There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 9 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
History's most brutal killers, the Majingilane Male Lions

Argentina Tshokwane Offline
Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 04-24-2015, 04:34 PM by Tshokwane )

The Selati were outnumbered in just the last fight. They were initially five and the Majingilane killed one of them. Then in 2012 the four Selati conquered the Mapogo territory and they never beat the Majingilane in a fight. Of course, the Majingis had little interest in attacking them because they already had an immense territory. Then one of the Selati died some time after being injured by a buffalo and they were down to three. So the Majingilane took their chance, killed one of the three and defeated them.
Also, back to 2010, after the killing of Kinky tail, Mr.T run away to his brothers and he brought them to face the Majingis. So, the five powerful and experienced Mapogo against the four youngsters. ¿What was the result? Rasta dead, and Pretty boy injured in his spine, giving him the nick name of Bent spine.

France vizions Offline
Lion Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 04-24-2015, 05:23 PM by sanjay )

Lot of mistakes in your post. You should try to read more before assuming so many things.

When the 5 selatis first met the Majinginlanes, they were still sub-adults (3.5 years old). They didn't have a chance at all.

*This image is copyright of its original author

Do you think he had a chance against 3 adults male?

And then, in 2014 they were 3 separate fights where 4 Majin caught one selatis each time. Selati #4 got caught in first, then Selati #1, then Selati #3 died after the 3rd encounter. The selatis were outnumbered in all the fights.

And then, for your record², only 2 Mapogos were involve in the 2nd Mapogo-Majin fight. Only rasta and PB were fighting the Majingilanes at Elephant Plains. Makulu, T and Dreadlocks didn't have any signs of a fight on them the next days.
And if you thinks 4 Majin would have beat the 5 Mapogos in this fight, well.....

8 users Like vizions's post

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

@vizions , I edited your last sentence, Please don't be rude with any newcomers. Instead try to educate them with your known facts. Hope you understand.
2 users Like sanjay's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

It's ok @sanjay, it doesn't bother me. @vizions I was aware of what you're telling me in both the Selati and Mapogo fights.
In the first posts of this thread, Spalea talked about the bond the males have, calling them a "gang".
This is how Lions fight. There is a reason why a lone male will have a difficult time conquering a new territory on his own. That's why, if he doesn't have brothers or cousins, he will bond with other young males. Then they will have much more opportunities of defeating resident males.
We all know how brave, arrogant and confident a male lion in his prime is, the cases of Kinky tail and Mr.T show this, the same could be said of Rasta and Pretty boy. They chose to charge alone, or at least without waiting for their brothers maybe because they were confident enough, they were in their prime.
On the other side, it is clear that the Majingilane know they are stronger when they are together, and a clear sign of this is the way they managed their territory now that they're old. Instead of separate and patrol each on their own a part of their massive territory, which surely would have cost one of them their lives, they chose to stay together. They left a part of their territory, and some prides, and retreated to a smaller portion of territory.
They stick together and this, regardless of their individual strenght, is what makes them one of the most successful Coalition/gangs of male Lions.

4 users Like Tshokwane's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(04-24-2015, 08:08 PM)'Majingilane' Wrote: It's ok @sanjay, it doesn't bother me. @vizions I was aware of what you're telling me in both the Selati and Mapogo fights.
In the first posts of this thread, Spalea talked about the bond the males have, calling them a "gang".
This is how Lions fight. There is a reason why a lone male will have a difficult time conquering a new territory on his own. That's why, if he doesn't have brothers or cousins, he will bond with other young males. Then they will have much more opportunities of defeating resident males.
We all know how brave, arrogant and confident a male lion in his prime is, the cases of Kinky tail and Mr.T show this, the same could be said of Rasta and Pretty boy. They chose to charge alone, or at least without waiting for their brothers maybe because they were confident enough, they were in their prime.
On the other side, it is clear that the Majingilane know they are stronger when they are together, and a clear sign of this is the way they managed their territory now that they're old. Instead of separate and patrol each on their own a part of their massive territory, which surely would have cost one of them their lives, they chose to stay together. They left a part of their territory, and some prides, and retreated to a smaller portion of territory.
They stick together and this, regardless of their individual strenght, is what makes them one of the most successful Coalition/gangs of male Lions.

I have found it to be rare to see caolition battles of numerous members, I usually see one member of a coalition being defeated by new intruders. I remember Serengetti Lions studied by packer, where they ruled large territories multiple prides and the males would be off tending to different prides and rarely together. It cost one of the males his life and the other wasn't seen.

