and the other lions, cheetahs and tigers condition

He was average, I have seen bigger and smaller tigers. The male siberian tiger is Borås zoo in Sweeden weighed only 150 kg. That’s extreamly small for a siberian tiger, he looked like a female. And the one in Odense Zoo in Denmark is a monster!
Yes, I meant only that in that one comparison Ulysses was then smaller one. There is a video in freak specimens thread from grizzlyclaws about one huge siberian tiger. It was in every way bigger than the tiger it faced, but also looked already somewhat fat too. No idea about weight, but probably 300+ kg.
1 user Likes Shadow's post

chaos Offline
wildlife enthusiast

(01-16-2019, 05:18 AM)Shadow Wrote:

Yes, I meant only that in that one comparison Ulysses was then smaller one. There is a video in freak specimens thread from grizzlyclaws about one huge siberian tiger. It was in every way bigger than the tiger it faced, but also looked already somewhat fat too. No idea about weight, but probably 300+ kg.

Not for nothing, but why is this  discussion currently about  tiger size in a lion predation thread?

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(01-16-2019, 06:55 AM)chaos Wrote:
(01-16-2019, 05:18 AM)Shadow Wrote:

Not for nothing, but why is this  discussion currently about  tiger size in a lion predation thread?

Just short conversation, no big deal :) One thing leads to another sometimes.

United Kingdom Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

Yes ! I remember this lion and this video... OK, thanks !

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

Catch and release in lion style.... 

2 users Like Shadow's post

Wildanimal Lover

@Shadow 

About #575: just to test her abilities... But very spectacular !

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(01-20-2019, 01:03 AM)Spalea Wrote: @Shadow 

About #575: just to test her abilities... But very spectacular !

But that vulture... either it was so frightened, that it passed out or it remembered wrongly, that when meeting a lion it is best to pretend to be dead. Even though that concerns brown bears Grin But nevertheless he/she made it Wink
1 user Likes Shadow's post

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 01-21-2019, 05:18 PM by Pantherinae )

https://www.instagram.com/p/BsuQP0Whv6d/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=ga8x6ilzyybj
*This image is copyright of its original author
4 users Like Pantherinae's post

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

Our team at Kirawira Serena Camp in Western Serengeti, Tanzania were lucky to witness a battle between a lion and a crocodile at the shores of the Grumeti River which is home to enormous Nile crocodiles during a game drive. The river falls on the migration trail of the million migrating wildebeest with the crocodiles having a feast each time these animals migrate. 

They managed to capture the aftermath of the fight. Sadly, the crocodile lost the battle this time round and the story ended up being a situation of hunter becoming the hunted 

6 users Like Pantherinae's post

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

An absolutley phenomenal hunt by lions the strategy and the tremendous power from the lioness jumping straight at the zebra running in full speed. Lioness really are spectacular hunters. 

5 users Like Pantherinae's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(01-24-2019, 12:01 AM)Pantherinae Wrote: An absolutley phenomenal hunt by lions the strategy and the tremendous power from the lioness jumping straight at the zebra running in full speed. Lioness really are spectacular hunters. 

That was one crazy attack, as so often. This one is well known, but I think, that a good example about situation, where is combination of skill, strength and also luck. I mean that lion could easily been badly injured when landing if unlucky. That video is made as some music video, but whole situation is also there a few times. Crazy hunting :) Sometimes these animals look like insane.

3 users Like Shadow's post

Wildanimal Lover

@Shadow :

About #581: I knew this video I saw a long time ago, glad to see it again ! Of course as @Pantherinae said lions are able to be spectacular hunters, individually or in groups.

Moreover they know perfectly well the topography of their hunting ground which allows them to prepare their ambushs efficiently.
1 user Likes Spalea's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

Interesting footage.

3 users Like Shadow's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

Another one with a turtle getting eaten up.