There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
Coalitions of Kruger National Park

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(04-04-2024, 02:51 PM)Brahimlegend Wrote: @BA0701 Think he was darted because he was blocking traffic they may have euthanised him. Haven't seen sightings of him since that day nobody's heard anything yet.

Wait, what? Is such a think legal in Kruger? Wtf?
2 users Like Potato's post

Netherlands Duco Ndona Online
Contributor

He probably wasnt moving on on his own so they probably grew concerned about accidents.

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator
( This post was last modified: 04-04-2024, 06:39 PM by BA0701 )

(04-04-2024, 05:04 PM)Potato Wrote:
(04-04-2024, 02:51 PM)Brahimlegend Wrote: @BA0701 Think he was darted because he was blocking traffic they may have euthanised him. Haven't seen sightings of him since that day nobody's heard anything yet.

Wait, what? Is such a think legal in Kruger? Wtf?

I can't speak to what happened here, only to say if he was that sick, I honestly don't take issue with them ending his suffering. I don't know if it is illegal or not in Kruger, but we saw the darting/euthanizing of Sassy in SS, and this sounds similar.

Thank you for that update, @"Brahimlegend"
1 user Likes BA0701's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(04-04-2024, 06:06 PM)BA0701 Wrote: I can't speak to what happened here, only to say if he was that sick, I honestly don't take issue with them ending his suffering.
Me too, but euthanizing healty animal just because he is blocking trafic is a whole different story.
3 users Like Potato's post

Super Moderator

(04-04-2024, 08:27 PM)Potato Wrote:
(04-04-2024, 06:06 PM)BA0701 Wrote: I can't speak to what happened here, only to say if he was that sick, I honestly don't take issue with them ending his suffering.
Me too, but euthanizing healty animal just because he is blocking trafic is a whole different story.

Oh, I am totally on board with that, my friend, if they euthanized an animal for something like that that would be a big problem. Though, I am not sure that is what happened here, at least from what I take from the story so far, sounds like he was very ill, and possibly that is why he was blocking traffic.
2 users Like BA0701's post

United States kobe8jf1234 Offline

(04-04-2024, 03:01 PM)Brahimlegend Wrote: 1/3 S79 males who rule N'watimhiri pride.
Credit: Sydney fletcher

these boys should have some big sons by now aright in the N'watimhiri pride. they been pride males for while 
2 users Like kobe8jf1234's post

Netherlands Duco Ndona Online
Contributor

I fully believe its becouse they didnt want him to get run over. Though sedating animals is always a big gamble, even with healthy zoo animals of which the exact weight and medical history is known.
So its very easily possible he died by accident during the move.

Or the fact that they were intervening by moving him anyway or didnt expect him to survive the move may have helped sway the decision towards euthanasia.

Then again, he may have just been moved to an area without coverage. Its common that ill animals are closed off for viewing to help them.
5 users Like Duco Ndona's post

Panama Mapokser Online
Contributor

Mantimahle males with fresh facial injuries on the S36 a little south of the S34 entrance. Credits to Marelize:

*This image is copyright of its original author

9 users Like Mapokser's post

BigLion39 Offline

(04-04-2024, 08:31 PM)BA0701 Wrote: Oh, I am totally on board with that, my friend, if they euthanized an animal for something like that that would be a big problem. Though, I am not sure that is what happened here, at least from what I take from the story so far, sounds like he was very ill, and possibly that is why he was blocking traffic.

EBM was caught in a snare a few months ago. He has never recovered after being treated by vets. So now we see what happened rescently to him, he lost major condition and mass, as an older guy he probably won't recover like a younger male. Thanks to the hands of man, his downfall. So I think vets intervening  now is related to the snare incident. 

EBM and S Shish weren't doing amazing in their old age but were doing ok and EBM being snared definitely sped up his demise.
3 users Like BigLion39's post

Super Moderator

(04-06-2024, 12:12 PM)BigLion39 Wrote:
(04-04-2024, 08:31 PM)BA0701 Wrote: Oh, I am totally on board with that, my friend, if they euthanized an animal for something like that that would be a big problem. Though, I am not sure that is what happened here, at least from what I take from the story so far, sounds like he was very ill, and possibly that is why he was blocking traffic.

EBM was caught in a snare a few months ago. He has never recovered after being treated by vets. So now we see what happened rescently to him, he lost major condition and mass, as an older guy he probably won't recover like a younger male. Thanks to the hands of man, his downfall. So I think vets intervening  now is related to the snare incident. 

EBM and S Shish weren't doing amazing in their old age but were doing ok and EBM being snared definitely sped up his demise.

Such a shame, another legendary lion taken far too soon.
2 users Like BA0701's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

2 Phabeni twins:

6 users Like Tr1x24's post

United States kobe8jf1234 Offline

(04-07-2024, 03:26 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote: 2 Phabeni twins:

is the 3rd with blondie is he seen recently ?

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Mluwati male with Kumana sons:

3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(04-07-2024, 06:09 AM)kobe8jf1234 Wrote: is the 3rd with blondie is he seen recently ?

Idk.
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Super Moderator

Really cool interaction between Casper and some of his Satara cubs and their mother. I think "attacks" is a little strong, but Casper is mating with another Satara lioness, when the mother of his cubs, with the cubs in tow, approaches them. Casper receives the cubs surprisingly well, given he is literally in the middle of a mating session, but their mother walks behind Casper, so he chases her away. I wonder, with his brother's very poor condition, if Casper might be becoming the dominant male.

6 users Like BA0701's post