There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Big herbivores!

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 01-09-2019, 04:33 AM by Shadow )

Obviously giraffe is not the only one able to reach upper branches when needed.

3 users Like Shadow's post

United Kingdom Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

@Shadow :

About #391: this elephant knocks this tree over almost without touching it... Very calmly, simply
1 user Likes Spalea's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(01-09-2019, 05:25 AM)Spalea Wrote: @Shadow :

About #391: this elephant knocks this tree over almost without touching it... Very calmly, simply

That was something, I am not sure about roots of that tree, but there seemed to be some longer ones. That was something only an elephant can do, no doubt about it, if we rule out tools and machines.

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

Here another elephant doing some "forest management".

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 01-10-2019, 09:13 PM by Shadow Edit Reason: adding article )

Interesting interaction between big ones here.

Here is article about this incident.

https://www.earthtouchnews.com/natural-w...ion-pride/
2 users Like Shadow's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

Paying the price for disturbing wrong animals.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news...kg-7280878
1 user Likes Shadow's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(01-08-2019, 10:18 PM)Pckts Wrote: Anand Subramanian
Tiger-Rhino Stand off after sunset. Kaziranga National park. Assam. India. Jan 2017 

*This image is copyright of its original author
Looks like both are running and soon tiger escaping just before rhino gets it. Very nice photo from moving targets!
1 user Likes Shadow's post

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

Here in the first 02:15 of this video from Givskud zoo in Denmark, this cape buffalo is the boss of the savannah exhibit there. When I was there they stod and waited patiently until he had finished eating. 
Funny to see how much stronger the rhinos are, but the buffalo comes back and are so aggressive that they manage to be the dominant species. 

2 users Like Pantherinae's post

Jimmy Offline
( This post was last modified: 01-10-2019, 10:14 PM by Jimmy )

(01-10-2019, 09:57 PM)Pantherinae Wrote: Here in the first 02:15 of this video from Givskud zoo in Denmark, this cape buffalo is the boss of the savannah exhibit there. When I was there they stod and waited patiently until he had finished eating. 
Funny to see how much stronger the rhinos are, but the buffalo comes back and are so aggressive that they manage to be the dominant species. 

It's amazing how the animal normally behaves in the wild changes completely in another situation, buffalo seem to be lower on hierarchy in the wild than white rhinos, I think even black rhinos but here it is opposite, the rhino is clearly bigger more powerful but buffalo shows tenacious willingness to fight back it's insane, on the other video similar thing seems to have developed, zoo keeper tells Gaurs would challenge Indian rhinos and unafraid of anything, fascinating!!!

4 users Like Jimmy's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(01-10-2019, 09:57 PM)Pantherinae Wrote: Here in the first 02:15 of this video from Givskud zoo in Denmark, this cape buffalo is the boss of the savannah exhibit there. When I was there they stod and waited patiently until he had finished eating. 

In that second video it looks like sometimes, that other buffalos might want to join and help the on in trouble, but not able to see "opening" good enough to go for it. Then in some occasions one buffalo seems to attack also that one, which is in trouble with rhino. Nice chaos there :)

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(01-10-2019, 10:13 PM)Jimmy Wrote:

It's amazing how the animal normally behaves in the wild changes completely in another situation, buffalo seem to be lower on hierarchy in the wild than white rhinos, I think even black rhinos but here it is opposite, the rhino is clearly bigger more powerful but buffalo shows tenacious willingness to fight back it's insane, on the other video similar thing seems to have developed, zoo keeper tells Gaurs would challenge Indian rhinos and unafraid of anything, fascinating!!!

Great video Jimmy, yes bovids are tough! I could see gaurs being tough enough to walk up to rhinos and being unafraid of them. I think I have seen them walking side by side in the wild also? And also rhinos with water buffalos. Bovids are no joke! 
A rhino is much bigger and stronger, but the buffalos are more aggressive. 
I have seen in Masai Mara a bull buffalo chase away a black rhino, but I guess they both can chase and dominate eachother.
2 users Like Pantherinae's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(01-10-2019, 10:37 PM)Pantherinae Wrote:

Great video Jimmy, yes bovids are tough! I could see gaurs being tough enough to walk up to rhinos and being unafraid of them. I think I have seen them walking side by side in the wild also? And also rhinos with water buffalos. Bovids are no joke! 
I have seen in Masai Mara a bull buffalo chase away a black rhino, but I guess they both can chase and dominate eachother.

Yes, if tigers and lions would all the time make attacks without surprise element, they would have been a long time ago both extinct species. Luckily they have some brain activity and avoiding suicidal attacks, at least when not desperate for hunger. When about 1-2 tons mass is charging with full speed it is no place to stand and wait what happens when it hits..... Wink

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

Rhino vs Buffalo 

3/4 of Africas most impressive herbivores. Very cool picture! 

One of the most impressive looking white rhinos I have seen! 

Big bulls looking big in comparison to a female black rhino.
5 users Like Pantherinae's post

Suhail Offline

(01-10-2019, 10:37 PM)Pantherinae Wrote:

They both are often seen grazing together and peacefully walk side by side. 
Here is the footage showing possibly two young gaurs and a rhino in manas national Park. 

3 users Like Suhail's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

I was here a few years ago and yes, I was told the same.
The Gaurs there are the most aggressive animal in the Wild Animal Park, this includes Cape Buffalo which are in the Africa side, that being said, when I was there they had to remove the large male Asian Rhino because he became to aggressive and dangerous to all the other animals there, this included the Gaur which he would routinely bully as well.
2 users Like Pckts's post