There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 9 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
History's most brutal killers, the Majingilane Male Lions

United States vinodkumarn Offline
Vinod Lion Enthusiast

(04-06-2018, 10:26 PM)NCAT33 Wrote: @1915, do we know who attacked Scar Nose?

I think it was after encounter with Selatis.
In that fight they injured one of the Selatis badly and who died later form the injuries

Argentina Tshokwane Offline
Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 04-07-2018, 12:36 AM by Tshokwane )

(04-06-2018, 10:26 PM)NCAT33 Wrote: do we know who attacked Scar Nose?

A lioness, or many, most likely. This was early in their dominance stage, when they started to push their control over Londolozi.

The pic below is dated 2013, the kid is one of the 6 Sparta young males.

*This image is copyright of its original author
3 users Like Tshokwane's post

Musa15 Offline

Come on Scar Nose, come on Dark Mane. I still have hope that they overcome this and survive.
3 users Like Musa15's post

United States sik94 Offline
Sikander Hayat

(04-06-2018, 07:44 PM)jordi6927 Wrote:
(04-06-2018, 05:22 PM)sik94 Wrote:
(04-06-2018, 01:40 PM)jordi6927 Wrote:
(04-06-2018, 11:47 AM)sik94 Wrote: Since the western is fenced on 3 sides, there is lack of lion traffic in there. The birminghams are in prime and their presence on the only un-fenced side has deterred any young coalition from entering majingalane territory. The three avocas world be perfect candidates to replace the three majingalanes but they will never risk traversing birmingham territory to actually get to the western block. If history is an indicator, the birminghams will be the coalition that will eventually control that territory, given that the birminghams still have unfinished business in the north-east and have shown little interest in the western block territory, the majingalnes have been left to their own devices and left to die of old age. I give it atleast a year before the birminghams seriously start eyeing the western block as a future territory, any coalition that succeeds in occupying it in the mean time will suffer the same fate as the selaties.

Although they are pretty damn strong ... that is a lot of area for 4 BBoys to protect.  I would suspect that they would eventually get separated by distance ((for example that one BB like to stay with that one pride in the south)) resulting in one or two of them getting beat up pretty bad or dying. There will be turmoil in the coming months for sure.

Mfumo has been in MalaMala for a while but the birmingham coalition as a whole have also moved in that general direction. Just yesterday I think all 4 birminghams were together in that general area. Birminghams used to be separated a lot more where you would generally see nsuku and nhena in the north and mfumo and tinyo in the south. They are acting more like a unit now than ever before so getting separated now is very unlikely. For example, three of them made a show of force on djuma after hearing the three avocas vocalizing, then went right back to MalaMala.
That might be the case right now but if they essentially double their reigning territory then that would put a lot of pressure on the BB coalition to protect it all. Habits are hard to break and I would think that since they have separated in the past that they would also separate in the future ... if 3 are up in the Othawa area and 1 (Mfumo) is down in MalaMala then the Avocas could be a thorn in his side. So I have to respectfully disagree and say that I dont see them protecting all of that area ... essentially Im betting on these smart Lions knowing how much land is too much. See how it all goes but its going to be fun to get updates.
Oh yeah, they can't cover that big of an area. But, I was going off the assumption that the birminghams would give up territory in the east as they move in the direction of the western block which we are already seeing happening.
1 user Likes sik94's post

Argentina Tshokwane Offline
Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Credits to Matthew Smith - Kirman's Kamp.

A tribute to the Majingilane... I had followed the story of this mighty coalition long before I became a guide. They are the reason I became obsessed with lion dynamics in this region. 

Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think I'd get to see them, but I will never forget the day that I did!

This pic was taken only a few months ago of the Scar nose male standing proudly in the Sand River looking as impressive as ever. 
I don't know how much longer they have left but their legacy will be remembered forever...
3 users Like Tshokwane's post

United States ShakaMapogo Offline
Scythian

One of the Majingilane have been seen according to Arathusa Safar Lodge this morning trailing the Nkuhuma Pride. Guides have not said which one, but that he is in bad shape.
1 user Likes ShakaMapogo's post

Scythian

It’s Dark Mane on Djuma and Arathusa boundary on Safarilive now. He’s skin and bones....

Scythian

5 users Like ShakaMapogo's post

Musa15 Offline

A sad sight indeed. Poor boy just will not give up, trailling the Pride is his last ditch effort to survive. Hopefully he manages to get some meals in but it's very clear that the glory days are over even if he survies.

I wonder if Scar Nose has made it..
2 users Like Musa15's post

Scythian

(04-08-2018, 09:20 PM)Musa15 Wrote: A sad sight indeed. Poor boy just will not give up, trailling the Pride is his last ditch effort to survive. Hopefully he manages to get some meals in but it's very clear that the glory days are over even if he survies.

From what I’m hearing Scar is gone. But that’s what the Rangers think. Honestly I don’t want them to suffer from old age much longer... it’s painful to see this, I can’t imagine seeing it in real life.

Musa15 Offline

(04-08-2018, 09:26 PM)ShakaMapogo Wrote:
(04-08-2018, 09:20 PM)Musa15 Wrote: A sad sight indeed. Poor boy just will not give up, trailling the Pride is his last ditch effort to survive. Hopefully he manages to get some meals in but it's very clear that the glory days are over even if he survies.

From what I’m hearing Scar is gone. But that’s what the Rangers think. Honestly I don’t want them to suffer from old age much longer... it’s painful to see this, I can’t imagine seeing it in real life.

If Scar is gone(I still had hope he'd survive and reunite with DM) then I'd agree with you. Two old males who can still pick off meals from other scavengers can live a decent life and help eachother. This seperation though has made the suffering much worse, indeed.

I think at some point when they got seperated and deteriorated both were too weakened to roar hard enough and reach eachother's ears. We'll never know why they got seperated in the first place.

At this point maybe I would be selfish rooting for their survival at this condition. But there's nothing we can do either way.
2 users Like Musa15's post

Scythian

(04-08-2018, 09:35 PM)Musa15 Wrote:
(04-08-2018, 09:26 PM)ShakaMapogo Wrote:

If Scar is gone(I still had hope he'd survive and reunite with DM) then I'd agree with you. Two old males who can still pick off meals from other scavengers can live a decent life and help eachother. This seperation though has made the suffering much worse, indeed.

I think at some point when they got seperated and deteriorated both were too weakened to roar hard enough and reach eachother's ears. We'll never know why they got seperated in the first place.

At this point maybe I would be selfish rooting for their survival at this condition. But there's nothing we can do either way.
Yeah I agree with you... I wish if Scar is alive to find each other but seeing where DM is now, that is hard. Anyway, I just hope they do not suffer much longer.

United States sik94 Offline
Sikander Hayat

To be honest, one meal is all DM needs to be back searching for his brothers in their territory. He's skinny but atleast still mobile and not injured. The end is near though.
2 users Like sik94's post

jordi6927 Offline
( This post was last modified: 04-09-2018, 02:28 AM by Tshokwane )

(04-08-2018, 09:10 PM)ShakaMapogo Wrote:

I kind of wish he would die over near the Mhangeni group so he would feed them on his way out ... the old boy has had a Kings life! Much respect DM  .
1 user Likes jordi6927's post

Brazil T Rabbit Offline

Maybe this is the last time we see dark mane. The lead of the majingilane coalition.
3 users Like T Rabbit's post