There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
B2 and Other Great Tiger Pics from India

Roflcopters Offline
Modern Tiger Expert

@Tshokwane 

the male in the picture is Matkasur.
1 user Likes Roflcopters's post

Roflcopters Offline
Modern Tiger Expert

*This image is copyright of its original author

with every male pushed out of the way, I was pretty confident that this mating would produce cubs and sure enough. Maya delivered. this is undoubtedly the era of Matkasur male, successfully passing on his genes. both of his females Choti Tara and Maya are like two sides to a coin in the female world. Maya has been ruling her territory for 6 years and Choti tara has been ruling her's for a little over 5 years. Im sure most of you remember Katezari male, Namdev, Leopard face aka Gabbar and Bobdya. Maya and Choti tara were still around when these brutes were present and while they were replaced and pushed out. Maya and Choti Tara still had their respective territories on the lock. Maya rules Tadoba lake, Pandherpauni, Kolara gate, parts of Ainbodi and compartment 97. Choti tara rules Jamni village, towards Kosaiknar, hilltop, jamunbodi, Chital road and up to the Tadoba Guest house, Tar road. May/2017.

Kali aka Ginaji, son of Namdev and Nakkati. late 2017.

the tank known as Jaichand during his rescue. Jan/2018

the brand Ambassador of Umred, Jaichand. Jan/2018

PannaLal of Khitauli, Bandhavgarh.Jan/2018

large male from Satpura, not Ravan or the other male posted by Ngala. late 2017.

same guy on the move.

the legend known as Khali from Agarzari Buffer, Tadoba. Jan/2018

A deer checks out a tigress in Kaziranga. Jan/2018

Matkasur crew, Jan/2018

CT the male of Pench, Sillari. Jan/2018

CT on the prowl

large male from Mudumalai crossing road. late 2017

Undisputed king of Bandipur, Raja's son aka Basavanna katte male. Jan/2018

In high mortality parks like Kaziranga, Kanha and Bandipur. Raja had the highest number of tiger kills ever documented in the recent times. he was linked to the deaths of 6 rivals. Raja also had a long run and ruled Bandipur for 9 years before he was poached. one of the greatest Alpha male of this era. RIP King, Bandipur isnt the same without you.

no introduction needed, Matkasur male the Emperor of Tadoba. Jan/2018
9 users Like Roflcopters's post

Virgin Islands, U.S. Rage2277 Offline
animal enthusiast

man..been mia for a while looks like alot has happened in the tiger world..be sometime before i get into the groove again
2 users Like Rage2277's post

Roflcopters Offline
Modern Tiger Expert

consistency is the key my friend, just kidding. good to see you back.

@Pckts 

I remember you emailed Dr.Bilal Habib regarding the weight of Jai, 220kg adjusted if im not mistaken. just curious if he ever mentioned the season? was that his summer weight?

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 01-19-2018, 10:26 PM by Pckts )

@Roflcopters 
I emailed him in late oct. so it was probably during the winter post monsoon. I’d have to look up the original article that made me ask in the first place.
1 user Likes Pckts's post

Roflcopters Offline
Modern Tiger Expert

if i remember correctly, he was first radio collared in September/2015. the collar failed within a month and on March/17/2016. he was tranquilized and given a new collar. im just curious if he was weighed the first time or if it was the second time. 

edit: you're right, it was post monsoon weight sometime in September/2015.

https://wildfact.com/forum/topic-gabbars-weight?page=2

#post 23 by Sanjay, now that we know he weighed 238kg empty belly post monsoon and 220kg after keeping in error value of the scale. post monsoon is arguably the toughest time of the year for most tigers in India so with all of this info on hand. Jai probably could have been 20-30kg heavier in the winter months.
2 users Like Roflcopters's post

Roflcopters Offline
Modern Tiger Expert

my favorite tigress from Agarzari buffer, the biggest and the most elusive female "Sharmili". she's the wifey of Moh. Jan/2018.

side profile

head on shot

gorgeous female

Pannalal of Khitauli, Bandhavgarh. Jan/2018

the notorious Basavanakatte male of Bandipur, last few months he was heavily involved in a conflict over turf with other males and it seems like he has made it very clear, he's here to rule for a long time and now rules all of Raja's former territories. like father, like son. carrying Raja's legacy. Jan/2018

King of New Nagzira, Jan/2018.

remains of a tiger kill from New Nagzira, Jan/2018.

T57 aka Aurangzeb the king of Zone 1, Zone 2, parts of Zone 6 and is now occassionally seen entering Zone 3 (territory of 3 other males) to get T84/Arrowhead's attention. T60 and T39 are two of his females. here is an article that best describes the dominance of Aurangzeb.

Royal Ruler of Ranthambore T57

Is T57 on the road to conquer Rajbaug & the queen of lakes Arrowhead !!!

Sunday 16th April’17, Last day of 3 full day nature safari at Ranthambore, We left from Rajbaug & headed towards Sholeshwar Nala in zone 2 to photograph Noor aka T39. After a 25 minutes long drive, we could make out that the location is already surrounded by Gypsies & prevailing conditions were not great for photography.

