There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Birmingham Pride of lions

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator
( This post was last modified: 08-02-2021, 04:15 AM by BA0701 )

(08-02-2021, 04:04 AM)Mohawk Wrote:
(08-01-2021, 03:02 AM)BA0701 Wrote: Apparently, the other day when BYM was sharing a buffalo kill with the pride and Ross Males, an elephant approached and drove the entire pride off the kill, including the Ross Males, except for BYM, he remained on the kill, alone, seemingly undeterred by the elephant trying to drive him off. His confidence must currently be off the charts.

It's like he's from the future and he's not afraid because he knows what's going to happen Laughing 

Jokes aside, he's becoming a living legend.  I hope things continue to go in his favor.

I was concerned for him, for quite awhile, wondering how damaged his psyche was after the bashings Tyson laid on him. Wondering if he could hunt with his injury, could he run away if cornered by a coalition, etc... It was obvious from the start that he was going to be a very large male, but all that size does little for him if he has no confidence.

Since then, I believe he has put most, if not all, of those concerns to bed, showing he can kill kudu by himself, and protect it from a pack of hyenas, feeding with the Ross Males, then unfased when confronted by an elephant. We don't have the ability to know what his future holds, but it could be a really bright one if he plays his cards straight.
2 users Like BA0701's post

1999gc8 Online

(08-02-2021, 04:14 AM)BA0701 Wrote:
(08-01-2021, 03:02 AM)BA0701 Wrote: Apparently, the other day when BYM was sharing a buffalo kill with the pride and Ross Males, an elephant approached and drove the entire pride off the kill, including the Ross Males, except for BYM, he remained on the kill, alone, seemingly undeterred by the elephant trying to drive him off. His confidence must currently be off the charts.

It's like he's from the future and he's not afraid because he knows what's going to happen Laughing 

Jokes aside, he's becoming a living legend.  I hope things continue to go in his favor.

I was concerned for him, for quite awhile, wondering how damaged his psyche was after the bashings Tyson laid on him. Wondering if he could hunt with his injury, could he run away if cornered by a coalition, etc... It was obvious from the start that he was going to be a very large male, but all that size does little for him if he has no confidence.

Since then, I believe he has put most, if not all, of those concerns to bed, showing he can kill kudu by himself, and protect it from a pack of hyenas, feeding with the Ross Males, then unfased when confronted by an elephant. We don't have the ability to know what his future holds, but it could be a really bright one if he plays his cards straight.

I remember watching a recent youtube video that included the YBM and it was mentioned that he walks with a slight limp but he's been seen running like he has no injury.
3 users Like 1999gc8's post

Super Moderator

(08-02-2021, 05:46 AM)1999gc8 Wrote:
(08-02-2021, 04:14 AM)BA0701 Wrote:

I remember watching a recent youtube video that included the YBM and it was mentioned that he walks with a slight limp but he's been seen running like he has no injury.

Yeah, I don't think his injury is going to be as impactful as many initially believed. Clearly he killed a kudu all on his own, and you are correct his limp has improved quite a lot over time.
3 users Like BA0701's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

7 users Like Tr1x24's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Some cool ranger stories about past coalitions on Ngala, he said that 5 Western males (Avoca/Giraffes) ousted Phiva males (N. Matimbas) and become dominant coalition on Ngala, which would meant that A/G where not on Ngala before 2015/16, they where west with Avoca pride around Shindzela, also fight between Ross males and 1 Avoca/Giraffe in December 2017, few months after that Avoca/Giraffes completely abandon Ngala :

5 users Like Tr1x24's post

Super Moderator
( This post was last modified: 08-04-2021, 09:41 PM by BA0701 )

(08-04-2021, 09:20 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Some cool ranger stories about past coalitions on Ngala, he said that 5 Western males (Avoca/Giraffes) ousted Phiva males (N. Matimbas) and become dominant coalition on Ngala, which would meant that A/G where not on Ngala before 2015/16, they where west with Avoca pride around Shindzela, also fight between Ross males and 1 Avoca/Giraffe in December 2017, few months after that Avoca/Giraffes completely abandon Ngala :

With no information on the cause, BYM also has a new injury, not severe, right near the base of his tale. When he was walking it looked more like a slice or cut, but later when the ranger is discussing the injury and the camera zooms in, it almost looks more like fang marks, so not sure what happened. Nothing too serious, could well have happened while eating on the buffalo carcass, as his belly is quite full.

Also, @Tr1x24 I had always thought BYM's father was one of the Matimbas, but from this information, it sounds as if it may have been the Avocas, given the timeline he just laid out. Do we know for certain which coalition fathered him?

T I N O Online
Moderators

The Birmingham young male was fathered by the old Avoca/Giraffe males also known as the Western males by Ngala rangers. Definitely, the Matimba didn't sired to him.
5 users Like T I N O's post

T I N O Online
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 08-04-2021, 10:00 PM by T I N O )

(08-04-2021, 09:20 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Some cool ranger stories about past coalitions on Ngala, he said that 5 Western males (Avoca/Giraffes) ousted Phiva males (N. Matimbas) and become dominant coalition on Ngala, which would meant that A/G where not on Ngala before 2015/16, they where west with Avoca pride around Shindzela, also fight between Ross males and 1 Avoca/Giraffe in December 2017, few months after that Avoca/Giraffes completely abandon Ngala :

That's a wrong way of spelling the name. The Matimba males were the known as the Phelwane males instead of Phiva males. The Avoca/Giraffe males were seen many times on Ngala. It was much earlier than 2015/16. It was around August 2013 one of the first sighting that I've seen of the Avoca/Giraffe males in Ngala
5 users Like T I N O's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(08-04-2021, 09:57 PM)Timbavati Wrote: That's a wrong way of spelling the name. The Matimba males were the known as the Phelwane males instead of Phiva males. The Avoca/Giraffe males were seen many times on Ngala. It was much earlier than 2015/16. It was around August 2013 one of the first sighting that I've seen of the Avoca/Giraffe males in Ngala

Yea i meant Phelwane, my bad..

Yes they where seen, on western border, but not dominant there.
5 users Like Tr1x24's post

Super Moderator

(08-04-2021, 09:49 PM)Timbavati Wrote: The Birmingham young male was fathered by the old Avoca/Giraffe males also known as the Western males by Ngala rangers. Definitely, the Matimba didn't sired to him.

Ok, thank you very much my friend!

T I N O Online
Moderators

(08-04-2021, 10:42 PM)BA0701 Wrote:
(08-04-2021, 09:49 PM)Timbavati Wrote: The Birmingham young male was fathered by the old Avoca/Giraffe males also known as the Western males by Ngala rangers. Definitely, the Matimba didn't sired to him.

Ok, thank you very much my friend!

Always a pleasure my friend!
3 users Like T I N O's post

lionuk Offline
Contributor

He looks great. 

9 users Like lionuk's post

lionuk Offline
Contributor

Wonderful to see that pride with full bellies, napping. BYM isn't with them this time. Hopefully we will see him soon, though. 

7 users Like lionuk's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

5 of 7 Birmingham breakeaway young males at Shindzela :

Photo Credits : Johan Adolf Smalman

*This image is copyright of its original author

7 users Like Tr1x24's post

RookiePundit Offline

That is very distinctive tear like scar on the 4th male. Hope that stays at least a bit. They are starting to look impressive, clearly hardened by the number of scars in their faces, almost look determined. I thought they were bit younger, these have potential, hopefully once they wander off somewhere it would be to a safe area with regular info.
3 users Like RookiePundit's post