There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 6 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Lion Directory

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

'sanjay dateline='' Wrote: Koning male, What a massive lion! TFS . Great work guys. Seems that this forum is getting good data of african lion now.

Yeah he is massive, when he is 1 meter away from the safari jeep youre in, he is even more massive! 

Norway Jubatus Offline

Selati Coalition

*This image is copyright of its original author

Southern/Selati males were born during the end of 2007 and the beginning of 2008 in different litters . They were part of Southern pride , one of the biggest and powerful prides of Sabi Sands . They are the sons of Golf Course males and nephews of Rollercoaster males .They were initially 5 strong males when they met some old male lions…These males, however, were going to becoming a force to be reckoned with as they became expert buffalo hunters…the Southern Pride males formed a coalition that was even going to rival the Mapogos someday!

And they did fight the Mapogos, in 2012 they succeded in killing the mighty Mr.T/SaTan Mapogo, and was thereby the new rulers of the southern part of the Mapogo Territory, the rest of the Mapogo territory is ruled by the Majingilane coalition, and there has been, and is today continuos clashes between Selati and Majingilane, as you can see below some of the clashes have become fatal

There were originally 5 lions in this coalition, but there is only two now. Selati #4 and Selati #1, these are the reason the other three have died:
Selati #5 was killed by the Majigilane Lions in 2011
Selati #2 died because injuries caused by a Cape Buffalo
Selati#3 was also seen in a fight with the Majingilane coalition earlier this year, he wasen`t killed in battle, but died later on of the injuries he sustained.
1 user Likes Jubatus's post

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

Great Information about this clash of titans [img]images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Norway Jubatus Offline

MATIMBA COALITION

As far as details of these Matimba Males goes I am still a little bit in the dark. I have been told that there are 6 of them; all roughly the same age with the oldest male ‘Ndhuna’ believed to be around 6 years of age. They entered the Manyeleti area, presumably from the Kruger National Park, around October 2010. The other names I`m not quite sure of...

The Matimbas have been in several fights with other male and female lions and it was reported a while ago that they killed a young female lion and ate her. 

It has been some time since all six was sighted together, last sighting of them was earlier this year, then it was only two of them.

1 user Likes Jubatus's post

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 06-28-2014, 01:29 AM by Pantherinae )

Name: Aslan 

The lioness said I should write about him so Here we go. 

Aslan is an animal that I'm so lucky to work with. He is now 10 years. He is a massive boy, and his father was found alone out in the bush area in Kenya his mother was probably shoot by trophy hunters. His father came to a danish lion park, and he became the dominant male, he the soon started mating with many lionesses, and had many cubs and one of those where Aslan and his step brother Aragon. When they where two years they both came to Kristiansand animal park along with two females. 

They soon became fathers themself and got in total 6 cubs. Aslan as the dominante male was probably the father of all cubs, esspecially the big females cubs reminded us quickly about their fathers personanlity. The cubs of the big lioness is now huge aswell and are all females. They was so aggressive that the small female and her cubs was being pushed out of the group and when Aslan and his brother also turned on the female she had big problems. They beat her up so badly that they sadly had to put her down. 
Luckily the cubs where old enought to survive without their mom. 

Aslan is very famous in Norway and do have big crowds at his feedings all year round! He also has his own bread in Norway. 

4 users Like Pantherinae's post

United States TheLioness Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

He is so beautiful. I love how his mane goes under his belly. I love the information, I believe it shouldn't matter if the animal is wild or not, to have the story of their lives on here.

Awesome to know his parents were wild.

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 06-28-2014, 01:33 AM by Pantherinae )

'TheLioness dateline='' Wrote: He is so beautiful. I love how his mane goes under his belly. I love the information, I believe it shouldn't matter if the animal is wild or not, to have the story of their lives on here.