Without even attempting for Noor aka T39, we decided to return to Rajbaug to see if we can get any chase/kill sequence in the magical light at Rajbaug.Just near Naalghati we saw fresh pug marks of a male tiger. We suspected it to be of T91 as he was not the one seen for 4-5 days in the area. But in seconds we lost our mind to see T57 marking his territory near Naalghati.

In an extremely ferocious mood, he rubbed his belly on the ground with strong growl & started walking towards Bernia & Chotta gate. One of my dream to photograph tiger with Historic ruins at Ranthambore & what better than T57 at Chotta Gate & walking towards Jogi mahal & Singhdwar.

Its astonishing to see how T57 is stretching his territory & increasing his mates littering his cubs across larger area of Ranthambore tiger reserve.

Born in Indala area of Lahpur to T26 & suspected to be fathered by T20 Zhomroo, T57 has two siblings, T58(M) & T59(F) & is around 4.5Yrs old.

He dominated whole of Zone 2 Gandardeh to FootaKot. His mate T60 has 3 cubs (2M1F) around 16months fathered by T57.

He took over territory & female of T24 when T24 was shifted to Sajjangad in a highly controversial decision. Noor had 2 litters which are fathered by T57. None of the cubs from first litter survived & now she has 3 female cubs from her fourth & 2nd of her fathered by T57.

It was extremely strange to understand his behaviour when he left both the cubs of Noor Kaluaa & Dholua fatherered by T24 unhurt while taking over Noor & T24 territory ie Zone 1 & part of main road.

T57 also extended his territory to part of Zone 6 & adding non tourist area where is is suspected to have one more female mate (to be verified).

T57 was suspected to be seen by full day safari photographers at Ghana Khora area of zone 4 on 10th of April which apparently is the territory of Lightning. Is he finding a new mate in Lightning is a matter to be seen.

And now the heart of Ranthambore, Rajbaug & its ruler Queen of lakes Arrowhead T84 who is seen to be in and out of Zalra last 4 days which is connected to Naalghati where we spotted T57. Arrowhead was also seen on the same afternoon at Padam Lake smelling unknown areas where T57 headed in the evening after crossing Jogimal gate road.

The maze remains to be solved....
5 users Like Roflcopters's post

Roflcopters Offline
Modern Tiger Expert
( This post was last modified: 01-22-2018, 03:47 PM by Roflcopters )

Close up of the Mudumalai male.

same guy

going inside dense forest

the giant T58 male the brother of Aurangzeb aka T57, ruler of zone 7 and zone 8. Jan/2018.

Big male of Bijrani, Corbett. Jan/2018.

same male

sub adult cub from Kanha, 1970.

Mangu of Bandhavgarh on the patrol. Jan/2018.

Male tiger from Mudumalai tiger reserve. Jan/2018.

young male from Nagarhole, Jan/2018.

remains of a tiger kill from Mudumalai. Jan/2018.

Mahaman male of Bandhavgarh, Jan/2018.

the baddest male of Ranthambore, T42 aka  Fateh. Jan/2018.

Large Kaziranga male from a distance. Jan/2018.

on the move.
9 users Like Roflcopters's post

Roflcopters Offline
Modern Tiger Expert

Khursapar male/Handsome male of Pench, MH. Jan/2018.

Male tiger from Corbett. Jan/2018.

T58 of Ranthambore. Jan/2018.

Raiyakassa the king of Pench, MP.  Jan/2018.

Mahaman male on the move, Bandhavgarh. Jan/2018.

Parwali from Corbett on Sambhar road. Jan/2018.

Sonam and her new litter from Teliya, fathered by Bajrang. for those of you that arent familiar with Sonam, she is one of Wagdoh and Madhuri's daughter. Jan/2018.

beautiful Jamni Village, territory of Matkasur male.

Maya is finally starting to bring the kids out to the public. Jan/2018.

the two new members of Tadoba and Maya, fathered by Matkasur male.

both cubs looking around.

The Story of T8 tigress of Brahmapuri Forest Division

It has been almost two years, but I still remember it like it was yesterday. The sizzling summer temperatures did not wither our commitment as we patrolled the Kosambi beat, Awadgaon round of the South Bramhapuri Range. I was the first to spot the large tiger on the other side of the Ghosikhurd canal. On my instructions, the driver eased the engine and gradually made his way down as unobtrusively as possible. Not surprisingly, the alert tigress noticed and kept an eye on us as she slowly moved away. I identified her as T-8 and knew her three cubs would be nearby. The set-up camera-trap in that beat had regularly captured this tigress and her family hunting cattle.

I picked up my DSLR, placed my bean bag on the window, and began photographing her. As we approached a bridge we momentarily lost sight of her, but on crossing over, spotted her again, near a water tank. She then began walking confidently toward us in the direction of the canal. We reversed to allow her to cross the bridge constructed across the Ghosikhurd canal by the Forest Department for the safe passage of wild animals. Having crossed, the cat disappeared into the forest. Nothing could have demonstrated the need for well-designed passages across canals better. We hung around for a while, listening to the mother call out to her cubs, and then left the family in peace.

