There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
Coalitions of Kruger National Park

Ngonya Offline

(03-11-2024, 01:30 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Just like in Talamati brothers example, i think 2 older Kambulas dont have in particulary strong bond.
Agree. 
It also looks like he doesn't make an effort to bond with Pretoriuskop.
As you can see in this video below, where it looks like he waits for his brother to arrive so he can get closer and rub him

Of course, a single video will not be something that fully indicates the manner of this lion, however, i personally don't remember seeing sightings of just him and Pretoriuskop male, except for one of them and a lioness on a kill (#10,717)
3 users Like Ngonya's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor

(03-11-2024, 01:30 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(03-11-2024, 01:13 AM)Ngonya Wrote: But it looks like K1 is the loner of the trio

Just like in Talamati brothers example, i think 2 older Kambulas dont have in particulary strong bond.

Since they become nomadic, they where a lot of time separated on ocassions both in SS and Kruger.

Right. I remember what you said bro
1 user Likes afortich's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor

(03-11-2024, 01:38 AM)Ngonya Wrote:
(03-11-2024, 01:30 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Just like in Talamati brothers example, i think 2 older Kambulas dont have in particulary strong bond.
Agree. 
It also looks like he doesn't make an effort to bond with Pretoriuskop.
As you can see in this video below, where it looks like he waits for his brother to arrive so he can get closer and rub him

Of course, a single video will not be something that fully indicates the manner of this lion, however, i personally don't remember seeing sightings of just him and Pretoriuskop male, except for one of them and a lioness on a kill (#10,717)

From this video, your theory makes sense bro but like you said, one video is not sufficient evidence.
1 user Likes afortich's post

Ngonya Offline

(03-11-2024, 02:05 AM)afortich Wrote: From this video, your theory makes sense bro but like you said, one video is not sufficient evidence.
Yeah, its not enough evidence, thats why i also said that theres no evidence that he (K1) and Pretoriuskop have a close bond, meanwhile theres plenty of videos/photos of 'Snip Tail' / K2 with 'Dark Mane' Pretoriuskop without K1, or he is not visibly close to them.
Theres other videos of him mostly on his own but i cant really post it here bc, well, embed system is not really great!
Again, i'm not saying this proves anything, i just personally believe that K1 is more of a loner

K1 on his own with what looks like a gash wound on his back, yesterday at KNP by @riaiven

*This image is copyright of its original author

3 users Like Ngonya's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 03-11-2024, 04:47 AM by Mapokser )

I think if the 2 elder Kambulas didn't had a strong bond, they wouldn't have split to begin with, when they could very well stay with the rest of their brothers and roam an area closer to their natal territory.

We have also seen K1 and K2 together without their dark-maned partner, and when they killed that subadult, it was the 2 of them without their partner.
1 user Likes Mapokser's post

Ngonya Offline

(03-11-2024, 02:52 AM)Mapokser Wrote: I think if the 2 elder Kambulas didn't had a strong bond, they wouldn't have split to begin with, when they could very stay with the rest of their brothers and roam an area closer to their natal territory.
How much older are they compared to the 4 in Sabi Sand? Even so, it seems that K2 has been spending more time with Pretoriuskop male lately (from the pictures we have)

(03-11-2024, 02:52 AM)Mapokser Wrote: We have also seen K1 and K2 together without their dark-maned partner, and when they killed that subadult, it was the 2 of them without their partner.
At that time they were barely seen with their partner and i remember that they had recently joined him (he joined them, whatever). 
The bond was still being developed and it was only a few months ago that K2 began to have many sightings, just him and Pretoriuskop.
I personally believe that K1 just prefers his own company a little, but has a bond with both, brother and partner, not really strong.
1 user Likes Ngonya's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

K2 is only around one month older than the others, and K1 around one month older than K2.
1 user Likes Mapokser's post

Ukraine Cath2020 Offline

Oh wow!!! Snubbed by Snip Tail!  Yes, one footage doesn't tell the whole story, but it certainly hints at a lot--- the dynamics amongst the three!  Snip Tail basically came up and greeted the DM male but just looked at K1, walking off much closer to the unrelated male....

I was thinking Snip Tail would also go to the other Kambula and greet him, but he did not.  Moreover, K1 seemed like he almost wanted to greet and rub heads with his partner, but the latter was NOT as interested....  Very interesting.  Maybe they had been closer until the third male came between the two.

I think some of us can relate.  Me!  I'm not at all close to my blood siblings, having never even spoken to them in well over a decade, but at the same time, there is no overt hostility among us.  I don't care for either my brother or half-sister and have no relationship with their children, either.  All of use are different from each other, personality-wise....Heck, my brother is much closer to his half-sister than to me, his 'full' sister, sharing both parents.  One can never account for why such things happen.  I think character and similar interests have something to do with it.
2 users Like Cath2020's post

Ngonya Offline

(03-11-2024, 04:50 AM)Cath2020 Wrote: Oh wow!!! Snubbed by Snip Tail!  Yes, one footage doesn't tell the whole story, but it certainly hints at a lot--- the dynamics amongst the three!  Snip Tail basically came up and greeted the DM male but just looked at K1, walking off much closer to the unrelated male....

I was thinking Snip Tail would also go to the other Kambula and greet him, but he did not.  Moreover, K1 seemed like he almost wanted to greet and rub heads with his partner, but the latter was NOT as interested....  Very interesting.  Maybe they had been closer until the third male came between the two
Thats something i noticed too! 
Those small details can sometimes say more than we think tbh.

(03-11-2024, 04:50 AM)Cath2020 Wrote: I think some of us can relate. 
100%.
Ofc it is more common with humans for a sibling to develop such a strong bond with a friend than with another sibling, seems to me to be a similar case to this trio of lions
2 users Like Ngonya's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

3 Imbali (H1-2) males :

7 users Like Tr1x24's post

Hungary Lipstick2 Offline

(03-12-2024, 07:10 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: 3 Imbali (H1-2) males :

Sons of the Mluwati males?
1 user Likes Lipstick2's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(03-12-2024, 07:18 PM)Lipstick2 Wrote: Sons of the Mluwati males?

Yes.
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

So a few years ago these 2 males where seen getting chased by the Mbiri males, they were called the "H7 males", at the time I thought they were Hercules and Sumatra, but then Potato said they weren't, and instead were known just as "H7 males":

Which reminded me of the lion who was weighed, IIRC on H7, IIRC he was just known as H7 male and was in a coalition of 2 as well, this guy:

Anyone knows if he is the same lion? 1/2 of the 2 H7 males chased by Mbiri?

I can't find the video of his weighting though, I was sure it was on youtube, I can only find photos:

So, if he is the same male, anyone knows what happened to him and his partner? And if he's not the same, anyone has more information on this lion who got weighed? As I said, if I'm not mistaken, he was also 1/2 lions called "H7 males".
5 users Like Mapokser's post

Brahim Offline
Moderators

Yeah that's the same H7 males. He's the one on the right in the mbiri chasing pic. He was snared in May 2021 so I assume that was when he was weighed. Only his brother is seen lately.
6 users Like Brahim's post

Brahim Offline
Moderators

H7 male recently 
Credit: Daniel Zimmerman

Attached Files Image(s)

7 users Like Brahim's post