There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 9 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
History's most brutal killers, the Majingilane Male Lions

United Kingdom Leroy Offline
( This post was last modified: 04-12-2018, 03:53 PM by Tshokwane )

Scar Nose Majingilane was found at singita with bite wounds in his flank, missing skin on his back and scratches and gashes in his legs after going out on a regular territorial patrol.  He was attacked by rival coalition: the birminghams.  The altercation was witnessed by a ranger (hopefully have video evidence).  Photos were sent to me via a contact that shall remain nameless. Scar Nose must of came back to Majingi stomping grounds to reunite with his missing Dark Mane brother but instead ran into birminghams who pounced on him.  Maybe they tracked roars or he was too weak to run from them.  One thing is confirmed, they all gave him a good mauling.  It is unclear if the Birminghams killed him outright or if he came out injured and slowly died but one thing is for sure, Scar Nose went out like a warrior and didn't waste away in a ditch.  Hard to share the photos, but I thought to myself, he won't mind...he's dead and i'm sure he would chomp my ballsack off if I dared venture out of the safety of a Lions Sands jeep.   RIP Scarnose.  Your time was up, like all old lions, you went out on your sword.

As of now, only Dark Mane is left.  Gold Mane nothing confirmed but assumed dead.  Time will tell what happens to him.  Will be in touch if I hear anything.

RIP Majingis.  Greatest coalition to ever grace Sabi Sands.

Attached Files Image(s)

13 users Like Leroy's post

Argentina Tshokwane Offline
Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

(04-12-2018, 10:30 AM)sik94 Wrote: if you are a lion you better hope there is enough game in the area to hunt. The end came quite abruptly and I am still a little confused about the whole hunting situation. All the buffaloes had left the area I heard?

I don't know really, but I think it was just a rough patch of time as it tends to happen in the wild. There's time of plenty, and also time of little and I guess they just had the bad luck of pass through the latter when they weren't at their best physically.

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 04-12-2018, 03:57 PM by Tshokwane )

Thanks for the post @Leroy 

But I don't really think the Birmingham males did this. They were down in Mala Mala, have been for the past several days and haven't moved back up north.

My suspicion is hyenas, they would have gladly have their fun with him.

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

(04-12-2018, 10:08 AM)Gamiz Wrote: @Tshokwane: hermano me entristece en sobremanera está noticia,  he seguido de cerca los últimos acontecimientos, aún cuando lo nieguen  muchos, Scarnose y sus hermanos han hecho historia pura.

Definitivamente. Es el tipo de noticia que uno no quiere escuchar, más de todo porque a principio de año estaban en excelente condición.

Pero bueno, al menos tuvieron una vida plena y demostraron que nadie pudo moverlos hasta que no pudieron más.
1 user Likes Tshokwane's post

United States sik94 Offline
Sikander Hayat
( This post was last modified: 04-12-2018, 04:53 PM by sik94 )

There are pictures of 3 birminghams visiting singita in the last 2 days. That much damage on the lower back and gashes on the forelegs gotta be from lions. Hyenas wouldn't have left behind a carcass this intact. Seems like he wasn't in that bad a shape either as we saw very recently.
4 users Like sik94's post

South Africa HouseOfLions Offline

(04-12-2018, 03:55 PM)Tshokwane Wrote: Thanks for the post @Leroy 

But I don't really think the Birmingham males did this. They were down in Mala Mala, have been for the past several days and haven't moved back up north.

I think it was the BBoys.
3 BBoys were seen visiting Singita in the past 2/3 days. Plus, the gashes on the lower back and forelegs look like they came from a lion attack.

Not to mention, Hyeans wouldn't just leave this much food behind, they would have devoured him.
3 users Like HouseOfLions's post

Michael Offline
( This post was last modified: 04-12-2018, 06:37 PM by Michael )

(04-12-2018, 03:52 PM)Tshokwane Wrote:
(04-12-2018, 10:30 AM)sik94 Wrote: if you are a lion you better hope there is enough game in the area to hunt. The end came quite abruptly and I am still a little confused about the whole hunting situation. All the buffaloes had left the area I heard?

