There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Big herbivores!

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 09-09-2014, 02:48 AM by Pckts )

Diya Bannerjee sent us this news item of a battle being won to remove barriers to the movement of elephants between Orissa, Jharkhand and Bengal. After a sustained campaign it has been decided to remove all barriers along the corridor to offer safe passage to the elephants. http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/home/environment/developmental-issues/Human-elephant-conflict-takes-a-new-dimension/artic...

*This image is copyright of its original author

1 user Likes Pckts's post

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 09-18-2014, 02:12 AM by Pckts )

(09-18-2014, 01:38 AM)'sanjay' Wrote: I really feel bad when hyena, wild dogs or wolf kill their prey compare to cats.

They start eating alive, imagine the pain of the prey when they scream and eaten alive. Actually this is real brutality. But truth of nature.

Actually, I have heard photographers say that while it looks gruesome, the disembowelment of a animal is a quicker kill. I am always sad when I watch a lion pride take down a larger animal because they start eating its hind quarters while its alive, even licking the wound and drinking the blood. Kills are gruesome, that's for sure.

@Phanterinae there is no way to tell a Cape Buffalo male or female from a frontal shot.

Both have Boss that cover their head, bulls will have a larger boss though. Its easier to tell from size and Genital obviously.

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

Yes @Pckts in clear pictures I can easially see The difference between bull and cow buffalo by looking at The face and horn size, but I was carefull in this case because The pictures are unclear.

Yeah carnivores can be hard to look at, but that's how it is. Hard to look at, but interesting at The same time.  

Bigcat Enthusiast

Its not as clear as you are making it out to be, that is for sure. Tons of images prove that point.

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

'Pckts dateline='' Wrote: Its not as clear as you are making it out to be, that is for sure. Tons of images prove that point.

Yes I do, it's just as easy as male and female tiger. I have no problems at all watching alot of african documentaries and ranger diary's I have no problems with it. 

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 09-18-2014, 02:51 AM by Pckts )

(09-18-2014, 02:46 AM)'Pantherinae' Wrote:
'Pckts dateline='' Wrote: Its not as clear as you are making it out to be, that is for sure. Tons of images prove that point.

Yes I do, it's just as easy as male and female tiger. I have no problems at all watching alot of african documentaries and ranger diary's I have no problems with it. 

Ill just end this discussion now, since you have no proof of this.
Since I know for a fact you could not distinguish which is Bull and Cow of this group

or this group

or this group

I also bet, I could show you a few tigers that you would have a tough time telling if male or female without a Male present.

There are obvious differences but its not like a Guar which is Black and has a huge hump compared to a brown female with no hump.

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 09-18-2014, 04:14 AM by Pantherinae )

Looks compleatly different, in every aspects to me. Large savannah buffalos

Bigcat Enthusiast

Except for that is one picture of one female, age undetirmined, horns undeveloped, etc.
Like I showed, females devolop Boss just like the males, they cover their entire head and calus like a males, just smaller.

Bigcat Enthusiast

(09-18-2014, 04:13 AM)'Pantherinae' Wrote: Looks compleatly different, in every aspects to me. Large savannah buffalos

Look pretty similar here, the boss seems to be the main difference.

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 06-18-2017, 06:22 PM by Ngala )

The first one is a bad picture, and You can't even see The face of The bull... The other one is easy! 
I can see The difference, why is that a problem, why should I Lie about that?

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

Btw The picture i posted was to show The difference in head structure between a mature female and an adult bull.

Guatemala GuateGojira Offline
Expert & Researcher

Pckts and Pantherinae:

You two just CAN’T be together. You transformed a possible interesting topic about “HYENAS” in a silly topic about “Sexing BUFFALOES”. You two are just incredible.
[img]images/smilies/dodgy.gif[/img]

Behave yourselves and return to the point of the topic.

1 user Likes GuateGojira's post

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 09-19-2014, 10:10 PM by Pckts )

No offense Gaute, but you turned my Universe topic into a debate on the difference between Law and theory.
I suggest you take the same stance then. Agreed that we derailed this thread with the buffalo non sense, but you are hypocritical in your "scolding".
Look in the mirror before you are so harsh with your uncalled for judgement.

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

@Pckts , So you derailed this thread to take revenge with Guate ?
In between, your universe topic has argument and it still contain debate related to universe.

But how hyena and Buffalo can be mixed in single thread, and with lot of pictures ?

Bigcat Enthusiast

(09-19-2014, 11:01 PM)'sanjay' Wrote: @Pckts , So you derailed this thread to take revenge with Guate ?
In between, your universe topic has argument and it still contain debate related to universe.

But how hyena and Buffalo can be mixed in single thread, and with lot of pictures ?

My response on the buffalo was in regards to Pantherinae remark on the hyennas killing a buffalo where he claimed it a bull.
On this thread, specifically regarding this topic and this thread.

My response to Gaute was how harsh his words were without even looking in the mirror on how he did the same to me.