There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Jaguar Directory

Virgin Islands, U.S. Rage2277 Offline
animal enthusiast

he must be within the same range as edno then..the 150s mid to high @Balam
1 user Likes Rage2277's post

Brazil Dark Jaguar Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

(05-08-2021, 08:53 AM)Balam Wrote: SOUTHERN PANTANAL

I need your guys' opinion, this gargantuan male sighted in 2014 is in my opinion the largest I've ever seen, he even surpasses Edno in size in my perspective. What weight do you guess for him?

@Dark Jaguar @Pckts @peter @Rage2277

*This image is copyright of its original author

By Fabiano Aguilar

@Balam

Thats hard to tell from that angle but his body looks big, in that video of him behind the trees reminded me of those images of Hector hidden behind the bushes.

I'll wait for more clearer images of his entire body in different angles before giving an estimation on him. After me being wrong on Cage size (being smaller than I thought) and Wilson size (being bigger than I thought) I am gonna be more careful on estimating their weights from photos.

Magrão (Skinny)

credits: Mario Nelson

1 user Likes Dark Jaguar's post

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

@Dark Jaguar

I'm trying to get more info about that specific jaguar from the photographer who seems to be someone who studied jaguars and has seen a good amount in person. In the comments, he kept describing him as a "giant", he likely got the same impression as me. Also, just to correct one mistake I made, the male from the video is different from the giant male in the picture, the one from the video was sighted in 2014, the one from the picture in 2017, here are more pictures of the 2014 male:

SOUTHERN PANTANAL

Registers at Da Ilha refuge from April 2021 by Onçafari

Kim

Pança

Here's Pança on January of this year

The last time there was an update they said to have one remaining collar and therefore one remaining capture to do at Da Ilha, I genuinely hope they capture him, he looks massive as well.

Full video from April:

1 user Likes Balam's post

Jaguar Enthusiast

(05-10-2021, 09:06 PM)Balam Wrote: @Dark Jaguar

I'm trying to get more info about that specific jaguar from the photographer who seems to be someone who studied jaguars and has seen a good amount in person. In the comments, he kept describing him as a "giant", he likely got the same impression as me. Also, just to correct one mistake I made, the male from the video is different from the giant male in the picture, the one from the video was sighted in 2014, the one from the picture in 2017, here are more pictures of the 2014 male:

SOUTHERN PANTANAL

Registers at Da Ilha refuge from April 2021 by Onçafari

Kim

Pança

Here's Pança on January of this year

The last time there was an update they said to have one remaining collar and therefore one remaining capture to do at Da Ilha, I genuinely hope they capture him, he looks massive as well.

Full video from April:

Great, hopefully he will provide you more images of this specimen.

Pança is an individual I am keeping an eye on in a while, I already told you he is the one I wish to be captured in that area along with Neo.

Refúgio da Ilha Ecolodge and Institute Delta do Salobra is doing a great job on the conservation of that piece of Pantanal, the president of Onçafari Mario Haberfeld did a great job joining on the partneship with them.

Lets see who will be the specimen to be fitted with the last collar left.

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 05-13-2021, 02:56 AM by Balam )

Gaucho
Circa 2013

By Suha Derbent
2 users Like Balam's post

Jaguar Enthusiast

(05-12-2021, 07:19 AM)Balam Wrote: Scarface
Circa 2013

By Suha Derbent

That's Gaucho male.

These 2 (Gaúcho & Scarface) got one very alike ''feature'' on that torn upper left lip, I even mentioned this ''similarity'' of the 2 in the Dynamics thread.

Bigger coincidence would be if both got those ripped lips fighting one another which wouldn't be far fetched to think since both males were seeing the most in that area in the same 2 years in a row. But we'll never know.
2 users Like Dark Jaguar's post

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 05-13-2021, 03:06 AM by Balam )

(05-12-2021, 03:04 PM)Dark Jaguar Wrote:
Circa 2013

By Suha Derbent

That's Gaucho male.

These 2 (Gaúcho & Scarface) got one very alike ''feature'' on that torn upper left lip, I even mentioned this ''similarity'' of the 2 in the Dynamics thread.

Bigger coincidence would be if both got those ripped lips fighting one another which wouldn't be far fetched to think since both males were seeing the most in that area in the same 2 years in a row. But we'll never know.

I meant to refer to the original Scarface although Geoff too has torn upper lip, Scarface had a torn front lip, and looking at his markings they definitely differ from Gaucho's and Geoff's, so you're right that is Gaucho.

Scarface in 2013

Alejandro Insegna
2 users Like Balam's post

Jaguar Enthusiast

(05-13-2021, 03:05 AM)Balam Wrote:
(05-12-2021, 03:04 PM)Dark Jaguar Wrote:
Circa 2013

By Suha Derbent

That's Gaucho male.

I meant to refer to the original Scarface although Geoff too has torn upper lip, Scarface had a torn front lip, and looking at his markings they definitely differ from Gaucho's and Geoff's, so you're right that is Gaucho.

Scarface in 2013

Alejandro Insegna

I knew the Scarface male you refered to, Geoff got a remarkable look and his canines on the left doesn't get exposed with his mouth shut as much these two do, on Geoff it looks more like a swollen upper left lip.

Scarface

Gaucho

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 05-14-2021, 12:36 AM by Balam )

Xingu
Sighted yesterday

Valter Patrial

Virgin Islands, U.S. Rage2277 Offline
animal enthusiast

redyaguarete - UKU marking territory.

