There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kambula/Ntsevu Pride

United Kingdom NLAL11 Offline

(08-15-2024, 11:25 PM)BA0701 Wrote:
(08-15-2024, 08:48 PM)NLAL11 Wrote: Update on the Ntsevu pride. Apparently the 4 younger cubs are 1M 3F. Photos taken 22nd June, credits to Nick Tennick.

https://blog.londolozi.com/2024/08/15/an...evu-pride/

Ntsevu pride drinking.

*This image is copyright of its original author

K6

Cubs and lioness.

We'll have two separate prides the massive size of the old Kambula Pride, before you know it.

If all the female cubs make it to adulthood, which is always a big if. The Kambula pride will almost certainly end up being quite large, though there might be a split.

I would be happy to see 3-4 of the Ntsevu girls make it to adulthood. By the time they're mature, the 3 original lionesses will be very old, if they're all even still around. Any fewer than that and they will be very vulnerable.
3 users Like NLAL11's post

United Kingdom NLAL11 Offline

(08-16-2024, 09:36 AM)Go131810 Wrote:
(08-15-2024, 08:48 PM)NLAL11 Wrote: Update on the Ntsevu pride. Apparently the 4 younger cubs are 1M 3F. Photos taken 22nd June, credits to Nick Tennick.

Ntsevu pride drinking.

K6

Cubs and lioness.

We'll have two separate prides the massive size of the old Kambula Pride, before you know it.
What do you mean a split? Has K2 been seen with her her cubs? Interesting if it is meant to be the youngest of the Kambula could join with the youngest from the Mahangeni pride. There is only 2 male lions ? Maybe they might form a bond, but wouldn’t the older one leave earlier ?

He means the Kambula pride and Ntsevu pride, which were originally one pride, will/could both end up being as large as the original pride of 6 lionesses (as well as cubs/subs), which is quite a high number of adult lionesses. At least for Sabi Sands/Kruger.

Provided all the Ntsevu cubs make it to adulthood, the two boys could form a coalition. They are only a few months apart, no reason they couldn't/won't leave together.
2 users Like NLAL11's post

Go131810 Offline

(08-16-2024, 04:35 PM)NLAL11 Wrote:

Ntsevu pride drinking.

K6

Cubs and lioness.

What do you mean a split? Has K2 been seen with her her cubs? Interesting if it is meant to be the youngest of the Kambula could join with the youngest from the Mahangeni pride. There is only 2 male lions ? Maybe they might form a bond, but wouldn’t the older one leave earlier ?

He means the Kambula pride and Ntsevu pride, which were originally one pride, will/could both end up being as large as the original pride of 6 lionesses (as well as cubs/subs), which is quite a high number of adult lionesses. At least for Sabi Sands/Kruger.

Provided all the Ntsevu cubs make it to adulthood, the two boys could form a coalition. They are only a few months apart, no reason they couldn't/won't leave together.
Ok I did not understand. Yes they have many cubs. Yes hoping it is meant to be that they can all grow up.
1 user Likes Go131810's post

Go131810 Offline

(08-16-2024, 10:52 PM)Go131810 Wrote:
(08-16-2024, 04:35 PM)NLAL11 Wrote:

Ntsevu pride drinking.

K6

Cubs and lioness.

Ok I did not understand. Yes they have many cubs. Yes hoping it is meant to be that they can all grow up.

Yes I know sometimes the older cubs when they get older leave when they are older than their brothers. If it is just two male lion they might form a strong bond. In the Kambula pride if there are 8 male lions I could see the older lions leaving early in a group of 6 or 7 maybe 5, but I do not know their age. Eight is an even number but I can see 4, 5 or 6 leaving together then maybe another two together. Hoping it is meant to be.

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 08-17-2024, 11:37 AM by Tr1x24 )

Kambulas:

Theres a lot of sub males there, i think i spotted atleast 6 males with glimpses of manes, possibly more as some are smaller.
4 users Like Tr1x24's post

RookiePundit Offline

There should be 8 males total (cubs/subs), unless somebody disappeared recently.
1 user Likes RookiePundit's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(08-17-2024, 04:26 PM)RookiePundit Wrote: There should be 8 males total (cubs/subs), unless somebody disappeared recently.

