There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 9 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
History's most brutal killers, the Majingilane Male Lions

Musa15 Offline

(04-09-2018, 02:06 AM)T Rabbit Wrote: Maybe this is the last time we see dark mane. The lead of the majingilane coalition.

In a way it's fitting that he's the last man standing isn't it.
3 users Like Musa15's post

Morocco Amayas Offline

(04-09-2018, 02:09 AM)Musa15 Wrote:
(04-09-2018, 02:06 AM)T Rabbit Wrote: Maybe this is the last time we see dark mane. The lead of the majingilane coalition.

In a way it's fitting that he's the last man standing isn't it.
In parallel with the Mapogos. The leader sees everyone off.
3 users Like Amayas's post

Argentina Tshokwane Offline
Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Credits to Dulini.

Majingilane Update:

Today, 'Dark Mane' was observed in the Chitwa Chitwa / Djuma Lodge area and from the images that were broadcast on 'Safari Live', he appears to be quite frail.

Considering that this Majestic King is upwards of 14 years old, it may not be long before we lose him and his other coalition partners.

As sad and tragic as it is to see the end of their reign as mighty rulers of their domain, we'll remember this powerful coalition for a long time.

Perhaps we can find comfort knowing that their spirit and influence will be felt for generations in lion prides and coalitions.

We'll update as we learn more.
4 users Like Tshokwane's post

Brazil T Rabbit Offline

Amayas , Musa15 yes looks like the leaders were the last survivors of both coalitions. Makulu and DM. Is very sad that now this page of the majingilane lions will not have much more updates as in the past. The coalition is ending forever and no more new histories will be told here with the time. I hope bboys arrived in the west to finished the sad emptyness of the majingilanes end. 
4 users Like T Rabbit's post

United States Tsl03 Offline
New Join

(04-09-2018, 05:04 AM)T Rabbit Wrote: Amayas , Musa15 yes looks like the leaders were the last survivors of both coalitions. Makulu and DM. Is very sad that now this page of the majingilane lions will not have much more updates as in the past. The coalition is ending forever and no more new histories will be told here with the time. I hope bboys arrived in the west to finished the sad emptyness of the majingilanes end. 

I hope the BBoys come later. The Mhangenis and Othawa boy need more time.
3 users Like Tsl03's post

South Africa HouseOfLions Offline

(04-09-2018, 05:04 AM)T Rabbit Wrote: Amayas , Musa15 yes looks like the leaders were the last survivors of both coalitions. Makulu and DM. Is very sad that now this page of the majingilane lions will not have much more updates as in the past. The coalition is ending forever and no more new histories will be told here with the time. I hope bboys arrived in the west to finished the sad emptyness of the majingilanes end. 

Mak wasn't the leader when they were dispelled by the Selati's, T was. Mak was once the leader, yes, but that changed. He was the oldest and lived the longest. The final Mapogo leader went down with his ship.
3 users Like HouseOfLions's post

Morocco Amayas Offline

Does anyone know if their name means something or if it was just coined?
1 user Likes Amayas's post

New Zealand KGB_lion Offline

(04-09-2018, 12:27 PM)Amayas Wrote: Does anyone know if their name means something or if it was just coined?

The name 'Majingilane' was coined with reference to watchmen who patrol the night, marching with intent, never altering their course.

http://blog.londolozi.com/2011/03/02/the-lions-the-majingilane-coalition/
3 users Like KGB_lion's post

Morocco Amayas Offline

(04-09-2018, 03:20 PM)KGB_lion Wrote: The name 'Majingilane' was coined with reference to watchmen who patrol the night, marching with intent, never altering their course.

http://blog.londolozi.com/2011/03/02/the-lions-the-majingilane-coalition/

I read that before but didn't really understand. Does the word somehow mean 'watchmen who patrol...' or is it just a random set of syllables?
2 users Like Amayas's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

(04-09-2018, 03:43 PM)Amayas Wrote: Does the word somehow mean 'watchmen who patrol...' or is it just a random set of syllables?

I think it has to mean that in some native language, although I've never seen it referenced to a certain language, Londolozi didn't say and I haven't seen it explained in the other blogs.

As a reference for this kind of naming, look at the names of the Birmingham males, all have some meaning in that native language.

Either way, the name Majingilane is cool.

New Zealand KGB_lion Offline
( This post was last modified: 04-09-2018, 06:08 PM by KGB_lion )

(04-09-2018, 05:47 PM)Tshokwane Wrote:
(04-09-2018, 03:43 PM)Amayas Wrote: Does the word somehow mean 'watchmen who patrol...' or is it just a random set of syllables?

I think it has to mean that in some native language, although I've never seen it referenced to a certain language, Londolozi didn't say and I haven't seen it explained in the other blogs.

As a reference for this kind of naming, look at the names of the Birmingham males, all have some meaning in that native language.

I think the Birmingham's (their natal pride) takes their name from the farm(named Birmingham) near the southern end of Timbavati reserve. Not sure if it has some meaning in the native language though or if it's just simply taken from the UK city.
2 users Like KGB_lion's post

United States ShakaMapogo Offline
Scythian

(04-09-2018, 06:07 PM)KGB_lion Wrote:
(04-09-2018, 05:47 PM)Tshokwane Wrote:

I think the Birmingham's (their natal pride) takes their name from the farm(named Birmingham) near the southern end of Timbavati reserve. Not sure if it has some meaning in the native language though or if it's just simply taken from the UK city.

Nsuku, Nhenha, Tinyo and Mfumo are their individual names which have meaning in Tsonga
2 users Like ShakaMapogo's post

Brazil T Rabbit Offline

We were the marchers. Our advance was imposing and determined. That's why they call us that. We found this land a long time ago. We were greeted in the most hostile way. The warriors of the mlowathi massacred our brother in the dawn light.
  But we were the night walkers. imposing advance in the search of our brother. We revenge him eating the heart of the assassin stare. The mohawk warrior gave us the trail to the treasures of sabi sands and we started our numerous offspring
  shrouded by the darkness of night we destroyd many enemies in our imposing march. we were like ghost in the landscape. Patrolling the dark nights; marching with intent and chasing all those unwanted into the shadows…those that do not run were removed and their hearts eaten. I am the last survivor of the majingilanes

8 users Like T Rabbit's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

A little bit of a throwback with some of the lads and the then young Kambula/Ntsevu girls and the older Mangheni males.

Credits to Dylan Brandt, Singita Sabi Sand, February 2014.

The Manghene pride have been spending quality time on Singita with the males in tow. What a sight to see the entire pride with the males all walking down the road toward us.

*This image is copyright of its original author
7 users Like Tshokwane's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

I was just reading a study on masculinity and manhood rites of passage, and a paragraph took my attention, and made me think of the lads.

Becoming a Man: By William Buckner.

In his book How Can I Get Through To You? (2002), author Terrence Real describes visiting a remote village of Maasai pastoralists in Tanzania. Real asked the village elders (all male) what makes a good warrior and a good man. After a vibrant discussion, one of the oldest males stood up and told Real;

I refuse to tell you what makes a good morani [warrior]. But I will tell you what makes a great morani. When the moment calls for fierceness a good morani is very ferocious. And when the moment calls for kindness, a good morani is utterly tender. Now, what makes a great morani is knowing which moment is which! (Real, 64)