I don't know really, but I think it was just a rough patch of time as it tends to happen in the wild. There's time of plenty, and also time of little and I guess they just had the bad luck of pass through the latter when they weren't at their best physically.
Happens to humans as well if you are an extremely old person even a mild cold can kill you, old people are really susceptible to temperature fluctuation.

It might have been a situation they overcome multiple times in the past, we see it alot with male leopards not so much with lions, once they reach a certain age they are never the same even if they feed regularly they just can't maintain the same body mass they once had even if nothing in their environment changes.
2 users Like Michael's post

United States ShakaMapogo Offline
Scythian

Tristan on Safarilive said that he got news that Scar died naturally and then hyenas fed on him..
4 users Like ShakaMapogo's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Yeah, it could easily have been either of those options, so until we get some confirmation we're going to have to keep an open mind until we know for sure what happened.
1 user Likes Tshokwane's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Credits to Adam Bannister.

Saddened to hear about the passing of one of the most renowned male lions in the Kruger National Park. The Scar Nose Majingilane. I was privileged to have been working at Londolozi when this coalition moved in and become one of the most dominant forces in recent lion history. Watching them was incredible and this individual inspired me in so many ways. Go well old boy - your name will forever be whispered in legend on the tongues of all guides, trackers and guests who grace your pride lands. RIP

*This image is copyright of its original author
7 users Like Tshokwane's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Credits to Londolozi.

The Scar-Nosed Majingilane has joined two of his brothers in the happy hunting ground in the sky.

The third of this incredible coalition to pass, it has been amazing to see how they have gone out in reverse order of dominance, starting with the Hip Scar male last year.

Only the Dark Maned male, the undisputed ruler of the group, is unaccounted for.

Last seen 72 hours ago on Londolozi and looking incredibly frail, it is entirely possible that he too has met his demise, and the curtain has closed on the reign of one of Africa’s greatest lion coalitions.
6 users Like Tshokwane's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Credits to James Tyrrell - Londolozi.

The sun sets on one of the great lion coalitions of Southern Africa.

The scar-nosed Majingilane (front) is now the third of this illustrious coalition to depart this earth, with the fourth and final male (Dark-maned, middle of these three) still unaccounted for but very possibly dead as well.

There is a lot of social media side-taking when it comes to lions, which I find ironic, as to do what we do to and for sports teams or other athletes in terms of support and idolization really has no place here.

These lions are not superstars.

Our cheering from the sidelines or favouritism in no way prolongs their lives or helps them hunt or reproduce. Despite having the keenest hearing, they are essentially deaf to all that is said about them on blogs, Facebook or Instagram. 
What they SHOULD be lauded for - and I’ll gladly join in and sing their praises here - is their continued legacy as ambassadors for their species.

True icons in a world that, more than ever, needs to recognize the value of its wild places, in which utterly magnificent creatures such as these still roam free.
7 users Like Tshokwane's post

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

Thank you @Leroy for this unique information to us.. And many thanks for joining WildFact.. to have you as member here is great privilege.. hope to see other good information form you in near feature..

United States tsunarto Offline

(04-12-2018, 11:59 AM)Leroy Wrote: As of now, only Dark Mane is left.  Gold Mane nothing confirmed but assumed dead.  Time will tell what happens to him.  Will be in touch if I hear anything.
Do lions prefer to exile themselves when they sense their time is coming so they can die in solitary ?  It baffled me that they were together a lot when in good shape but were separated when in bad shape

South Africa HouseOfLions Offline

(04-12-2018, 06:30 PM)ShakaMapogo Wrote:

Tristan on Safarilive said that he got news that Scar died naturally and then hyenas fed on him..

The picture of the body tells a different story though. Rangers are not always right, especially if they got the info second hand.
1 user Likes HouseOfLions's post