There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 5 Vote(s) - 3.8 Average
Lion Predation

Guatemala GuateGojira Offline
Expert & Researcher

(04-27-2020, 12:19 PM)johnny rex Wrote: Impressive feats. So in conclusion the biggest prey that a male lion or tiger can kill singlehandedly is around 900-1000kg. Those young elephants I estimated are around 1000 kg and a little bit more. Looks like a very large prey is killed through hamstringing (targeting the legs) such as in the case where the lone lioness took down a bull eland.

Yes my friend, that is exactly what I tried to show in the other topic. Tigers and lions are fully capable of killing animals 5 times they own size. And although big antelopes and girafes are large, I think that the great bovids are the largest and most powerfull prey that a great cat can kill.

Hamstring seems to be the preferal method to kill those animals, but we must not forget that the few videos of lions with big buffaloes shows that they go straight to the nose or the neck and the gaurs killed by tigers were found with bites in the neck and nose too. However, hamstring seems to be a good method to kill the giant bovids. After all, is the same method used by wolves when they kill the bison in North America.
2 users Like GuateGojira's post

Guatemala GuateGojira Offline
Expert & Researcher
( This post was last modified: 04-28-2020, 11:13 PM by GuateGojira )

(04-27-2020, 04:16 AM)Styx38 Wrote: Lion kills Bull Eland after latching on for  a long time:

*This image is copyright of its original author

Eventually, Lioness pulls down Eland after latching on for a while

Eland is still alive.

Lioness is tired after killing or incapacitating the Eland bull. 

Originally, screenshots are from this video, but this was posted in Quora and some forums:

@GuateGojira

Here is a lone Lion (female) taking down a Bull Eland.

I was checking the video again and this bull was killed in Schotia South Africa, so this eland is especifically the Cape eland (Taurotragus oryx orix). According with José R. Castelló in his book "BOVIDS OF THE WORLD" of 2016, the Cape eland is about the smallest of the species, with males weighing up to 700 kg maximum. Thouless (2013; in Kingdon & Hoffmann (2013) Vol VI) quotes Skinner (1967) that gave the mean mass of 19 mature bulls from bushveld areas as 650 kg (range 425–840). Also Wilson (1969) gave the mean mass of five mature bulls as 604 kg (range 530–690), and ten females had a mean weight of 445 kg (range 385–470). Finally wild Common Elands from the KwaZulu–Natal Drakensberg are lighter, with mean adult masses of 453 kg (n=17) for males and 305 kg (n=61) for females (Scotcher 1982; and see Keep 1972).

So, the biggest population of this particular subspecies are those from the bushveld area, but that is too north for the specimen in the video, while those of the KwaZulu–Natal are closer, but still far away. It will be interesting to see if Wilson (1969) provide an specific location for his records as Thouless do not quote it. This means that the eland in the video is not even close to the 900 kg that we previously believed and probably weighed between 700 or maybe up to 800 kg, lower than the giant elands of East Africa, but still a great feat for a lioness.

This means that the record for the biggest prey that a lion can kill single handle is still with the African buffalo (excluding the exceptional cases of the giraffes and young elephants, of course) with a maximum weight of 900 kg recorded in the Willem Pretorius Game Reserve.

United States Styx38 Offline
Banned
( This post was last modified: 05-01-2020, 11:11 PM by Styx38 )

(04-28-2020, 11:12 PM)GuateGojira Wrote:
(04-27-2020, 04:16 AM)Styx38 Wrote: Lion kills Bull Eland after latching on for  a long time:

Eventually, Lioness pulls down Eland after latching on for a while

Eland is still alive.

Lioness is tired after killing or incapacitating the Eland bull. 

Originally, screenshots are from this video, but this was posted in Quora and some forums:

@GuateGojira

Here is a lone Lion (female) taking down a Bull Eland.

