There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 6 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Lion Directory

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

Yeah i was just showing the maximum male! 

But thanks for the 245 kg lion Gaute! There is also one 272 kg one from mount Kenya, but he is not adjusted! 

Guatemala GuateGojira Offline
Expert & Researcher
( This post was last modified: 07-31-2014, 09:27 PM by GuateGojira )

Not only not-adjusted, but also unconfirmed. Two other persons contacted Richard Kock and he give two different answers (one saying that it was possible true, and other saying that he has no idea of the record), however, in both communications he clearly stated that he don't even remember the record, so it is unclear where Nowell & Jackson (1996) get that figure. It is interesting that this is not the only mistake in that book, they also quoted some leopard records incorrectly.

Even worst, the Kenya Wildlife Service, which is the one that keep the records in the country, confirmed that the heaviest male lion in they records was a male of 230 kg hunted in the Aberdares NP, and this is confirmed by Dr Bruce Patterson in his book "The Tsavo Lions" (2003).

Are lions up to 272 kg in hunting records? Yes, but certainly there is no such thing as a 600 lb male in Kenya, and even less in scientific records.

1 user Likes GuateGojira's post

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

'GuateGojira dateline='' Wrote: Not only not-adjusted, but also unconfirmed. Two other persons contacted Richard Kock and he give two different answers (one saying that it was possible true, and other saying that he has no idea of the record), however, in both communications he clearly stated that he don't even remember the record, so it is unclear where Nowell & Jackson (1996) get that figure. It is interesting that this is not the only mistake in that book, they also quoted some leopard records incorrectly.

Even worst, the Kenya Wildlife Service, which is the one that keep the records in the country, confirmed that the heaviest male lion in they records was a male of 230 kg hunted in the Aberdares NP, and this is confirmed by Dr Bruce Patterson in his book "The Tsavo Lions" (2003).

Are lions up to 272 kg in hunting records? Yes, but certainly there is no such thing as a 600 lb male in Kenya, and even less in scientific records.

It's true what you are saying hunting records are IMO not always smart to belive! I have heard that myself that the heaviest lion in Kenya is 230 kg. But there was one lion weighed 280 kg scaled down to 553 kg and one other lion who was weighed 260 with about 20 kg of stomack content. so scaled down to 240 kg. Those looks quite reliable aswell! 

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(07-31-2014, 10:33 AM)'Pantherinae' Wrote:
Quote:
*This image is copyright of its original author
'Pckts' pid='3690' dateline='1406748165'
Just shows the importance of not only a dominate coalition but a dominate member of the coalition.
If the position is up for grabs it seems that other members wont hesitate to kill off "rivals" cubs even from the same coalition.

It also shows the importance of having not too many members because of the jealously that happens when some are not allowed to mate with the females.
I wonder what is the largest coalition size to date?

I know a very large coalition called the skybed. It had 9 members at one point don't know how many there's left now! Here's 8 of them 

Imagine the coalition sizes in prehistoric times. 
10-15 big males strolling down the plains. 
TFS

Expert & Researcher
( This post was last modified: 08-01-2014, 11:23 AM by GuateGojira )

(07-31-2014, 09:36 PM)'Pantherinae' Wrote:
'GuateGojira dateline='' Wrote: Not only not-adjusted, but also unconfirmed. Two other persons contacted Richard Kock and he give two different answers (one saying that it was possible true, and other saying that he has no idea of the record), however, in both communications he clearly stated that he don't even remember the record, so it is unclear where Nowell & Jackson (1996) get that figure. It is interesting that this is not the only mistake in that book, they also quoted some leopard records incorrectly.

It's true what you are saying hunting records are IMO not always smart to belive! I have heard that myself that the heaviest lion in Kenya is 230 kg. But there was one lion weighed 280 kg scaled down to 553 kg and one other lion who was weighed 260 with about 20 kg of stomack content. so scaled down to 240 kg. Those looks quite reliable aswell! 

You are correct. There is a South African lion that weighed 280 kg full of beef, so its estimated weight empty was of c.250 kg, discarding about 30 kg of beef at it. The other record is a male from Etosha NP, which weighed 260 kg, but Dr Hu Berry said that it had at least 20 kg of beef, so he estimated its weight at c.240 kg empty.

So, these two scientific records of 250 kg and 240 kg empty belly are real and reliable for the lion side, but take in count that both are from Southern Africa. This suggest that this lion population reach larger sizes than those of East Africa.

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

The biggest lions are said to be the Lions at the duba plains! They live on an a separated island in the  Okavango delta! They almost always eat buffalo's and can kill several buffalos in one hunt! But they mainly target young and cows 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...sland.html 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0XMT_XRAULc 

3 users Like Pantherinae's post

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

Hi @GauteGojira here are some pictures they look very big aswell impressive lions no doubt! 
5 users Like Pantherinae's post

Expert & Researcher
( This post was last modified: 08-01-2014, 12:31 PM by GuateGojira )

Okavango lions are a legend, they are the equivalent of the Kaziranga tigers in the lion world. They look large, powerful, but like the striped cats in India, they had not been weighed or measured, just a sight estimation from the Joubert.

I still remember those statements that say that females were as large as males on mainland, but this phrase most be taken with careful, as a mainland adult male lion can weight from 145 to 225 kg, so, where is the point of comparison here? I think that the correct statement should be that the largest lionesses of the area were as large as the medium sized males from mainland, which average about c.170 kg in East Africa, for example. This seems to be more accurate.

By the way, are those lions of Duba still alive? I remember that they were at the verge of extinction, because they have not succeeded in raising a single cub, because one of the females killed all the cubs every time. Am I correct with this last thing, or I forgot something?

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

@GuateGojira 

yeah I have seen he said almost the same size as mainland males (but you know british press as this was, always does things like that) Also the two Xakanaxa male lions are said to be absolouty massive atleast framed! I could not find the source tho! 

But yes they are living well that with silver eye was years ago when she was in the skimmer pride she now lives in a massive pride called the Tsaro pride both prides ruled by a dominat male, all have cubs and due to the extreme food base they are growing very fast compared to lions elswhere in Africa! 

Expert & Researcher

Oh, interesting information about the Tsaro pride. Those are good news, as it seems that the giant lions are still alive and with a good future. [img]images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

United States GrizzlyClaws Offline
Canine Expert
Moderators

Are these lions genetically East African?

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

Very big lion from The Okavango delta! Looks young aswell. 
Impressive shoulder hight aswell I know it's over The curves but still WoW! 

6 users Like Pantherinae's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

Nice info, how do his measurements match up to other lions?
240kg seems like a very high estimate for that lion, I would like to compare to others and see if their weight match's up.

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

Quote:
'Pckts' pid='3896' dateline='1407703848'
Nice info, how do his measurements match up to other lions?
240kg seems like a very high estimate for that lion, I would like to compare to others and see if their weight match's up.

I don't have anymore mesurements from This researtch team, but these estimates of 240 seems quite okey for me, like he has just smaller chest girth than this lion who had eaten 20 kg, but mesured tallet and longer 

Bigcat Enthusiast

Are we sure that lion was weighed or estimated?
Can we see the other lions Hu Berry has weighed, if anybody knows where they are?
Ill have to do some research on lion weights and sizes tomorrow, I would like to compare to more than 1. 
Thanks for this though.