Its been proven that lions can count and I think that with lions its the same as with humans, some are braver than others. While one lion will face numerous foes at once another lion will simply abandon his territory. Its been proven with packers dummy tests as well,  for a male lion to run from any intruder most likely means he is abanding his territory to them or will be in the long run. So the bravest will "go down on their shield" so to speak, others will not. 

2 users Like Pckts's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

(04-24-2015, 09:50 PM)'Pckts' Wrote:
(04-24-2015, 08:08 PM)'Majingilane' Wrote: It's ok @sanjay, it doesn't bother me. @vizions I was aware of what you're telling me in both the Selati and Mapogo fights.

I have found it to be rare to see caolition battles of numerous members, I usually see one member of a coalition being defeated by new intruders. I remember Serengetti Lions studied by packer, where they ruled large territories multiple prides and the males would be off tending to different prides and rarely together. It cost one of the males his life and the other wasn't seen.

Its been proven that lions can count and I think that with lions its the same as with humans, some are braver than others. While one lion will face numerous foes at once another lion will simply abandon his territory. Its been proven with packers dummy tests as well,  for a male lion to run from any intruder most likely means he is abanding his territory to them or will be in the long run. So the bravest will "go down on their shield" so to speak, others will not. 

Maybe it has to do with how strong the bond between the males is, but I think that if a male is caught alone by the other coalition is just by chance or the males deliberatly separated him from the others, trying to have a numerical advantage.

3 users Like Tshokwane's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

Maybe, but roar tests done by packer had males abandon territories if the roar outnumbered the lions. Dummy tests have seen blonde males very tentatively approach unknown males and not engage at all while a darker maned male immediately ran to the dummy and began to attack. These males where of the same family, packer studied this as well.
Great doc to watch is IQ: Lion vs Hyenna if you want to check it out. 
I think you'll enjoy it. 
4 users Like Pckts's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Yes, I think I saw it one time. I also have a pdf that talks about coalitions and if the mane is a big factor in fights or not. 
And from the dummy test, they saw that the resident males attacked first the smaller male, or the male with the short and blond mane, rather than the male with a dark mane. It's really interesting how complex male lions are.

2 users Like Tshokwane's post

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

So, here is the same video(see post no. 5 on 1st page by me) but with different angle. Majingilane male lions Killing the sub adult male Lion.

3 users Like sanjay's post

Spalea Online
Wildanimal Lover

A lion's life wiped out in few minutes... Disturbing.
2 users Like Spalea's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

What is a cub to do?
Not old enough to survive on its own and only a matter of time before the new males turn on it.
Very sad, but its nature.
1 user Likes Pckts's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

(04-27-2015, 10:58 AM)'sanjay' Wrote: So, here is the same video(see post no. 5 on 1st page by me) but with different angle. Majingilane male lions Killing the sub adult male Lion.

It's clear that in this sub-adult the Majingilane were still seeing the Selati males, which shows how strong their drive to wipe out the competition is. I find interesting the patience the had to kill this male, especially considering that they conquered this pride almost a year ago.

1 user Likes Tshokwane's post

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

@Pckts i have read that a test done by a scientist in packers team did a similar test and that lionesses would call for back up if it outnumberd or even numbers, while males could aproatch even outnumberd 3 to one. Porobably because he has so much to lose! 
2 users Like Pantherinae's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

(04-28-2015, 05:22 PM)'Pantherinae' Wrote: @Pckts i have read that a test done by a scientist in packers team did a similar test and that lionesses would call for back up if it outnumberd or even numbers, while males could aproatch even outnumberd 3 to one. Porobably because he has so much to lose! 

When packer would play the sounds of a pride larger than the one in place, the entire pride that was there would leave. 
Males and females included, they would abandon ship.

When the dummy test was deployed with a single male dummy and a pair, the blonde haired male was extremely hesitant to approach, never attacked and in fact the female was extremely turned on. She even chased the car that was carrying the dummy becasue she loved the dark haired male, when the tables were turned, the dark male went straight in and attacked the dummy and his female went straight for the throat bite. They werent satisfied until the dummy was completely destroyed. 

Packers tests have been pretty conclusive when it comes to these outcomes. 

3 users Like Pckts's post

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

*This image is copyright of its original author

3 users Like Pantherinae's post