I was checking the video again and this bull was killed in Schotia South Africa, so this eland is especifically the Cape eland (Taurotragus oryx orix). According with José R. Castelló in his book "BOVIDS OF THE WORLD" of 2016, the Cape eland is about the smallest of the species, with males weighing up to 700 kg maximum. Thouless (2013; in Kingdon & Hoffmann (2013) Vol VI) quotes Skinner (1967) that gave the mean mass of 19 mature bulls from bushveld areas as 650 kg (range 425–840). Also Wilson (1969) gave the mean mass of five mature bulls as 604 kg (range 530–690), and ten females had a mean weight of 445 kg (range 385–470). Finally wild Common Elands from the KwaZulu–Natal Drakensberg are lighter, with mean adult masses of 453 kg (n=17) for males and 305 kg (n=61) for females (Scotcher 1982; and see Keep 1972).

So, the biggest population of this particular subspecies are those from the bushveld area, but that is too north for the specimen in the video, while those of the KwaZulu–Natal are closer, but still far away. It will be interesting to see if Wilson (1969) provide an specific location for his records as Thouless do not quote it. This means that the eland in the video is not even close to the 900 kg that we previously believed and probably weighed between 700 or maybe up to 800 kg, lower than the giant elands of East Africa, but still a great feat for a lioness.

This means that the record for the biggest prey that a lion can kill single handle is still with the African buffalo (excluding the exceptional cases of the giraffes and young elephants, of course) with a maximum weight of 900 kg recorded in the Willem Pretorius Game Reserve.

I just want to point out that the Elands in the Drakensberg Mountains are likely smaller due to poor nutrition.

"Eland  are much smaller in the Drakensberg Mountains  of KwaZulu-Natal where the males only reach a maximum mass of 500 kg.  The difference in size could be due to a lower quality of nutrition although genetic factors may have an influence."

https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... aphus_oryx

Apart from that, you are right. Not to mention that the Lioness held on to the leg for a long time during the hamstringing. This indicates the Eland is way above 600 kg, possibly 700-800 kg as you stated.

Also, there are a handful of 900 + kg Bulls here:

"Adult Cape eland females have an average weight of between 400 and 460 kg (maximum 560 kg) and a mean shoulder height of 150 cm, compared to adult males weighing in at 650-940 kg and a shoulder height of 160-180 cm.  Adult males are generally 30-35% heavier than females and are easily recognisable at a distance.  The forequarters of the body are notably larger and heavier than the hind and as a result, the front feet are larger. "

The large Cape Eland Bulls might have been taken from some hunting records.

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

Lone lion predation on sub-adult elephant

The video, filmed on May 18, shows the male lion chewing on the wounded elephant, which appears to be still alive.

According to the filmer, the footage was taken shortly after the big cat pounced on the elephant's back and brought it down.

"I tracked the male lion early one morning," the filmer wrote online.

"He eventually came to an open pan in the bush and charged at the elephant."

"The elephant ran off into the bush, but the lion pounced on its back," he continued.

"The elephant soon lost balance, which allowed the lion to asphyxiate it.

"It took 90 minutes to kill the elephant [and] the lion started to eat it alive."

https://www.newsflare.com/video/126346/animals/lion-caught-on-camera-killing-an-elephant
2 users Like Balam's post

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

Single male lion seen by expert Joubert knocks over 6 year old elephant on its own. 

In natural history films, lionesses are usually portrayed as the hunters of the pride, while male lions mope around under shady trees. But males are no layabouts – they’re effective killers in their own right, particularly when they target larger prey like elephants and buffalo. Aside from humans, lions are the only predators powerful enough to kill an elephant. The males, being 50% heavier than the females, are especially suited to the task. It typically takes seven lionesses to kill an elephant, but just two males could do the same.
Even a single male can overpower a young elephant. Between 1994 and 1997, Dereck Joubert found that the lions of Botswana’s Chobe National Park were getting better and better at hunting elephants. He wrote: “In one notable case, a single male lion ran at nearly full speed into the side of a 6-year-old male calf with sufficient force to collapse the elephant on its side.”
Male lions clearly pose a great threat, and older elephants know it. Karen McComb from the University of Sussex has found that older matriarchs – the females who lead elephant herds – are more aware of the threat posed by male lions. If they hear recordings of male roars, they’re more likely to usher their herd into a defensive formation.

