There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 5 Vote(s) - 3.8 Average
Lion Predation

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(05-16-2020, 06:50 PM)Spalea Wrote:
(05-16-2020, 04:58 PM)Shadow Wrote:
(05-16-2020, 04:00 PM)Spalea Wrote: @Shadow , @Rage2277 @Asad981 . Yes but keep in mind it's much more difficult to bring down an one-ton buffalo that an one-ton elephant. The farmer is a full mature alpha bull, the latter a juvenile one. Thus if you want to remind the most amazing feats by a lone lion, the prey's weight isn't the only one factor to take into account.

And as concerns the weight, the most amazing feat by a lone lion I recently saw was this one: a male lion bringing down an adult giraffe weighing 1,2 - 1,5 ton... Post #822 of this topic.

*This image is copyright of its original author

My posting had nothing to do with buffalos. Anyway some very impressive hunts from lions what comes to elephants. Adult elephants are after all practically impossible to harm by any predator. But it´s interesting to see how old and big are still in danger if wandering around alone. Buffalos are then again another story as giraffes, all are naturally dangerous prey for obvious reasons.
I only told that the weight isn't the most significant criteria to consider a feat. Thus I am more amazed to see a lone lion killing one adult buffalo rather than a juvenile elephant which you refered to. A juvenile elephant is a hard prey to kill for anatomic reasons (thick skin...) but also a prey unable to defend by itself. By attacking a big buffalo or an adult giraffe a lone lion clearly risks its life. By hunting a juvenile elephant it only has to take its time.
But perhaps I was disturbing you by putting in perspective a lone lion killing a juvenile elephant. In this case, sorry saying that a little abruptly.

No disturbing really, I just wasn´t thinkin about buffalos. But what comes to juvenile elephants, as I wrote it´s interesting to look at those situations and see where limits are. After all a juvenile elephant  covers a lot of elephants in different ages and sizes and they can be very dangerous, they can after all kill any big cat instantly if able to stomp even once over it. You for sure remember articles about juvenile elephants killing rhinos, when there were no adult bulls in the area. I would bet, that no big cat wouldn´t dare to approach those juvenile male elephants because they were bad news. Only bigger adult bull elephant is able to get those "youngsters" in line.

United Kingdom Borya Offline

Male lion brings down a bull buffalo in a dangerous way

2 users Like Borya's post

United Kingdom Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

(05-16-2020, 07:31 PM)Shadow Wrote:
(05-16-2020, 06:50 PM)Spalea Wrote:
(05-16-2020, 04:58 PM)Shadow Wrote:
(05-16-2020, 04:00 PM)Spalea Wrote: @Shadow , @Rage2277 @Asad981 . Yes but keep in mind it's much more difficult to bring down an one-ton buffalo that an one-ton elephant. The farmer is a full mature alpha bull, the latter a juvenile one. Thus if you want to remind the most amazing feats by a lone lion, the prey's weight isn't the only one factor to take into account.

And as concerns the weight, the most amazing feat by a lone lion I recently saw was this one: a male lion bringing down an adult giraffe weighing 1,2 - 1,5 ton... Post #822 of this topic.

My posting had nothing to do with buffalos. Anyway some very impressive hunts from lions what comes to elephants. Adult elephants are after all practically impossible to harm by any predator. But it´s interesting to see how old and big are still in danger if wandering around alone. Buffalos are then again another story as giraffes, all are naturally dangerous prey for obvious reasons.
I only told that the weight isn't the most significant criteria to consider a feat. Thus I am more amazed to see a lone lion killing one adult buffalo rather than a juvenile elephant which you refered to. A juvenile elephant is a hard prey to kill for anatomic reasons (thick skin...) but also a prey unable to defend by itself. By attacking a big buffalo or an adult giraffe a lone lion clearly risks its life. By hunting a juvenile elephant it only has to take its time.
But perhaps I was disturbing you by putting in perspective a lone lion killing a juvenile elephant. In this case, sorry saying that a little abruptly.