Yeah i agree! Thanks for Nice comments! And yes he is a beautiful lion

United States GrizzlyClaws Offline
Canine Expert
Moderators

(06-28-2014, 01:27 AM)'TheLioness' Wrote: He is so beautiful. I love how his mane goes under his belly. I love the information, I believe it shouldn't matter if the animal is wild or not, to have the story of their lives on here.

So your favorite type of lion is the Barbary-like one?

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

I don't think you should use captive lions for this thread imo.
You will muddy the thread, I think these should focus on the wild cats and their life history.
May be a "captive big cat ID thread" but I can only speak for my self, but I am interested in wild cats, and their relationship. I consider captive cats as a product of human interference and not a true wild panthera.
1 user Likes Pckts's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(06-28-2014, 02:10 AM)'GrizzlyClaws' Wrote:
(06-28-2014, 01:27 AM)'TheLioness' Wrote: He is so beautiful. I love how his mane goes under his belly. I love the information, I believe it shouldn't matter if the animal is wild or not, to have the story of their lives on here.

We do know that lions grow larger manes, belly manes etc, in colder climate and captivity. So it doesn't have to be a "barbary like lion'' to have the belly mane.

1 user Likes Pckts's post

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

'Pckts dateline='' Wrote: I don't think you should use captive lions for this thread imo.
You will muddy the thread, I think these should focus on the wild cats and their life history.
May be a "captive big cat ID thread" but I can only speak for my self, but I am interested in wild cats, and their relationship. I consider captive cats as a product of human interference and not a true wild panthera.

Actually i agree with you! I'm also intersted in the wild cats, and their wild interesting life, and fight to survive! Last captive animal from me. 

United States TheLioness Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

I agree too, needing their own threads, however even having human enterference, they are still unpradictable and vry unique animals, even though they are not wild, they still have the same instincts in them.

United States GrizzlyClaws Offline
Canine Expert
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 06-28-2014, 03:51 AM by GrizzlyClaws )

(06-28-2014, 02:29 AM)'Pckts' Wrote:
(06-28-2014, 02:10 AM)'GrizzlyClaws' Wrote:

We do know that lions grow larger manes, belly manes etc, in colder climate and captivity. So it doesn't have to be a "barbary like lion'' to have the belly mane.

Yeah, i mean the common stereotype for the Barbary lion, not necessarily the Barbary lion itself.

Guatemala GuateGojira Offline
Expert & Researcher
( This post was last modified: 06-28-2014, 10:51 AM by GuateGojira )

(06-28-2014, 01:19 AM)'Pantherinae' Wrote:

Name: Aslan 

The lioness said I should write about him so Here we go. 

Aslan is an animal that I'm so lucky to work with. He is now 10 years. He is a massive boy, and his father was found alone out in the bush area in Kenya his mother was probably shoot by trophy hunters. His father came to a danish lion park, and he became the dominant male, he the soon started mating with many lionesses, and had many cubs and one of those where Aslan and his step brother Aragon. When they where two years they both came to Kristiansand animal park along with two females. 

They soon became fathers themself and got in total 6 cubs. Aslan as the dominante male was probably the father of all cubs, esspecially the big females cubs reminded us quickly about their fathers personanlity. The cubs of the big lioness is now huge aswell and are all females. They was so aggressive that the small female and her cubs was being pushed out of the group and when Aslan and his brother also turned on the female she had big problems. They beat her up so badly that they sadly had to put her down. 
Luckily the cubs where old enought to survive without their mom. 

Aslan is very famous in Norway and do have big crowds at his feedings all year round! He also has his own bread in Norway. 

I guess this is the giant 255 kg captive male that you know, right?

This male is amazing and beautiful, if you have direct confirmation of the weight, you should present this record to KingTheropod, he is the one that collect the weights of captive lions and tigers. And if you have body measurements of this great cat, I will appreciate if you can give it to me, I am the one that keep all those records.

Greetings. [img]images/smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

Hi guate. I think it was Pckts that had a video of him beeing weighed, but i do not have his length. Sorry.