There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
Coalitions of Kruger National Park

United States kobe8jf1234 Offline

(08-31-2024, 03:32 PM)Brahim Wrote: Skybed son seen back in January around Talamati Bushveld camp.
instagram.com/kruger_wildlife_photography_

he still alive with his brother ?

United States kobe8jf1234 Offline

(08-31-2024, 03:26 PM)Brahim Wrote: And 2 other Eastern Gomondwanes sleeping.
Instagram.com/good_guy_gregg1

so all3 eastern gomo males accounted for recently ? i know there western brother have  not been seen
1 user Likes kobe8jf1234's post

Tr1x24 Online
Top Contributor

(08-31-2024, 11:25 PM)kobe8jf1234 Wrote: he still alive with his brother ?

His brother disappeared few years ago ( late 2021 if i remember correctly).
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Brazil Gavskrr Offline

(08-20-2024, 03:40 PM)Brahim Wrote: 3 new males around Transport dam recently.
instagram.com/afrozelari
I assume it's them in this sighting too right?

"6:55am
2 Lion marking territory
"The males moved off."
S66, at the Transport Dam
Near Skukuza
5/5
Tinged by Jaco"

*This image is copyright of its original author
3 users Like Gavskrr's post

Brahim Offline
Moderators

Yeah that's them. I wonder if these guys could have been sired by Mhangeni/Talamati they resemble to them a bit
4 users Like Brahim's post

Tr1x24 Online
Top Contributor

Hamiltons male:

8 users Like Tr1x24's post

Brahim Offline
Moderators

(09-02-2024, 02:22 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Hamiltons male:

Thats cool he's with his sons still
1 user Likes Brahim's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

@Brahim was the Talamati last seen with Manghenis, not alone? What was the last sighting of them, the photos of the old Mangheni aside?

Was it that photo of the 3 of them + 1 unknown young male in 2020?

And then are these 3 new males truly the ones that a few years ago were thought to be 3 Othawas, when there was one of them who was older and resembled Jr Othawa, are these the males we're talking about? If so do you still have the old photos of them, as subs?

Any son of those Mangheni would be a nephew to Jr Othawa so it'd make sense that they could look a bit similar, but does these males come from an area that could be from where Manghenis/Talamati controlled?
2 users Like Mapokser's post

Tr1x24 Online
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 09-02-2024, 10:44 PM by Tr1x24 )

(09-02-2024, 09:09 PM)Mapokser Wrote: @Brahim was the Talamati last seen with Manghenis, not alone?

Alone in early 2019 near Manyeleti.

(09-02-2024, 09:09 PM)Mapokser Wrote: What was the last sighting of them, the photos of the old Mangheni aside?

Was it that photo of the 3 of them + 1 unknown young male in 2020?

Last sighting of them together was in 2018, near Phabeni Gate.

Based of this, Mhangenis and Talamati didnt stick together, yet they split.

But 1 of Mhangenis emerged last year near Skukuza, meaning he was alive somewhere for 5 years unseen (presumably south of Pretoriuskop where theres no roads).
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Tr1x24 Online
Top Contributor

@Brahim 

I think those 3 males might be potentially sons of H2-2/Transport Dam males.

These 2 are territorial for years, atleast from 2018, maybe even sooner, in that area of Kruger, they definetly have already adult offspring by now.

But obiviously we dont know, they might be from far away area.
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

@Rui Ferreira to answer your questions regarding the situation in northern Kruger, specifically the HWC in that region. I will provide what is my understanding of the situation, and hope that others, like @Rabubi, who may have a better understanding of what is going on there, may also opine.

My understanding is that it is, generally, a very poor area, and that the people who reside in close proximity to the park may well be in direct competition over resources, with the creatures who also live there as well. Resources such as crops and livestock, for instance. There is also the question of ensuring the safety of those same people, as well as the very lucrative black market trade that can result from poaching those same creatures, it can become a question of literally providing for one's family.