https://www.discovermagazine.com/planet-earth/older-elephants-know-the-best-anti-lion-moves#.Vr6yHObm3IU
3 users Like Balam's post

United Kingdom Asad981 Offline

Extremely impressive lion predation account. A single lion attacked an aggressive and protective black rhino cow with a calf. The lion mauled the rhino very badly and killed her calf. There were horrendous lacerations and savage wounds on the breast and scratch wounds on the flanks. Rhino was rescued and treated but the wounds and the loss of her calf was too much and died.

"In February 2002 at Lake Nakuru National Park, Kenya, a rhino calf was killed by a lion despite the mother putting up a considerable fight. This was exemplified by savage wounds on the shoulder and breast of the rhino and scratch marks on the flanks. The mother, Suzie, was considerably distressed by the incident. Despite the wounds being treated, it died a few months later."

http://www.rhinoresourcecenter.com/pdf_files/134/1340865404.pdf

*Note this account is from a modern scientific journal so it is completely reliable.
5 users Like Asad981's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

This is a bit older incident, but it shows lions attacking a 5 years old elephant. I find this clip intereting because it shows  quite good the size difference.

3 users Like Shadow's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(04-27-2020, 02:02 AM)GuateGojira Wrote:
(04-25-2020, 03:26 PM)TigrisLeo504 Wrote: Anyway here is a very impressive lion predation account

Account from Mark C Ross's book, Predator Life and Death in the African Bush

Mark C Ross

A single male lion killed young elephant. Ross estimated this elephant to be 2 tons. Even if it wasnt 2 tons it is definately closed to it

"This male killed this elephant entirely on its own, an impressive and extremely rare feat of daring. It will be difficult for him to break into the tough hide, however. In almost all encounters between elephants and lions, lions will walk the other way"

https://archive.org/details/predatorlifedeat0000ross/page/144/mode/2up

If the estimation of Mr Ross is correct, and that elephant weighed about 2 tons, this is the heaviest prey hunted by a wild cat on record that we actually have a first hand report and a picture! We have records of rhinos hunted by tigers, but as far I know, none of them weighed 2 tons (the weight of an adult) or hunted in "single combat".

I will like to see the opinion of other posters about this event.

That 2 tons can be quite close to real figure, 5 years old elephant can be relatively big. This has to be rare as author states too, but if getting an young elephant to fall like on the photo, after it anything is possible. This lion deserves respect, even trying to do that is impressive and succeeding alone is extraordinary.

Virgin Islands, U.S. Rage2277 Offline
animal enthusiast

(05-11-2020, 03:03 PM)Shadow Wrote: This is a bit older incident, but it shows lions attacking a 5 years old elephant. I find this clip intereting because it shows  quite good the size difference.

the elephant being chased in the beginning is much bigger than the one the lionesses were on top of and it's tusks are much longer
1 user Likes Rage2277's post

Virgin Islands, U.S. Rage2277 Offline
animal enthusiast

zebra are so badass shocked..great defense by moms..lioness was a little dazed from that kick
2 users Like Rage2277's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 05-16-2020, 02:46 PM by Shadow )

(05-16-2020, 06:16 AM)Rage2277 Wrote:
(05-11-2020, 03:03 PM)Shadow Wrote: This is a bit older incident, but it shows lions attacking a 5 years old elephant. I find this clip intereting because it shows  quite good the size difference.

the elephant being chased in the beginning is much bigger than the one the lionesses were on top of and it's tusks are much longer

True, now when you said it, easy to notice. That isn´t a small elephant on the ground either, but obviously not the same elephant as in the beginning. Then again lion prides have killed also bigger elephants than either of these two. But when trying to figure out the size of 5 years old elephant this video wasn´t as good example as I first thought.

