There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Big herbivores!

India parvez Offline
Tiger enthusiast

Kaziranga elephant. 
*This image is copyright of its original author
7 users Like parvez's post

Sanju Offline

A massive female Indian elephant "tusker" dust bathing at Rajaji National Park
7 users Like Sanju's post

Virgin Islands, U.S. Rage2277 Offline
animal enthusiast

(04-11-2019, 04:47 AM)Sanju Wrote:

A massive female Indian elephant "tusker" dust bathing at Rajaji National Park

idk looks like a bull to me
2 users Like Rage2277's post

animal enthusiast

big bull in corbett mohan.thomas
7 users Like Rage2277's post

Sanju Offline
( This post was last modified: 04-11-2019, 10:43 AM by Sanju )

(04-11-2019, 05:56 AM)Rage2277 Wrote: idk looks like a bull to me

Description

English: Indian elephant (Elephas maximus indicus). Tusker. Female. Dust bathing. Rajaji National Park, Uttarakhand, India.

Date: 28 May 2017, 18:37:56
Source: Wiki Commons
Author: Subhajit Saha

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:IE_Rajaji.jpg

I know she's massive but it's ok. BTW you can observe absence of pennis or male genitalia.

Female Asian elephants "usually" lack tusks; if tusks—in that case called "tushes"—are present, they are barely visible, and only seen when the mouth is open. which is a small short tusk with no pulp inside. Tusks remain short, and are easily identified where as Both sexes of the African elephants can have tusks, while only a minority of male of Asian elephants bears tusks. The cause for this much rarity is due to relatively more "selection pressure" on Asian elephants due to poaching than in Africa.

But some individuals like above develop somewhat big tusks !

These type ones are rare but one of them is this "for example" ‘Female’ tusker reported in Yala. There are more like this from different regions though.

Only male Asian elephants have tusks, and only a small percentage of male Asian elephants have tusks. This “female” tusker, which showed no visible sign of male genitalia when it was passing urine.

These type of anomalies occur when tushes have pulp cavity like males.
3 users Like Sanju's post

animal enthusiast

(04-11-2019, 10:38 AM)Sanju Wrote:
(04-11-2019, 05:56 AM)Rage2277 Wrote: idk looks like a bull to me

Description

English: Indian elephant (Elephas maximus indicus). Tusker. Female. Dust bathing. Rajaji National Park, Uttarakhand, India.

Date: 28 May 2017, 18:37:56
Source: Wiki Commons
Author: Subhajit Saha

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:IE_Rajaji.jpg

I know she's massive but it's ok. BTW you can observe absence of pennis or male genitalia.

Female Asian elephants "usually" lack tusks; if tusks—in that case called "tushes"—are present, they are barely visible, and only seen when the mouth is open. which is a small short tusk with no pulp inside. Tusks remain short, and are easily identified where as Both sexes of the African elephants can have tusks, while only a minority of male of Asian elephants bears tusks. The cause for this much rarity is due to relatively more "selection pressure" on Asian elephants due to poaching than in Africa.

But some individuals like above develop somewhat big tusks !

These type ones are rare but one of them is this "for example" ‘Female’ tusker reported in Yala. There are more like this from different regions though.

Only male Asian elephants have tusks, and only a small percentage of male Asian elephants have tusks. This “female” tusker, which showed no visible sign of male genitalia when it was passing urine.

These type of anomalies occur when tushes have pulp cavity like males.

i know some of the females have tusks..but seeing the head and build it looks rather masculine
2 users Like Rage2277's post

Sanju Offline
( This post was last modified: 04-12-2019, 02:33 PM by Sanju )

@Rage2277 At first I felt the same but after close observation of groin; limbs and trunk are 'thinner' unlike males, shorter in "height" and verification with author, confirmed it as a female. Huge female in fact indicating nutrient grass and mineral rich soil of Terai or Bhabar in Rajaji ! let's hope the corridor b/w Corbett and rajaji won't damage further and protected well.

Sanju Offline
( This post was last modified: 04-12-2019, 02:38 PM by Sanju )

A Bull in Corbett for Comparison with that Rajaji Female. Look at those thick limbs, nape, trunk and "height"...

Sanju Offline

Elephants and Banteng graze in Kuri Buri National Park in Thailand, vestiges of a once-massive fauna that migrated annually across Indochina. Pattarapong/iStock

Emus attempting to cross the Rabbit-Proof Fence in Western Australia. Western Australia Department of Agriculture & Food

Lions attacking an Angolan Giraffe, one facet of Botswana’s complex migratory ecosystems. Michael Cohen
4 users Like Sanju's post

Sanju Offline

#473 post
Same bull..

4 users Like Sanju's post

Sanju Offline
( This post was last modified: 04-13-2019, 08:44 PM by Sanju )

Etosha NP...
@wild.anjadenke

Rare White Elephant bull, White Rhino, Gazelle, Oryx, Common Ostrich and Zebra all in One shot.
6 users Like Sanju's post

smedz Offline

https://www.malamala.com/cape-buffalo/ Apparently, Cape Buffalo have killed more trophy hunters than the other Big 5. Take a look.
2 users Like smedz's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

Dudhwa Safari With Siddharth Singh
Kaziranga special 
We have now started personalised tours 
for Kaziranga for Mammals.. apart from Rhino Wild Buffalo.. a variety of mammal species can be found here .. Gibbons Caped Langurs And Malian Gaint squriel are a treat to watch in this mesmerising habitat

wildlifeindia
Tale of a wild muscle
The wild Buffalo are huge gaint Buffalo found in the swamps of #kaziranga .These magnificent creatures are endangered and at a stake.They are eaten , killed and even made domestic .The end is tragic.The herbivores play a vital role in the food chain they are food of the carnivorous.loss of habitats has made the situation even worse.- @shubhrasareen

3 users Like Pckts's post

United Kingdom Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

(04-15-2019, 04:15 AM)smedz Wrote: https://www.malamala.com/cape-buffalo/ Apparently, Cape Buffalo have killed more trophy hunters than the other Big 5. Take a look.

Yes, you're right, I have always read this... But the hippo doesn't belong to the big five (lion, elephant, rhino, buffalo and leopard). Perhaps, the hippo is the beast killing the most human each year (3000) and buffalo the beast having killed the most hunters...
3 users Like Spalea's post

smedz Offline

(04-17-2019, 12:38 AM)Spalea Wrote:
(04-15-2019, 04:15 AM)smedz Wrote: https://www.malamala.com/cape-buffalo/ Apparently, Cape Buffalo have killed more trophy hunters than the other Big 5. Take a look.

Yes, you're right, I have always read this... But the hippo doesn't belong to the big five (lion, elephant, rhino, buffalo and leopard). Perhaps, the hippo is the beast killing the most human each year (3000) and buffalo the beast having killed the most hunters...

Since that seems to be the case, I guess that automatically makes them my favorite wild bovines! And I think I can explain how this is. Of all the Big 5, buffalo seem to be the most popular ones to go after, but Cape Buffalo will charge all together in their herds, an attack even lions will retreat from, and bullets can't protect the hunters from that.
1 user Likes smedz's post