There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Largest Living wild lions ?

United Kingdom Sully Offline
Ecology & Rewilding

yup, I made a topic on the size of okavango lions as well. Here is the article i used in it.

https://youtu.be/3pyRHN_P1_Q?list=LL02As...iZfYg&t=30
1 user Likes Sully's post

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

@SVTIGRIS I think You posted wrong. it was no article, but a YouTube video.
2 users Like Pantherinae's post

Ecology & Rewilding

(11-08-2015, 06:38 AM)Pantherinae Wrote: @SVTIGRIS I think You posted wrong. it was no article, but a YouTube video.

oops, sorry. here is is

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...sland.html
3 users Like Sully's post

Guatemala GuateGojira Offline
Expert & Researcher

(11-08-2015, 02:32 AM)BoldChamp Wrote:
(11-07-2015, 10:34 PM)GuateGojira Wrote: No, that is a girth over the mane and the other girth is definitely not from the chest, but probably from a full belly.

Check also that the book is from 1848, so, you can guess about its accuracy.

The 4 ft neck girth was from another creature. The lion had a 3ft 1 in. Neck girth or so.

Interesting, even then it includes the mane, so about 80 cm should be more accurate.

Still, very large.
2 users Like GuateGojira's post

Canada Kingtheropod Offline
Bigcat Expert

Sedated lions relocated to Rwanda from South Africa

These lions are not new by any means, they where relocated back in the 1990's. But this report about it just came up recently.
 Thoughts?
The lions’ new home is Akagera National Park in Rwanda, whose lion population was wiped out after the country’s 1994 genocide.

*This image is copyright of its original author

PHINDA PRIVATE GAME RESERVE, SOUTH AFRICA—The sedated, blindfolded lions lay in the dirt, unwitting passengers about to embark on a 30-hour, 4,000-kilometre journey by truck and plane from South Africa to Rwanda, whose lion population was wiped out after the country’s 1994 genocide.
Then conservationists hoisted the limp bodies into crates, grasping big paws, thick tails and even the imposing heads of animals that earlier pounced on an antelope carcass used as bait to bring them closer to a veterinarian with a tranquillizer gun.
The operation this week to move seven South African lions to Rwanda in east-central Africa is an upbeat tale in an otherwise challenging picture for wildlife on the continent, where poaching has surged and human encroachment is shrinking habitats. Lions are designated as vulnerable on an international “red list” of species facing threats. By some estimates, there are fewer than 20,000 lions in the wild, a drop of about 40 per cent in the past two decades.
“There’s just no room for them and they’re being pressurized and pressurized,” said Dr. Mike Toft, a wildlife veterinarian who darted five female lions Monday at the Phinda Private Game Reserve in South Africa’s KwaZulu-Natal province. An Associated Press writer and photographer watched as crane operators loaded the lion crates onto a truck that arrived with two male lions from nearby Tembe Elephant Park. The vehicle then drove to Johannesburg for a charter flight to Rwanda.
The lions’ new home is Akagera National Park, where cattle herders poisoned Rwanda’s last lions about 15 years ago after the park was left unmanaged in the genocide’s wake. Returning refugees took over much of the park, reducing its size by more than half to 1,122 square kilometres in 1997, according to African Parks, a Johannesburg-based group that manages Akagera and other national wildlife parks in Africa.
Article Continued Below

The non-profit group organized the lion transfer to Rwanda, which hopes to boost a wildlife tourism industry that focuses on mountain gorillas. African Parks tried in vain to secure lions from Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania that are genetically closer to Rwanda’s old lions.
Rwandans should celebrate the return of lions, wrote a columnist in The New Times, a Rwandan newspaper.
“We didn’t treasure what we had (lions) until they were gone,” Sunny Ntayombya wrote. “Then we scrambled around, cap in hand, begging different African countries to spare a cat or two.”

At Phinda, the five lionesses bound for Rwanda were unexpectedly joined in their holding pen by three other lions that burrowed their way inside. Toft had to dart all eight before workers could enter to fasten satellite tracking collars on the animals earmarked for travel to Rwanda.
The sedated lions looked vulnerable, jarring with the popular notion of lions as animal royalty. They were blindfolded with cloth and park staff and others moved quietly and spoke softly to reduce the chance of any lion awakening. Some photographed the lions’ faces, a close-up opportunity to appreciate a carnivore that has symbolized bravery and inspired Born Free, The Lion King and other successful books and films.
This month, the International Union for Conservation of Nature noted successful lion conservation in southern Africa, but said lions in West Africa are critically endangered and that rapid population declines have also been recorded in East Africa. A national park in India also has lions.
A trade in lion bones and other body parts for traditional medicine in Africa as well as Asia is considered a growing threat. And lions can easily come into conflict with rural communities that depend on livestock.
A lion that escaped from South Africa’s Karoo National Park three weeks ago was captured Monday, authorities said. A veterinarian darted the lion from a helicopter, which lifted the animal in a sling off a mountainside.
The Rwanda-bound lions arrived Tuesday at Akagera, where they are being kept in quarantine for at least two weeks before their release into the wilderness.
The two males each weigh about 250 kilograms and are known to have fathered at least 12 cubs. Andrew Parker, joint operations manager for African Parks, said he expected Akagera’s lion population to grow “quite quickly.”
Toft, the veterinarian, said Rwanda’s new lions have a “diverse” genetic makeup and that inbreeding should not be a concern for a while. South Africa, he said, could supply more lions to the continent because of robust numbers on its small, fenced reserves.
“Our lions thrive,” he said. “We could easily repopulate many reserves.”

https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2015/...frica.html
7 users Like Kingtheropod's post

Canada Kingtheropod Offline
Bigcat Expert
( This post was last modified: 10-30-2016, 11:08 AM by Kingtheropod )

(10-13-2014, 11:33 AM)GuateGojira Wrote: Heaviest lion ever......   really???