It´s a bit difficult with elephants to find good information concerning growth rates. When I tried to look closer, a five years old might be closer to one ton and when closer to 10 years old, then 2 tons. There is that one study from South Africa, which gives 2 tons for 40 years old elephants, but that is more like female weight, males in that age can be 4-5 tons even in South Africa I think, because in some documentaries South African elephants aren´t looking like some "mini elephants" only half in size in comparison to other elephant populations.

United Kingdom Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

@Shadow , @Rage2277 @Asad981 . Yes but keep in mind it's much more difficult to bring down an one-ton buffalo that an one-ton elephant. The farmer is a full mature alpha bull, the latter a juvenile one. Thus if you want to remind the most amazing feats by a lone lion, the prey's weight isn't the only one factor to take into account.

And as concerns the weight, the most amazing feat by a lone lion I recently saw was this one: a male lion bringing down an adult giraffe weighing 1,2 - 1,5 ton... Post #822 of this topic.

2 users Like Spalea's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(05-16-2020, 04:00 PM)Spalea Wrote: @Shadow , @Rage2277 @Asad981 . Yes but keep in mind it's much more difficult to bring down an one-ton buffalo that an one-ton elephant. The farmer is a full mature alpha bull, the latter a juvenile one. Thus if you want to remind the most amazing feats by a lone lion, the prey's weight isn't the only one factor to take into account.

And as concerns the weight, the most amazing feat by a lone lion I recently saw was this one: a male lion bringing down an adult giraffe weighing 1,2 - 1,5 ton... Post #822 of this topic.

My posting had nothing to do with buffalos. Anyway some very impressive hunts from lions what comes to elephants. Adult elephants are after all practically impossible to harm by any predator. But it´s interesting to see how old and big are still in danger if wandering around alone. Buffalos are then again another story as giraffes, all are naturally dangerous prey for obvious reasons.

United Kingdom Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

(05-16-2020, 04:58 PM)Shadow Wrote:
(05-16-2020, 04:00 PM)Spalea Wrote: @Shadow , @Rage2277 @Asad981 . Yes but keep in mind it's much more difficult to bring down an one-ton buffalo that an one-ton elephant. The farmer is a full mature alpha bull, the latter a juvenile one. Thus if you want to remind the most amazing feats by a lone lion, the prey's weight isn't the only one factor to take into account.

My posting had nothing to do with buffalos. Anyway some very impressive hunts from lions what comes to elephants. Adult elephants are after all practically impossible to harm by any predator. But it´s interesting to see how old and big are still in danger if wandering around alone. Buffalos are then again another story as giraffes, all are naturally dangerous prey for obvious reasons.
I only told that the weight isn't the most significant criteria to consider a feat. Thus I am more amazed to see a lone lion killing one adult buffalo rather than a juvenile elephant which you refered to. A juvenile elephant is a hard prey to kill for anatomic reasons (thick skin...) but also a prey unable to defend by itself. By attacking a big buffalo or an adult giraffe a lone lion clearly risks its life. By hunting a juvenile elephant it only has to take its time.
But perhaps I was disturbing you by putting in perspective a lone lion killing a juvenile elephant. In this case, sorry saying that a little abruptly.

United Kingdom Borya Offline

(05-16-2020, 06:50 PM)Spalea Wrote:
(05-16-2020, 04:58 PM)Shadow Wrote:

I only told that the weight isn't the most significant criteria to consider a feat. Thus I am more amazed to see a lone lion killing one adult buffalo rather than a juvenile elephant which you refered to. A juvenile elephant is a hard prey to kill for anatomic reasons (thick skin...) but also a prey unable to defend by itself. By attacking a big buffalo or an adult giraffe a lone lion clearly risks its life. By hunting a juvenile elephant it only has to take its time.
But perhaps I was disturbing you by putting in perspective a lone lion killing a juvenile elephant. In this case, sorry saying that a little abruptly.

Actually for lions being social, a single male killing a large young African elephant is pretty impressive (atleast I find them). Look here 14 grown lionesses could not pull it off. The calf is not even that big yet the lionesses could not kill it. A single male can (rarely) do the same thing. 

1 user Likes Borya's post