That is my understanding of the situation, and why it is so a dangerous place for animals of all types, not just lions. Such conditions make it very difficult to convince people that destroying these creatures is not in their best interests, and that is precisely where the government, along with those who are interested in helping the animals, should be coming up with ideas that not only helps stop the killing, but also benefits and aids the people who live there. If we were to have such a conversation, that would be, exactly my goals for participating.
2 users Like BA0701's post

Portugal Rui Ferreira Offline

(09-03-2024, 05:20 AM)BA0701 Wrote: @Rui Ferreira to answer your questions regarding the situation in northern Kruger, specifically the HWC in that region. I will provide what is my understanding of the situation, and hope that others, like @Rabubi, who may have a better understanding of what is going on there, may also opine.

My understanding is that it is, generally, a very poor area, and that the people who reside in close proximity to the park may well be in direct competition over resources, with the creatures who also live there as well. Resources such as crops and livestock, for instance. There is also the question of ensuring the safety of those same people, as well as the very lucrative black market trade that can result from poaching those same creatures, it can become a question of literally providing for one's family.

That is my understanding of the situation, and why it is so a dangerous place for animals of all types, not just lions. Such conditions make it very difficult to convince people that destroying these creatures is not in their best interests, and that is precisely where the government, along with those who are interested in helping the animals, should be coming up with ideas that not only helps stop the killing, but also benefits and aids the people who live there. If we were to have such a conversation, that would be, exactly my goals for participating.

I could be wrong but was the same happening with wildlife reserves in Mozambique for example Gorongosa
I dont remember exactly but theres a Nat Geo Wild doc. about the "reabilitacion" of the park, that IIRC to help wildlife in the park they started by helping the community there, being with jobs in the park, education for the whole community and sensibilize about all the wildlife around them, well pits and so on to help improve the quality of life for the people and to raise awareness about the declining wildlife who was in a tragic situation
 The whole ended up being a big succsess ( even tho it took some good years to get start to get in the right tracks, I risk to say like 10 or so)
It started by stabilize the herbivore population and than introducing (in a controlled manner of course) the carnivores, without rushing and doing things like it needed to be done yesterday, everything seemed to have a plan, a purpose and patience.
Today ( with people still working hard to protect the wildlife in general against poachers, snares, poisoning etc.) Gorongosa seems to be an animal paradise compared to what it was during Mozambique´s civil wars who decimated so many animal species
For example IIRC I believe there were less than 30 animals in the whole park and some had snare injuries, today the numbers are in the three digits 
Not to talk about lion, cheetah and other animal populations
It all took many years of dedication and strategy, there were horrendous amounts of snares in the whole reserve, poachers, cattle etc..

Needless to say this took alot of money in the making but I can assure you as the years gone by with all the tourism and such that the reserve can produce I can almost garantee it profited 
It helped the quality of life in the communitys in and around the reserve, gave many people jobs, and helped the wildlife who was in a critic stage
I think we can all learn with Gorongosa and other reserves like such
But when talking about conservation Mozambique seems to be much more preoccupied than South Africa wich is a shame
Could the plan be something similar, help imporve the quality of life of every living being around the reserve and in the reserve and with that help our beloved wildlife
Do we really have to wait for someone with a huge amount of money to gain courage and invest in that area with the objective of improving everyones situation?
I dont know but it seems that before we get preoccupied in getting better we should invest in not getting worse
2 users Like Rui Ferreira's post

Brahim Offline
Moderators

@Tr1x24 Could be sons of Transport/H2-2 but the sons of transport who are this age I got a couple pics of them.

Brahim Offline
Moderators

@Tr1x24 that Talamati was seen by Lion sands in 2018. I don't remember a Manyeleti sighting. That was near time of that pic of 4 of them on that rock.

Brahim Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 09-04-2024, 03:46 PM by Brahim )

So I remember in 2021 a lady said she saw these 3 males North of Afsaal. That spot where mhangeni/talamati probably were. At time I thought maybe s26 but I was getting updates on s26 and they were on other side of the south of kruger and it didn't match them well. Anyway didn't put much thought into it until Mhangeni showed up in recent times alive and looked back at this photo. These are the same males on that rock in 2018 it seems.

Attached Files Image(s)

6 users Like Brahim's post