There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Largest Living wild lions ?

Israel Amnon242 Offline
Tiger Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 09-02-2014, 07:35 PM by Amnon242 )

(09-02-2014, 10:31 AM)GuateGojira Wrote: This raw comparison suggest that there is very little variation among the lion populations

What you say is in perfect accordance with V. Mazak :)

tigerluver Offline
Prehistoric Feline Expert
Moderators

Quick question, what is the exact citation of "Apps, 2008"?

Guatemala GuateGojira Offline
Expert & Researcher

(09-08-2014, 05:35 AM)'tigerluver' Wrote: Quick question, what is the exact citation of "Apps, 2008"?

Sorry, my mistake, it is Apps (2000). Here are the pages of the book used:

*This image is copyright of its original author

3 users Like GuateGojira's post

chaos Offline
wildlife enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 09-09-2014, 08:10 PM by chaos )

(09-01-2014, 10:04 PM)'Pantherinae' Wrote:

I think this is almero weighing The lion with The wildlife vet. 

I believe Almero could be the first person from the left. Just googled his name, his facebook profile appeared with a photo.
He does work with the Timbavati reserve. No fabrication there. I see no reason for him to lie. Seals the deal for me.

1 user Likes chaos's post

United States Siegfried Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast

Why is this account such a topic of harsh debate?

chaos Offline
wildlife enthusiast

Perhaps some are just not receptive to the reality lions get that large.
Irregardless, in my eyes its not an issue. I'm satisfied its a legit claim.
Alot of time was spent on this, too much time. No further input from
myself is necessary.
1 user Likes chaos's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(09-09-2014, 05:41 PM)'chaos' Wrote:
(09-01-2014, 10:04 PM)'Pantherinae' Wrote:

I think this is almero weighing The lion with The wildlife vet. 

I believe Almero could be the first person from the left. Just googled his name, his facebook profile appeared with a photo.
He does work with the Timbavati reserve. No fabrication there. I see no reason for him to lie. Seals the deal for me.

Seals the deal?
Ok, so no record of the lion being weighed, no measurements, no time table, no date or scales provided, no location of capture or images of the people there or the lion.
Timbavati reserve and Timbavati leopard reserve are one in the same? Still haven't seen anything that states that, don't even think timbavati leopard reserve is still around. Already reached out to the Timbavati reserve and still waiting on reply.

Definitely doesn't seal the deal on my side, far to many questions left unresolved.

Bigcat Enthusiast

(09-08-2014, 07:57 AM)'GuateGojira' Wrote:
(09-08-2014, 05:35 AM)'tigerluver' Wrote: Quick question, what is the exact citation of "Apps, 2008"?

Sorry, my mistake, it is Apps (2000). Here are the pages of the book used:

Nice info here, glad to see measurements, weights, shoulder heights etc.
All needed to confirm weights and claims.

Expert & Researcher
( This post was last modified: 10-13-2014, 11:05 AM by GuateGojira )

Heaviest lion ever......   really???

Today I have found the digital version of the book "Animal Facts and Feats" of 1982-third and last edition. In this new version there are new data and some old one was discarded. However, the point here is that AT LAST, there is a published picture of the record heavy lion of 313 kg, supposedly the heaviest male lion ever, hunted in the wild, the male that was "weighed several times before been accepted" and bla bla bla.... Well, check the picture:

What do you think of this 690 lb "giant"??? [img]images/smilies/dodgy.gif[/img]

Sorry, but I have saw plush lions larger than this. It seems that those "giant" cats of the past are no more real than UFO's, when we actually discover them.
1 user Likes GuateGojira's post

Expert & Researcher
( This post was last modified: 10-13-2014, 11:21 AM by GuateGojira )

Here is again the same image, but without the entire page:

And for those that could say this is not the lion, well, check the credit of the picture (red square, please):

Personally, I will stick with the "true" record lion of the 240 kg "empty" male lion weighed by the late Dr Hu Berry, and in the last case, the 250 kg "empty" lion from Timbavati. No more "mythical" giants for me, thank you. [img]images/smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

2 users Like GuateGojira's post

chaos Offline
wildlife enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 10-13-2014, 06:56 PM by chaos )

(10-13-2014, 11:20 AM)'GuateGojira' Wrote: Here is again the same image, but without the entire page:

And for those that could say this is not the lion, well, check the credit of the picture (red square, please):

Personally, I will stick with the "true" record lion of the 240 kg "empty" male lion weighed by the late Dr Hu Berry, and in the last case, the 250 kg "empty" lion from Timbavati. No more "mythical" giants for me, thank you. [img]images/smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

I agree. Claims of hunters from long ago are just not very credible. Its typical to inflate the weights/size claimed on
prized trophies, while on the flipside, specimens weighed/measured by vets/biologists are legit. There will always be
a degree of doubt regarding hunting claims.

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

@chaos , Ignore to quote posts in reply of posts which are a few post above. This make the thread unnecessary long and hence compromise the readability. Hope you understand.

Regards

Bigcat Enthusiast

Neither the heaviest Lion or heaviest tiger were weighed on scales that were calibrated for big cats.
One was a rice scale and the other was a train scale.

Thats why its best we use verified records, just keeps the speculation out of it.
Is there body measurements attached to it?
Thats a good way to find out their actual weights as well, so we can compare them to other similar cats that have been verified.

Expert & Researcher
( This post was last modified: 10-14-2014, 09:31 AM by GuateGojira )

No body measurements of this lion has been presented in any sources, nor even in the original report, which is very rare, coming from the fact that this is a important factor. Besides, there is no skull size too, although the large size of the skull don't represent a large weight, specially in lions.

So no, there is no way to know the size of this lion and the picture itself shows a lion of ordinary dimensions, probably no more than 200 kg. it seems that those "giants" are, at the end, just myths and the fact that it was "verified" by "several" people, at the end, don't add anything, as we don't know "who" verified it. If it was just the hunter and his friends as I think, well, that will destroy the credibility of this record.

2 users Like GuateGojira's post

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 12-19-2014, 08:22 AM by Pantherinae )

Post this picture again! Massive lion from duba plains! 

2 users Like Pantherinae's post