Didnt know that, wow, thats a lot of males.
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Mapokser Offline
Contributor

Is it true that the Kambulas and Ntsevus were feeding together with the Ndhzengas, cubs and injured Ntsevu lioness included?
2 users Like Mapokser's post

United States Friarfan619 Offline

" target="_blank" class="post_link">
4 users Like Friarfan619's post

RookiePundit Offline

(08-17-2024, 04:45 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(08-17-2024, 04:26 PM)RookiePundit Wrote: There should be 8 males total (cubs/subs), unless somebody disappeared recently.

https://wildfact.com/forum/topic-kambula...#pid209529

And one of the deceased lioness (K1? K11?) supposedly had a 5 males litter among the very first ones in the pride, but they were orphaned too soon, too little to make it, so none did (5 is impractical number to raise them all to independence with losing any cub early on and significant food drain in case of 5 males if they would had time to latched on the support of the rest of the pride, so it is not like we can just say there could be even 5 more males growing up, but interesting how many male cubs were in Ndzhenga's first litters in back then still united big Kambula pride; and how fewer is there in considerably smaller Ntsevu one now - small sample, but interesting considering how many mammal species notably deviate from the average ratio due to surrounding and situations the offsprings are being born into).
1 user Likes RookiePundit's post

Ttimemarti Offline

I think it was k4 she had 5 males but she suddenly just died I saw the 5 cubs once or twice walking behind mom she seemed fine and so did the cubs then she just died somehow along with her sister k1 and k11
2 users Like Ttimemarti's post

BA0701 Online
Super Moderator

(08-18-2024, 11:02 PM)Ttimemarti Wrote: I think it was k4 she had 5 males but she suddenly just died I saw the 5 cubs once or twice walking behind mom she seemed fine and so did the cubs then she just died somehow along with her sister k1 and k11

Given I do not believe in coincidence, of any sort, when something this out of the ordinary occurs, there is always a reason for it.

Go131810 Offline

(08-18-2024, 09:00 PM)RookiePundit Wrote:

And one of the deceased lioness (K1? K11?) supposedly had a 5 males litter among the very first ones in the pride, but they were orphaned too soon, too little to make it, so none did (5 is impractical number to raise them all to independence with losing any cub early on and significant food drain in case of 5 males if they would had time to latched on the support of the rest of the pride, so it is not like we can just say there could be even 5 more males growing up, but interesting how many male cubs were in Ndzhenga's first litters in back then still united big Kambula pride; and how fewer is there in considerably smaller Ntsevu one now - small sample, but interesting considering how many mammal species notably deviate from the average ratio due to surrounding and situations the offsprings are being born into).

I think is time to let these lions go. Is done. There is no point in talking about the past, but the present lions. It is interesting what you said. I was counting and there is 5 female lion cubs in the Kambula pride and with the Kambula mothers. The Mahangeni pride had 5 females and 5 male lion cubs. Is strange how there is 7 cubs sub adults in the Mahangeni, but the Southern Avoca is around and what about the Nukhuma male lion and the Talamatie male lion? I wonder if the Mahangeni ever call the Plain camp male lions. Maybe they were avoiding them with all the cubs they have. With Gingerella it seems they are always eating and they are together but they are only 4 and two are young cubs.

Ttimemarti Offline

(08-18-2024, 11:06 PM)BA0701 Wrote:
(08-18-2024, 11:02 PM)Ttimemarti Wrote: I think it was k4 she had 5 males but she suddenly just died I saw the 5 cubs once or twice walking behind mom she seemed fine and so did the cubs then she just died somehow along with her sister k1 and k11

Given I do not believe in coincidence, of any sort, when something this out of the ordinary occurs, there is always a reason for it.

I think it was a flood but still
1 user Likes Ttimemarti's post

BA0701 Online
Super Moderator
( This post was last modified: 08-19-2024, 03:12 AM by BA0701 )

(08-19-2024, 01:31 AM)Go131810 Wrote:
(08-18-2024, 09:00 PM)RookiePundit Wrote:

I think is time to let these lions go. Is done. There is no point in talking about the past, but the present lions. It is interesting what you said. I was counting and there is 5 female lion cubs in the Kambula pride and with the Kambula mothers. The Mahangeni pride had 5 females and 5 male lion cubs. Is strange how there is 7 cubs sub adults in the Mahangeni, but the Southern Avoca is around and what about the Nukhuma male lion and the Talamatie male lion? I wonder if the Mahangeni ever call the Plain camp male lions. Maybe they were avoiding them with all the cubs they have. With Gingerella it seems they are always eating and they are together but they are only 4 and two are young cubs.

Talking about lions, past, present, and future, is what we do here. How are we to learn anything, if we do not learn of what has happened before? The point is to not forget them, and simply write them off when they are gone, but to remember them, and discuss those things as well.
2 users Like BA0701's post