There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kambula/Ntsevu Pride

Go131810 Offline

(07-24-2024, 07:00 AM)criollo2mil Wrote:
(07-24-2024, 06:29 AM)Ttimemarti Wrote: It’s confusing lol but I was told the most aggressive and leader of the kambula pride is k9 and k9 is the daughter of k2 and that young male is k2 son so in a way she’s looking after her mothers son lol but honestly I think they older females got pushed out and the cub was left behind by accident I think but idk how she could just leave him

If I recall the story correctly as said in a blog from MM, the two groups had met at a kill and in the commotion for dominance the Ntsevu females left but the cubs were left w the Kambula females.  

Quite a strange and unique situation for sure.

Then the young cubs followed the Kambula pride? I am thinking because they are cubs may they did not understand what was happening and they must of known all the Kambula lions? The young lion must of know the Kambulas.

United States criollo2mil Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 07-24-2024, 05:42 PM by criollo2mil )

(07-24-2024, 07:13 AM)Go131810 Wrote:
(07-24-2024, 07:00 AM)criollo2mil Wrote:
(07-24-2024, 06:29 AM)Ttimemarti Wrote: It’s confusing lol but I was told the most aggressive and leader of the kambula pride is k9 and k9 is the daughter of k2 and that young male is k2 son so in a way she’s looking after her mothers son lol but honestly I think they older females got pushed out and the cub was left behind by accident I think but idk how she could just leave him

If I recall the story correctly as said in a blog from MM, the two groups had met at a kill and in the commotion for dominance the Ntsevu females left but the cubs were left w the Kambula females.  

Quite a strange and unique situation for sure.

Then the young cubs followed the Kambula pride? I am thinking because they are cubs may they did not understand what was happening and they must of known all the Kambula lions? The young lion must of know the Kambulas.

The mother was spending time w both prides.   So the cubs were habituated w the Kambula side and probably had no clue.  
The event was shared here in this thread but I don’t remember how far back or the #
2 users Like criollo2mil's post

RookiePundit Offline

Does he has any surviving littermates? Or they dissappeared when with Kambula pride, already some time ago?
1 user Likes RookiePundit's post

Mapokser Offline
Contributor

His 2 littermates joined the Kambula pride with him, but died, the pride was struggling with food at the time.
3 users Like Mapokser's post

United Kingdom NLAL11 Offline

(07-24-2024, 06:01 AM)Go131810 Wrote:
(07-24-2024, 04:49 AM)criollo2mil Wrote: Special little Kambula Boy.  

This cub has the unique distinction to have 4 siblings in the Ntsevu pride.  

This is one of K2’s cubs from her first litter with Ndzengas that somehow got separated from her and became adopted by his Kambula cousins.  

Now, he has 4 new brothers and sisters in the Ntsevu pride living separate lives

It is strange, because you can’t say he is from another pride. Hopefully  if he can stay with his brothers and cousins from this pride the Kambula pride and stay together and healthy you can’t say he isn’t related to the Kambula lions and they are not brothers and cousins. He is probably cousins to most, but wouldn’t most of the younger cubs could be his half brothers? The older lioness is still his aunt and even some of the older cubs would be his brothers.

Any cubs/subs from K5 will be cousin-siblings, but the others will actually be nieces and nephews, as well as potentially siblings (if sharing the same father). And he has 4 fully grown sibling-cousins in the Birmingham daughters.
2 users Like NLAL11's post

RookiePundit Offline

(07-24-2024, 08:52 PM)Mapokser Wrote: His 2 littermates joined the Kambula pride with him, but died, the pride was struggling with food at the time.

That's what I thought, thank you for confirming. Interesting journey for the little fella. At least he has plenty of male peers* around to bond with so a good start in that regard.

*within few months of age difference
2 users Like RookiePundit's post

Mwk85 Offline
( This post was last modified: 07-26-2024, 02:00 PM by Mwk85 Edit Reason: Fixed information )

Posted a couple of days ago so I'm not exactly sure when it was filmed. Young male cub that got separated from the pride for two days took a kill from two leopards during that time. Cub is said to just be over a year old. Guessing the Split Rock male leopard may have thought the rest of the pride was nearby since he didn't make a move towards the cub.

5 users Like Mwk85's post

Mwk85 Offline

Kambula Pride on a male impala kill. Not much of a meal for 18 lions.

4 users Like Mwk85's post

BA0701 Online
Super Moderator
( This post was last modified: 07-26-2024, 05:46 PM by BA0701 )

(07-26-2024, 01:57 PM)Mwk85 Wrote: Posted a couple of days ago so I'm not exactly sure when it was filmed. Young male cub that got separated from the pride for two days took a kill from two leopards during that time. Cub is said to just be over a year old. Guessing the Split Rock male leopard may have thought the rest of the pride was nearby since he didn't make a move towards the cub.

Wow, that cub has no idea how lucky he is. He went back to the pride saying "You're not going to believe this, but...", their response was "You're right, we don't believe you."
5 users Like BA0701's post

Portugal Rui Ferreira Offline

(07-26-2024, 05:45 PM)BA0701 Wrote:
(07-26-2024, 01:57 PM)Mwk85 Wrote: Posted a couple of days ago so I'm not exactly sure when it was filmed. Young male cub that got separated from the pride for two days took a kill from two leopards during that time. Cub is said to just be over a year old. Guessing the Split Rock male leopard may have thought the rest of the pride was nearby since he didn't make a move towards the cub.

Wow, that cub has no idea how lucky he is. He went back to the pride saying "You're not going to believe this, but...", their response was "You're right, we don't believe you."
Looks like someone inherited Eorenji´s climbing skills lol
4 users Like Rui Ferreira's post

Contributor

(07-26-2024, 05:45 PM)BA0701 Wrote:

Haha. What a riot :)

United States afortich Offline
Contributor

Lazy town from above

7 users Like afortich's post

Contributor
( This post was last modified: 07-27-2024, 03:43 PM by criollo2mil )

(07-27-2024, 11:42 AM)afortich Wrote: Lazy town from above

Epic shot!

United Kingdom NLAL11 Offline

Londolozi Blog The Week in Pictures #659

https://blog.londolozi.com/2024/07/26/th...tures-659/

Photo credits to Sean Zeederberg

*This image is copyright of its original author

My first introduction to the older litter of Ntsevu Cubs, initially being denned in some rocky outcrops to the east of our borders, these lions have now been frequenting the stunning open crests to the east of the Londolozi Camps. I am pretty sure we will see these lions a fair amount more going forward.

*This image is copyright of its original author

While mum catches a much-needed rest the cubs can’t help but move around, stalking each other constantly intrigued by everything that moves nearby.
3 users Like NLAL11's post

Ttimemarti Offline
( This post was last modified: 07-28-2024, 09:39 AM by Ttimemarti Edit Reason: Miscommunication )

Ok so kambula pride has 13 cubs 8M 5F 
K2 1M
K9 2F
K8 1F 2M
Between k5,k7, and k10 they have 2F 5M I don’t know who has who yet
K5
K7 
K10
Then the other pride k3 has 2F 1M and k2 has a new litter of 4
2 users Like Ttimemarti's post