No disturbing really, I just wasn´t thinkin about buffalos. But what comes to juvenile elephants, as I wrote it´s interesting to look at those situations and see where limits are. After all a juvenile elephant  covers a lot of elephants in different ages and sizes and they can be very dangerous, they can after all kill any big cat instantly if able to stomp even once over it. You for sure remember articles about juvenile elephants killing rhinos, when there were no adult bulls in the area. I would bet, that no big cat wouldn´t dare to approach those juvenile male elephants because they were bad news. Only bigger adult bull elephant is able to get those "youngsters" in line.
Yes, in this case, quite agree with you, these juvenile elephants were "teenager". And much more powerful than the juvenile ones about which I was thinking by reading your comments.

Brazil Dark Jaguar Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 05-18-2020, 11:00 PM by Dark Jaguar )

https://blog.nationalgeographic.org/image-sitemap-31.xml

3 users Like Dark Jaguar's post

LoveLions Offline
Banned

Gore warning

1 user Likes LoveLions's post

LoveLions Offline
Banned

Two young male lions attacking an adult buffalo

LoveLions Offline
Banned

Male lion kills a young elephant and then stands his ground against a full grown one

7 users Like LoveLions's post

LoveLions Offline
Banned

Male lion casually walks upto a wild dog pride, drives them off and kills the wildebeest (Btw that is my YT channel)

LoveLions Offline
Banned

Two young male lions kill an adult buffalo

Venezuela Cunaguaro Offline

(05-21-2020, 10:46 PM)LoveLions Wrote: Gore warning

"Dark Mane" Majingilane.
1 user Likes Cunaguaro's post

Virgin Islands, U.S. Rage2277 Offline
animal enthusiast

5 users Like Rage2277's post

United Kingdom Sully Offline
Ecology & Rewilding

Do Lions [i]Panthera leo[/i] Actively Select Prey or Do Prey Preferences Simply Reflect Chance Responses via Evolutionary Adaptations to Optimal Foraging?

Abstract

Research on coursing predators has revealed that actions throughout the predatory behavioral sequence (using encounter rate, hunting rate, and kill rate as proxy measures of decisions) drive observed prey preferences. We tested whether similar actions drive the observed prey preferences of a stalking predator, the African lion [i]Panthera leo[/i]. We conducted two 96 hour, continuous follows of lions in Addo Elephant National Park seasonally from December 2003 until November 2005 (16 follows), and compared prey encounter rate with prey abundance, hunt rate with prey encounter rate, and kill rate with prey hunt rate for the major prey species in Addo using Jacobs' electivity index. We found that lions encountered preferred prey species far more frequently than expected based on their abundance, and they hunted these species more frequently than expected based on this higher encounter rate. Lions responded variably to non-preferred and avoided prey species throughout the predatory sequence, although they hunted avoided prey far less frequently than expected based on the number of encounters of them. We conclude that actions of lions throughout the predatory behavioural sequence, but particularly early on, drive the prey preferences that have been documented for this species. Once a hunt is initiated, evolutionary adaptations to the predator-prey interactions drive hunting success

United Kingdom Sully Offline
Ecology & Rewilding

I think this may have been posted before but just incase

Fig. 1. Lion Panthera leo dietary preferences based on Jacobs’ index (mean±1 SE) of 48 lion populations at differing prey densities. Black bars, species taken significantly more frequently than expected based on their availability (preferred); grey bars, species taken in accordance with their relative abundance; unfilled bars, species taken significantly less frequently than expected based on their availability (avoided). Only species recorded in lion diet more than once are included

Prey preferences of the lion (Panthera leo)
1 user Likes Sully's post

Malaysia johnny rex Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast

(06-01-2020, 08:37 AM)Sully Wrote: I think this may have been posted before but just incase

Fig. 1. Lion Panthera leo dietary preferences based on Jacobs’ index (mean±1 SE) of 48 lion populations at differing prey densities. Black bars, species taken significantly more frequently than expected based on their availability (preferred); grey bars, species taken in accordance with their relative abundance; unfilled bars, species taken significantly less frequently than expected based on their availability (avoided). Only species recorded in lion diet more than once are included

Prey preferences of the lion (Panthera leo)

Looks like rhinos are the most dangerous prey and maybe the most difficult to take down for lions.
2 users Like johnny rex's post

United Kingdom Ingonyama6 Offline
( This post was last modified: 06-08-2020, 04:25 PM by Rishi )

Lions have killed an adult African bull elephant on record. Please note that this was not the Savuti bull, it happened in 1938

1 user Likes Ingonyama6's post