There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 3.75 Average
Felids Interactions - Interspecific Conflicts

Russian Federation AlexE Offline
Watchlisted Member
( This post was last modified: 04-28-2018, 06:45 PM by AlexE )

Coyote/Bobcat vs Mountain lion

3 users Like AlexE's post

Watchlisted Member
( This post was last modified: 04-29-2018, 06:57 AM by Rishi )

~ Sometimes the Mountain Lion wins, sometimes the Deer wins, but every once in a while NO ONE WINS. An exceptional photograph by Jeffrey Muratore. ~

https://www.facebook.com/268871353537/ph...=3&theater

*This image is copyright of its original author

similar situation

Wolf killed by deer: http://nvk-online.ru/fotofakt-olen-ubil-...oboditsya/
4 users Like AlexE's post

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

@AlexE
If possible, post those article from other website here and also translate it into english so that we all can understand
1 user Likes sanjay's post

Watchlisted Member

(04-28-2018, 11:53 PM)sanjay Wrote: @AlexE
If possible, post those article from other website here and also translate it into english so that we all can understand

http://nvk-online.ru/fotofakt-olen-ubil-...oboditsya/ Russian translate into english?
1 user Likes AlexE's post

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

(04-29-2018, 12:08 AM)AlexE Wrote: Russian translate into english?
Yes, I have personally seen so many Russian articles that are very rare and unique, I use sometime google translator but it does not convert it well
2 users Like sanjay's post

United States ShereKhan Offline
Banned

(04-28-2018, 11:40 AM)Rishi Wrote: Can somebody explain this? 
The incident took place in Ngorongoro Crater.
The dog could be rabied... Do lions recognise rabies instinctively?

That's a really misleading title. Those lions barely moved form their spot. There was no "chasing" at all. It's almost like the lions were familiar with the dog. They look at each other like "WTF is this guy doing?"
2 users Like ShereKhan's post

Watchlisted Member
( This post was last modified: 04-29-2018, 11:28 AM by AlexE )

(04-29-2018, 12:52 AM)sanjay Wrote:
(04-29-2018, 12:08 AM)AlexE Wrote: Russian translate into english?
Yes, I have personally seen so many Russian articles that are very rare and unique, I use sometime google translator but it does not convert it well

Wolf was killed by deer (stabbed with horns). Deer could not get rid of dead wolf and die.
2 users Like AlexE's post

Watchlisted Member
( This post was last modified: 04-29-2018, 03:30 PM by AlexE )

Corrected

Snow leopard vs wolves

Two wolves attack snow leopard, 2 wolves were killed by snow leopard, snow leopard was injured by wolves. Then  he was attacked by the others wolves (were there more than 2 wolves). Others two wolves were killed by snow leopard and snow leopard died after a fight. 4 dead wolves and 1 snow leopard.

I don't know much english. Short translation of russian to english.

https://www.proza.ru/2002/04/25-20

Similar situation. http://www.people.com.cn/GB/channel4/966...79888.html 

Panther can kill several canids. There is a lot of information.

I'd like to see snow leopard vs wolf. 

Wolves and jackals were killed and eaten by Persian leopards. http://tass.ru/v-strane/3705028

Snow leopard wins vs wolf. Wolf ran away from snow leopard. https://www.kuban.kp.ru/daily/26752.4/3781435/

3 users Like AlexE's post

Watchlisted Member

Leopard almost attacks hyena. Female leopard drops a big hyena to the ground. I'm sure that even the female leopard can kill a hyena. 

2 users Like AlexE's post

Czech Republic Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

@AlexE :

About #264: "Leopard almost attacks hyena. Female leopard drops a big hyena to the ground. I'm sure that even the female leopard can kill a hyena".

Of course she can. Especially when she had to protect her cub(s). But it is dangerous, the leopard, being a solitary predator, cannot afford to be wounded. And a big female hyena's weight clearly outweighs the female leopard's weight.
1 user Likes Spalea's post

Watchlisted Member
( This post was last modified: 04-30-2018, 02:48 PM by Rishi )

(04-29-2018, 02:45 PM)Spalea Wrote: @AlexE :

About #264: "Leopard almost attacks hyena. Female leopard drops a big hyena to the ground. I'm sure that even the female leopard can kill a hyena".

Of course she can. Especially when she had to protect her cub(s). But it is dangerous, the leopard, being a solitary predator, cannot afford to be wounded. And a big female hyena's weight clearly outweighs the female leopard's weight.

Big female african leopard can reach upto 60 kg and big female hyena 65 kg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spotted_hyena
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leopard

Czech Republic Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

@AlexE :

About #266: "Big female african leopard 60 kg and big female hyena 60-70 kg".

OK if you want to haggle, by reading your own links : as concerns the leopard "females weigh 28–60 kg (62–132 lb)", and the spotted hyena: "while females weigh 44.5–63.9 kg (98–141 lb) (Serengeti), in Zambia tend to be heavier, with males weighing on average 67.6 kg (149 lb), and females 69.2 kg (153 lb) and "Exceptionally large weights of 81.7 kg (180 lb)[9] and 90 kg (198 lb)".

Thus: average weight of a female leopard: 44 kilos ((28 +60)/2 = 44)
Average weight of a female spotted hyena: at last 57 kilos ((44.5+70)/2 = 57,25). But I can easyly admit a 60-65 kilos value.

So yes, a spotted hyena is clearly heavier than a female leopard (+25%). If you prefer the biggest female leopard against the slightest adult spotted hyena... You could be right.

Even if I was agree with your assumption before (A female leopard being able to kill a hyena if she really had to.

Watchlisted Member
( This post was last modified: 04-29-2018, 07:09 PM by AlexE )

(04-29-2018, 04:21 PM)Spalea Wrote: @AlexE :

About #266: "Big female african leopard 60 kg and big female hyena 60-70 kg".

OK if you want to haggle, by reading your own links : as concerns the leopard "females weigh 28–60 kg (62–132 lb)", and the spotted hyena: "while females weigh 44.5–63.9 kg (98–141 lb) (Serengeti), in Zambia tend to be heavier, with males weighing on average 67.6 kg (149 lb), and females 69.2 kg (153 lb) and "Exceptionally large weights of 81.7 kg (180 lb)[9] and 90 kg (198 lb)".

Thus: average weight of a female leopard: 44 kilos ((28 +60)/2 = 44)
Average weight of a female spotted hyena: at last 57 kilos ((44.5+70)/2 = 57,25). But I can easyly admit a 60-65 kilos value.

So yes, a spotted hyena is clearly heavier than a female leopard (+25%). If you prefer the biggest female leopard against the slightest adult spotted hyena... You could be right.

Even if I was agree with your assumption before (A female leopard being able to kill a hyena if she really had to.

Female spotted hyena in the Serengeti weighs up to 63.9 kg. Female leopard weighs up to 60 kg. 63,9 kg and 60 kg (3,9 kg). Hyenas in the Zambia are larger. Exceptionally large weights of 81.7 kg. I agree that big female hyena larger than big female leopard in Zambia.
and I know that hyena powerful animal
Even stripped hyena is stronger than any wolf

Watchlisted Member

Leopards Meets Bear at Yala National Park

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

Guys, cool down
This is not fighting thread... You can open a new thread somewhere else to discuss your issues.. but that should also be done respectfully
3 users Like sanjay's post