There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 6 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Lion Directory

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

Rowland Ward weighed a 203cm (head body length) @ 234kg
(no chest girth)
Shoulder height at 106.7cm

That is the largest weighed with a body length given from the list I found.

Here is a lion with a larger chest girth and it only weighed 380lbs
He was 188cm though, but not that much shorter than the lion above and with a larger chest girth. 

http://www.google.com/search?q=lion+weig...B667%3B495

Ill find more tomorrow to compare.

Bigcat Enthusiast

The largest lion from kenya I saw was (Smuts)
106.68 (shoulder height) with a length of 274 cm total
and a body weight of 418lbs or 189 kg. There is also another lion that weighed 421lbs or 190kg but his shoulder height was a 1inch shorter and length was about  5-6'''s shorter. So probably a stockier lion than the other, but could of just had a shorter tail.
https://www.google.com/search?q=lion+mea...B800%3B600

No chest girth given to match to the others, but seems to be comparable.
Its hard to tell a lions weight, these are all similiarly sized but 240kg seems a little high for a weight, 260kg I doubt is possible with those measurements.
I would venture to say they estimated the weight of the 260kg lion, does anybody have any other info on it?

United States tigerluver Offline
Prehistoric Feline Expert
Moderators

Isn't the 260 kg lion the "Etosha Male"? Last I heard was stated he weighed 260 kg gorged, and it was estimated he had 20 kg of stomach content, but don't take my word for it.

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

'tigerluver dateline='' Wrote: Isn't the 260 kg lion the "Etosha Male"? Last I heard was stated he weighed 260 kg gorged, and it was estimated he had 20 kg of stomach content, but don't take my word for it.

You are correct

Bigcat Enthusiast

Thats what I'm comparing it to. The weight is most likely a estimate and same with the gorge amount. Most scales don't go past 200kg or 250kg so if it was measured, it was probably estimated.
Using other lions with similar measurements, It seems that most are much smaller than the weight given. Which is why I was curious if anybody knows if it was actually weighed or not.

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

'Pckts dateline='' Wrote: Thats what I'm comparing it to. The weight is most likely a estimate and same with the gorge amount. Most scales don't go past 200kg or 250kg so if it was measured, it was probably estimated.
Using other lions with similar measurements, It seems that most are much smaller than the weight given. Which is why I was curious if anybody knows if it was actually weighed or not.

I would assume it was since he has done all mesurements, and says weight, not estimated weight! 
But I'm not sure can send him an e-mail and Ask about it if i can find it. 

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

Forget it he's dead..

Bigcat Enthusiast

I can't even find any information on him at all, no weights of any lions taken.
Do you have any?

Measurements are much easier to take than weight. Scales must be used by multiple people, big animals must be arranged correctly, etc.
Its easy for a couple of people to take measurements and use them for estimates, which Im sure is the case here.
Also, the large drop in weight from all other lions, especially those with very similar measuremetns and even larger measurements at times is another reason why this is most likely estimated.

Since this animal was most likely baited as well, lions and tigers can eat up to 40kg in a sitting, its possible that the lion could be in the 220-230kg range as well. Which would match up nicely with Wardens 234kg lion. And his lion was actually slightly taller at the shoulder and longer in head and body. So it would most likely be a heavier speciman. I think his lions were baited as well, but gaute would know that for sure.

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

'Pckts dateline='' Wrote: I can't even find any information on him at all, no weights of any lions taken.
Do you have any?

Measurements are much easier to take than weight. Scales must be used by multiple people, big animals must be arranged correctly, etc.
Its easy for a couple of people to take measurements and use them for estimates, which Im sure is the case here.
Also, the large drop in weight from all other lions, especially those with very similar measuremetns and even larger measurements at times is another reason why this is most likely estimated.

Since this animal was most likely baited as well, lions and tigers can eat up to 40kg in a sitting, its possible that the lion could be in the 220-230kg range as well. Which would match up nicely with Wardens 234kg lion. And his lion was actually slightly taller at the shoulder and longer in head and body. So it would most likely be a heavier speciman. I think his lions were baited as well, but gaute would know that for sure.

I don't have anything on him! 

Ask Gaute if someone has something it's him. 

Yeah I don't think it was baited I think I read that once, but not sure on that at all.. 
Well most people would have wrote estimated weight if it was an estimate... But Again not sure! 
Let's hope Gaute has The answer! 

Bigcat Enthusiast

Ya, I saw Gaute respond about this on a old Ava thread. Hopefully he still recalls.

Guatemala GuateGojira Offline
Expert & Researcher
( This post was last modified: 08-13-2014, 09:59 AM by GuateGojira )

Hello guys, in fact, the weight of 260 kg (gorged) is reliable and real.

Here is the email from the late Dr Hu Berry and some fragments of the document where this weight was published:

*This image is copyright of its original author

As we can see, this lion was actually weighed and marked the 260 kg. However, he included an estimated stomach content of at least 20 kg, which means a net weight of 240 kg.

It seems that body size is not directly related with body weight in lions or tigers. Very large males have been hunted that are larger than the Etosha male, but weighed much less. The same happen with tigers. The simple explanation is that, like humans, there are long but light specimens, and short but heavy specimens.

3 users Like GuateGojira's post

Australia Richardrli Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast

It says "up to 20kg" meaning the real contents was likely less, I'd say 240kg is the minimum.

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

@GuateGojira 

amazing information thanks again! 

It's absolutley true it's almost impossible to estimate The weight on an animal. 

United States tigerluver Offline
Prehistoric Feline Expert
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 08-13-2014, 06:42 PM by tigerluver )

Body weight and length are directly correlated, but the correlation is extremely weak in lions for some reason. Tigers have a strong correlation of r^2 = >.75, but the lions I have on record around 0.30, abysmal.  

My main guess to why this occurs in lions and not tigers is food intake at the time of weighing. Tigers are normally consistently baited, where lions it looks are found with either a empty enough stomach (I say "enough" as rarely one will find a truly empty belly animal, so it seems most calculate food intake conservatively to keep things even between gorged and regularly full specimens) or gorged off a recent kill, causing inconsistencies. What do you guys think?

United States Siegfried Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast

(08-13-2014, 02:30 PM)Pantherinae Wrote: @GuateGojira 

amazing information thanks again! 

It's absolutley true it's almost impossible to estimate The weight on an animal. 

Agreed.  These claims of giant cats backed by mere estimates should be met with a degree of skepticism until proven by measuring or weighing. 

An "average" adult lion or tiger will be a giant cat. 

Data people... data!!!
1 user Likes Siegfried's post