There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4.75 Average
Comparing Cats: A Discussion of Similarities & Differences

Rishi Offline
Moderators

*This image is copyright of its original author

4 users Like Rishi's post

Rishi Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 05-13-2018, 06:36 AM by Rishi )

!dea is from a carnivoraforum image that came up on Google...

While there is no way to know their real sizes compared to each other, i had to make do with the assumption, that their eyes & noises are similarly sized.
Umarpani has his head slightly lowered while Dark Mane's was straight.

Also.. I don't know when that photo of Dark Mane was taken. As it probably wasn't from his prime, anybody with such image in same posture, feel free to PM me!
3 users Like Rishi's post

United Kingdom Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

@Rishi :

About #58: no contest, this picture of Dark Mane isn't the best one... Too ascetic, not on his top form, I'm sure the lions can do much better !

I wanted to post a photo of Earless (for example) close to the Umarpani's one, but I cannot, for the moment. To be continued...
1 user Likes Spalea's post

Venezuela epaiva Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 05-01-2018, 10:28 PM by epaiva )

African Lion paw
Credit to @wonderofnature

4 users Like epaiva's post

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

As Rishi I tried to make a comparison of a male lion and a male tiger walking side by side. And it's a difficult job.. because the photo angles must be somewhat similar. Wasn't easy to find the pictures, but they where the best I could find. 

The head of the lion is taller just because the posture is different and the lion has its head raised a little more.
3 users Like Pantherinae's post

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 05-15-2018, 09:39 PM by Pantherinae )

Here is a side by side basic comparison between Umarpani and Earless (without no known measurements, so it's just a guess) tried to get same height at the shoulders. Sadly Uma seems empty while Earless is quite full, but I could not find two pictures of two respected males whom, we all know are big boys that was this perfectly angled with each others 
6 users Like Pantherinae's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

Maybe rotate this one?
He's a little younger here (taken in late summer 2015 but could still work)

Him this past Feb.
Not quite side profile though, but still a good shot of him closer to empty.

Boxernose actually looks larger in frame than Earless here, but could be camera angle.

2 users Like Pckts's post

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

@Pckts the problem with the images is that they aren't in a straight line. Earless in 2015 was way to young to be compared to a dominant Kanha male tiger, And the second picture I'm 99% sure isn't Earless, seems way to slender buildt to be him and I think I can see the left ear. So it was very hard to find a perfect picture of Earless empty, but luckily I found a perfect picture of a full Umarpani!
5 users Like Pantherinae's post

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 05-16-2018, 12:49 AM by Pckts )

That's Earless @Pantherinae 

Here you go..
Matira Magazin
++Maasai Mara Lions++
Earless seen with the lower Hamerkop males near maji ya fisi. The two Hamerkop males where feasting on a buffalo while mighty Earless was also there, watching , and he didn't try to go to the kill.

https://www.facebook.com/Earless-Male-Li...485827179/

Here are the two other males feasting on the Buffalo

A full belly and flattering angle can always make a large male seem monstrous as you know.
3 users Like Pckts's post

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

@Pckts  I agree that it looks a bit like Earless and have quite a similar face pattern as well, but that's not Earless. 

The male on the picture that seems like Earless is probably one of the Hammerkop males (most likely the one in the first picture) here I have put two pictures of Earless taken previously to the picture in question. and while it's a bit unclear if you study the face you can still see some scars and markings as well as facial structure that are different. 

First you have the slim dark line coming from the (hammerkop) male that isn't present with Earless 
Then you have the scar on Earless on his upper jaw that isn't present with the other male 
Third you have the nose: look at the nostrils of Earless, he has long dark nostrils that is stretching out. the male in question doesn't. The dark line from from his nose to his mouth is also shorter with Earless
Last the (hammerkop) male has a full set of teeth in his under jaw while Earless is missing two. 

Btw found this great quite recent picture of Earless (more empty) a very solid buildt lion for sure! Now he's one of the biggest males in the Mara. 

Hope this was okey. :) great talking to you again Pckts!
1 user Likes Pantherinae's post

United Kingdom Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

About #61 #62 #63 #64: Tell me ! This wasn't a bad feeling to have been impressed by Earless at first ? An other big challenge even for the tiger Umarpani would be this photo of lion recently posted at the "lion directory" topic:

https://wildfact.com/forum/topic-lion-directory?page=14
at #206...

I know... I say that without knowing this lion's dimensions, but only by seeing this photo. Like Earless his body is dense and compact.

2 users Like Spalea's post

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

The two kings of India on a road trip! 

Asiatic male lion and a male Bengal tiger. 

(No known measurements from these individuals just scaled by shoulder height)
2 users Like Pantherinae's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

You're probably right @Pantherinae 
That image doesn't look exactly earless, here's a couple I found of him closer to Empty but still not a good side profile image.

Nistar PS
Earless, son of Notch (the legendary Lion king)

here's a video of him looking a little beat up as well but good side profile

Dawn Jeanette Kelly Elizabeth George our beautiful Earless is ok.it looks like he has been in a fight 
? but I’m just so happy he is ok.all we need now is for Notch 2 to show his beautiful face.and Boxernose to go back home to Earless.wishing that will happen soon 
❤️
❤️
❤️

Here he is mating with a full belly, looking healthy like a tank.

3 users Like Pckts's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

I've compared these two before but figured I'd show them here as well..
Both with little body fat

2 users Like Pckts's post

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 05-17-2018, 07:32 AM by Pantherinae )

Asiatic male lion with a male Bengal tiger full frame comparison.

Again scaled based on equal shoulder height. No real measurements known by the individuals
1 user Likes Pantherinae's post