There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Great One-Horned Rhinocerous (Rhinocerous unicornis)

India parvez Offline
Tiger enthusiast

More pictures,

*This image is copyright of its original author

6 users Like parvez's post

India parvez Offline
Tiger enthusiast

Nepal rhino,

4 users Like parvez's post

India parvez Offline
Tiger enthusiast

More from Nepal,

2 users Like parvez's post

India parvez Offline
Tiger enthusiast

Manas rhinos,

India brotherbear Offline
Grizzly Enthusiast

The great Indian rhinoceros has always been among my favorite animals, even from early childhood. I love rhino's in general, but this Indian giant, whose size rivals the giant African white rhinoceros, fascinates me. It's his unique appearance - like a man-made military tank. Also the fact that he enjoys being near or in water much more than Africa's rhinos which adapted to a dryer environment. I have to wonder how he would get along with the hippopotamus if they were thrown in the mix together. I love all of these great pics you are sharing parvez.
2 users Like brotherbear's post

India parvez Offline
Tiger enthusiast

Absolutely Brotherbear, some of the Greeks said this animal to be the original king of beasts. They were fascinated by the strength of this beast. Even in roman games, this rhino was famous for flinging away bears in combat i am sorry to say like this but i am saying fact. No offense here. The base of their horns is very strong that it can bring down sometimes bigger plants and even some small trees with the help of horns. It truely is a magnificent animal. I think with his horn he will defeat the hippos before the hippo can deliver a fatal bite to him IMO.
1 user Likes parvez's post

India parvez Offline
Tiger enthusiast

Another article by NGC on their behaviour,

Behavior and Diet
Like other rhinos, these animals have sharp hearing and a keen sense of smell. They may find one another by following the trail of scent each enormous animal leaves behind it on the landscape. An Indian rhino can move very quickly when aroused. Their charges have been clocked at 30 miles an hour. Despite their bulk, they are nimble and can jump or change direction quickly.
The Indian rhino is a grazer that travels established, tunnel-like paths through its tall-grass habitat. It grasps tall grasses with its prehensile lip. In addition to grass, rhinos eat fruit, leaves, and sometimes farm crops. They are often around water and sometimes consume aquatic plants. These animals forage in the cooler temps of morning and afternoon to avoid exerting themselves in the debilitating midday heat. When the sun is high, they often wallow or submerge themselves in water.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/mammals/i/indian-rhinoceros/

Grizzly Enthusiast

(01-07-2018, 07:43 PM)parvez Wrote: Absolutely Brotherbear, some of the Greeks said this animal to be the original king of beasts. They were fascinated by the strength of this beast. Even in roman games, this rhino was famous for flinging away bears in combat i am sorry to say like this but i am saying fact. No offense here. The base of their horns is very strong that it can bring down sometimes bigger plants and even some small trees with the help of horns. It truely is a magnificent animal. I think with his horn he will defeat the hippos before the hippo can deliver a fatal bite to him IMO.

I know it's true parvez. It's all in the book: THE BEAR - History of a Fallen King by Michel Pastoureau. 
There is a chapter all about the Roman Circus Games. Pitting a bear ( grizzly ) against a rhinoceros was a one-time event. It went very poorly for the bear indeed.
2 users Like brotherbear's post

India parvez Offline
Tiger enthusiast

(01-07-2018, 08:02 PM)brotherbear Wrote:
(01-07-2018, 07:43 PM)parvez Wrote: Absolutely Brotherbear, some of the Greeks said this animal to be the original king of beasts. They were fascinated by the strength of this beast. Even in roman games, this rhino was famous for flinging away bears in combat i am sorry to say like this but i am saying fact. No offense here. The base of their horns is very strong that it can bring down sometimes bigger plants and even some small trees with the help of horns. It truely is a magnificent animal. I think with his horn he will defeat the hippos before the hippo can deliver a fatal bite to him IMO.

I know it's true parvez. It's all in the book: THE BEAR - History of a Fallen King by Michel Pastoureau. 
There is a chapter all about the Roman Circus Games. Pitting a bear ( grizzly ) against a rhinoceros was a one-time event. It went very poorly for the bear indeed.

Thanks. I like this spirit  Like

India parvez Offline
Tiger enthusiast

Symbiotic relation:

4. Mutualism between rhinoceros and ox-pecker Rhinoceros and ox-peckers are found in very good association in Chitwan National Park area of Nepal. It is very interesting to observe the close association between the huge bodied rhino and the comparatively very small sized ox-pecker, which is a bird. The association between these two different species of nature helps both of them giving the example of mutualism. Ox-pecker lives frequently on the back of the huge body of rhino and cleans ticks off their hides (Figure 11). So rhinoceros is benefitted by ox-pecker both for being helped to get rid of the ectoparasites like ticks. In addition to it rhinos also get help from ox-peckers which give the early warning if predators are approaching. On the other hand, ox-peckers are also benefitted from the Rhino as they get the opportunity to burrow into the sores of rhino where from they get more tasty treats. Ox-peckers get the benefit of using both the tick's and the host's blood as food sources. Due to this habit of ox-peckers, they are also known as "Vampire birds" by the biologists. By the method of animal association rhinoceros use to tolerate these vampire birds just for exchanging mutual help among each other.
http://www.alliedacademies.org/articles/...-nepal.pdf

India parvez Offline
Tiger enthusiast

Documentary on One horned rhino,

3 users Like parvez's post

India parvez Offline
Tiger enthusiast

Listen the first two minutes. Even in sanskrit, it is described as lord of the jungle. That itself speaks of it's legend.

India parvez Offline
Tiger enthusiast

I prefer to classify the rhino horns as follows
1.Which are longer or equal to the length of their ears - Very impressive
2.Slightly lesser than the length of their ears - Impressive
3.Lesser than length of their ears - Not as impressive
4.Much lesser than length of their ears - Least impressive.

Grizzly Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 01-07-2018, 10:07 PM by brotherbear )

Very good documentary parvez. Tiger enthusiasts would like it too as it has quite a bit to say concerning the big cat. A nice introduction to the wilds of India. Thumbs up. 
I will edit and say: I will watch the other documentary soon.
1 user Likes brotherbear's post

India parvez Offline
Tiger enthusiast

An insight into how these animals maintained high genetic variation despite their genetic bottle neck of around 21 individuals in chitwan in 1962,

3 users Like parvez's post