Today I have found the digital version of the book "Animal Facts and Feats" of 1982-third and last edition. In this new version there are new data and some old one was discarded. However, the point here is that AT LAST, there is a published picture of the record heavy lion of 313 kg, supposedly the heaviest male lion ever, hunted in the wild, the male that was "weighed several times before been accepted" and bla bla bla.... Well, check the picture:

What do you think of this 690 lb "giant"???
Hello Guate

I am in agreement with you. There is no way that lion in the picture is 313 kg! As a matter of fact, I'm doubting that it even weighs 200 kg. That lion in the picture looks like a normal 180 kg lion to me. Maybe that's why they weighed it several times because they really couldn't believe it, and I don't blame them because I don't either.LOL

[img]http://i.imgur.com/j6ktizr.png" class="lozad max-img-size" alt="" title="">

The record breaking tiger of 389 kg is without question clearly bigger then that lion in that picture (313 kg) by a significant amount...

Same can be said for Jim Corbett's tiger (Perhaps 317 kg) much bigger! Does anyone really believe that lion is as big or bigger then this guy...

This is what a 300 kg animal looks like...

7 users Like Kingtheropod's post

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 05-25-2018, 04:22 AM by Pantherinae )

@Pckts  I could not find the videos that I had saved of lionesses walking next to vehicles as most had sadly been removed by the uploader...
but I happily I could manage to find some big looking males (and some females) from Duba Plains.. they do look massive don't you agree?

7 users Like Pantherinae's post

Canada Charan Singh Offline

(10-13-2014, 11:50 AM)GuateGojira Wrote: Here is again the same image, but without the entire page:

And for those that could say this is not the lion, well, check the credit of the picture (red square, please):

Personally, I will stick with the "true" record lion of the 240 kg "empty" male lion weighed by the late Dr Hu Berry, and in the last case, the 250 kg "empty" lion from Timbavati. No more "mythical" giants for me, thank you. [img]images/smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

This photograph saying a 313Kg lion seems a fabrication by all accounts,
1) Comparing the size of the faces of the lion, man and child, the lions faces is quite average.
2) It is quite possible the face isn't that big as the body but animals front legs aren't massive either.
3) Child seated on lion also shows that lions height ain't great as to be massively high.

I would have assumed lion to weigh high if bone and muscle density were very high but that doesn't seems to be case here.
3 users Like Charan Singh's post

BorneanTiger Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 08-23-2019, 10:54 PM by BorneanTiger )

(01-25-2019, 07:19 PM)Charan Singh Wrote:
(10-13-2014, 11:50 AM)GuateGojira Wrote: Here is again the same image, but without the entire page:

And for those that could say this is not the lion, well, check the credit of the picture (red square, please):

Personally, I will stick with the "true" record lion of the 240 kg "empty" male lion weighed by the late Dr Hu Berry, and in the last case, the 250 kg "empty" lion from Timbavati. No more "mythical" giants for me, thank you. [img]images/smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

This photograph saying a 313Kg lion seems a fabrication by all accounts,
1) Comparing the size of the faces of the lion, man and child, the lions faces is quite average.
2) It is quite possible the face isn't that big as the body but animals front legs aren't massive either.
3) Child seated on lion also shows that lions height ain't great as to be massively high.

I would have assumed lion to weigh high if bone and muscle density were very high but that doesn't seems to be case here.

As with the heaviest wild tiger, the heaviest wild lions to my knowledge are eaters of Bovidae (buffaloes, cattle, etc.). Just as Hassinger's Bengal tiger weighed a whopping 388.7 kg (857 lbs) after eating a buffalo calf in 1967 (https://archive.is/20130202094033/http:/...nov95.html), two East African lions that killed a whopping 244 cattle and 3 donkeys at Issuna Village in Tanzania, 1963, were weighed at a whopping 700 lbs (320 kg) and 800 lbs (360 kg), respectively (https://books.google.com/books?id=i_JPAQ...edir_esc=y).

Lone, fat lion that consumed a buffalo by Deonne Kahler: http://deonnekahler.com/2017/10/lion-eating-buffalo/

lionjaguar Offline
Banned

Anyone can post the biggest lions and sizes of each part of Africa?
1 user Likes lionjaguar's post

Ecology & Rewilding

@lionjaguar here is one set of weights from the book Wild Cats Of The World - Sunquist and Sunquist (2002)

Sorry for the low image quality

2 users Like Sully's post

lionjaguar Offline
Banned

(10-12-2019, 12:01 AM)Sully Wrote: @lionjaguar here is one set of weights from the book Wild Cats Of The World - Sunquist and Sunquist (2002)

Sorry for the low image quality

I mean names of top 5 biggest lions in each protected areas like Mapogo and Notch boys

Ecology & Rewilding

@lionjaguar ah ok, unfortunately I dont have that information. Also most, and by extension likely the biggest will have 'park names' rather than names personally given by rangers.
1 user Likes Sully's post

BIGCATSXPERT Offline
Lion enthusiast

Largest living wild lions are either from Botswana or south africa imo..

They grow very big there as we all know..

So from Kalahari the average weight is 209kg..
From south africa their are lions like ximpoko who weighed 280kg 

1 user Likes BIGCATSXPERT's post

Incogray Offline

(09-01-2014, 10:34 PM)Pantherinae Wrote:

I think this is almero weighing The lion with The wildlife vet. 

This lion does look that big if you visualize it as closer then the three men.it looks big cause the right hand of the rigthmost guy looks like its resting in lion's head which obviously isn't the case thus this picture only has the illusion of the lion being big.