Jaguars are territorial. Males tend to occupy large areas (30 thousand hectares and even more), depending on several factors, such prey availability, threatening human presence, water, and very particularly, females.

These have much smaller territories -half or less- overlapping with those of one or more males. Thus, the territory of Uku overlaps with that of several females, such as Macacha and Paru (of which we have recorded).

However, there are sites where various male territories also overlap. In the heart of the Baritú National Park we have registered up to 4 adult males in the same place. Even so, there is usually one of them who is the dominant one.

In this fantastic image, UKU, marks its territory in a typical way: by urinating.
3 users Like Rage2277's post

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 05-22-2021, 04:14 AM by Balam )

SOUTHERN PANTANAL

Big male

Leo Cavazzana

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 05-17-2021, 07:26 PM by Balam )

Kaluanã
December 2020

Henrique Olsen

Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 05-21-2021, 11:14 PM by Dark Jaguar )

Ruth and her 3rd litter

credits: Pantanal Jaguar Camp

Cub on the left (Xando), Cub on the right (Bororo)

Unfotunately the 3rd cub (Tore) of this litter died.

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 05-22-2021, 04:13 AM by Balam )

SOUTHERN PANTANAL

Male registered at Fazenda Barranco Alto last March, unknown name to me.

From 2013 the massive male Macho A, certainly one of the largest from this area during that time

@Dark Jaguar who do you think was bigger between Macho A and Colombiano? It's very hard to tell but I think Macho A was stockier, would've loved for them to have been captured. Leaving aside Manco whose actual reliable weight remains debatable, Sossego could possibly hold the title of the largest jaguar from this ranch but he was barely in his prime when captured and I think Colombiano and Macho A were likely larger, being possibly older based on footage from them as well.

Jaguar Enthusiast

(05-22-2021, 04:12 AM)Balam Wrote: SOUTHERN PANTANAL

Male registered at Fazenda Barranco Alto last March, unknown name to me.

From 2013 the massive male Macho A, certainly one of the largest from this area during that time

@Dark Jaguar who do you think was bigger between Macho A and Colombiano? It's very hard to tell but I think Macho A was stockier, would've loved for them to have been captured. Leaving aside Manco whose actual reliable weight remains debatable, Sossego could possibly hold the title of the largest jaguar from this ranch but he was barely in his prime when captured and I think Colombiano and Macho A were likely larger, being possibly older based on footage from them as well.

@Balam

The male jaguar you posted from the camera trap at Fazenda Barranco Alto is M&M (Matheus Manco).

And now he is around 7 y.o (based on his first capture at 4 y.o in 2018).

Macho A was a jaguar that I many times looked for infos but with not much luck, he was indeed big and I wanted to see more of him but Colombiano IMO had a ''complete package'' mostly cause I think Colombiano's head is larger.

Overall dimensions body wise it probably seems close but its hard to tell as Macho A footage are more scarce than Colombiano's. But IMO Colombiano takes it for me specially regarding head/jaws/cheek dimension/proportions related to the rest of the body that makes him look rather cartoonish.

One thing that surprises me and I personally find impressive the most on jaguars is not even sheer sizes but their head sizes to body relation (cartoonish lookings).

Specimens with massive cartoonish heads that looks like that their heads were taken from a larger scaled puppet cat and put on a stocky body makes their heads scream dimensions. Specimens with this feature way more clearly visible looks much more impressive to me than ''just'' a large body frame and from what we've got Colombiano takes this for me. And I think Colombiano even appeared to be a bit of a tall jaguar but its just me.

Sossego was captured at 5 years old in 2015. He was an impressive looking male but I'd still give the edge to Colombiano, that dude just screamed Large proportions, even when he was empty.

I still wanna see more of Macho A though, he looks thick and maybe they're both on pair on this aspect but I am not sure if Colombiano was less stocky than Macho A, Colombiano was also very muscular as you can see bellow with very visible muscle definition that looks like it was drew by Da Vinci.

VIDEO

Note above his head rather big compared to the rest of his body (which isn't small) as he is laying down and then as he gets up to walk away you see not only his muscles definitions but also Colombiano's head which by him getting the distance the head still looks huge related to his muscular body even though his head is the furthest away part of his body from the camera angle that continues getting further, further and further away (yet cartoonish looking). Jaguars as species got this feature but some specimen got it on an way that blows my mind, I can only imagine the head circumference measure of these freak beasts.

And of course a nice comparison to have an indication of Colombiano's size was that fight in 2017 against Mancha-Preta male (who was captured and weighed 101 kg) compared to Colombiano side by side you can see a good comparison between a normal sized Pantanal male to a large sized Pantanal male (Note their Head/Chest/Body proportions comparisons). And Due to their sheer sizes difference there's not even the need to tell who is who.

VIDEO

Thats my opinion but we never know who was really larger but Colombiano was acknowledged to be a massive beast from Onças do Rio Negro even before I knew him, they described him to be probably the closest jaguar to 150 kg they've ever seen and the Onçafari biologist acknowledged him to be huge as well.

As you said the Bad thing is they'll never be captured but I think in the past there were chances of Colombiano being captured by that project at around over 6 years ago but I assume Colombiano just didn't fall on the snaretrap, but if he did... the Onças do Rio Negro team would definitely had needed a larger weighing machine scale.