I followed T-8’s movements regularly, often through the camera-trap images shown to me by the ever-active Kosambi beat guard Zade, who had made it his mission to keep track of and protect the cat family.

Occasionally, I would receive a call from him confirming a sighting and one such revealed the three cubs gambolling near the Ghosikhurd canal. On our arrival, the mother peeked out from a nearby bush as if to let us know she was around and warning us to keep our distance. This was special, as it was my first sighting of a tigress with cubs.

Night Encounters

After May 2015, we failed to obtain any camera-trap images of the family from the canal side of the forest, though occasional, unconfirmed reports from other parts of the forest would come through. Then, on a night-patrol in winter, near the canal, a slight movement caught my eye and in the beam of my torch, and to my utter delight, there they were… ‘my’ three sub-adult tigers, which the forest guard said were T-8’s cubs. We stayed quiet, observing them for two hours, with the young ones showing no sign of shyness. At one point, they actually approached our vehicle! I saw that one was a female and felt like a doting grandparent visiting his little ones after a long gap. I really did not want to move away. The next morning, my staff placed barricades to prevent human disturbance to the T-8 family.

Camera-trap images confirmed that the family had moved to the adjoining Awadgaon waterhole, deeper in the forest. A few days later I visited the waterhole one evening and was heartened to see a near-perfectly camouflaged tiger watching my every move. As darkness fell, we headed back, only to be presented with a view of two sub-adults near the waterhole. Looking in the direction they were staring, I saw the mother, T-8, who casually walked away towards the forest, followed by her obedient cubs. This was a careful mother, I thought to myself, protecting her cubs in the best possible way by teaching them to avoid humans.

It was a magical moment. Starting the vehicle to make our way back, to our absolute surprise, there was T-8 again, this time standing in our headlights, just 15 m. from us. Incredibly, her cubs too emerged; the four walking right up to our vehicle, then crossing over to the darkness of the forest on the other side. For some inexplicable reason we had been trusted. I shut my eyes and thought to myself ‘they were amber flames against the ground’. I will never forget that moment, as much for the sighting as the trust the mother seemed to display in us.

Tracking tigers

The family became my family. As I went about performing routine duties as the Deputy Conservator Forests of the Bramhapuri division, I kept track of their daily movements. By early 2016, the cubs had begun hunting with their mother. I even once saw the female cub charging a wild pig.

The Bramhapuri Forest Division is densely occupied by tigers and leopards. I was therefore worried about the ability of the sub-adults to find territories for themselves when separated from their mother. In the summer of 2016, we decided to work with the Wildlife Institute of India (WII) to study their dispersal by radio collaring the sub-adults.

I headed one of the tracking teams and acting on a forest guard’s information, we approached a waterhole on foot in Halda beat of South Bramhapuri range, where we found fresh pugmarks. To avoid any risk, we immediately got into our vehicles and moved away from the area to the adjoining agricultural fields. Lo and behold! There was a tiger looking at us some distance from the field! We followed the magnificent cat, but could not get close enough to dart it. We returned the next day with veterinarian Dr. Parag Nigam and were fortunate enough to successfully collar the sub-adult female and one of the sub-adult males. We would now be able to track their movements from satellite data and ground staff.

A month later, camera-trap images of a male tiger turned up from Gadchiroli’s Wadsa Forest Division. Data analysis confirmed it was T-8’s sub-adult male. He had travelled 50 to 60 km. all the way to Wadsa, crossing the Wainganga river in the process. Unfortunately, we have not received any news of this male since then.

In August, I was at a human-animal conflict training camp at the Kerala Forest Research Institute in Thrissur, when I learnt that the collared male sub-adult had been killed by another tiger, not far from the forests in which his mother had brought him up. The young female was doing well, having taken over the territory of her mother, who had shifted to another compartment. We kept hearing of cattle kills in the young tigress’ territory, and people began to see her openly every second day in the villages of Kosambi, Murpar, Saigaon, Belgaon and Kalamgaon.

On September 9, 2016, the young female injured a young boy near Belgaon next to compartment no. 167. On September 23, 2016, she killed a woman in Saigaon and dragged her from the field to forest compartment no. 207. More cattle kills were reported from nearby villages, with one taking place in the presence of a farmer. That seemed to be the last straw, triggering pent up anger and fear in locals from the nearby villages.

We had no choice. The Chief Wildlife Warden issued orders to capture her with help from Tadoba’s expert veterinarian, Dr. Khobragade and Dr. Prashant Deshmukh of the Wildlife Conservation Trust (WCT). By now the monsoon had set in and the forest was difficult to access safely. We called for reinforcements in the form of trained elephants. Eventually, Dr. Parag Nigam and Dr. Bilal Habib from the WII pitched in and we successfully darted the cat. Her collar was changed by Dr. Habib, and on instructions from the Chief Wildlife Warden, she was released in the Chaprala Wildlife Sanctuary, the very same day to keep her duress to the minimum.

But since then, tracking her has not been possible as the satellite did not transmit data. Our only option was to hope for ground information through the VHF receiver. Hopefully, this anomaly will soon be rectified.

As anyone can imagine, it’s extremely difficult to monitor wild tigers, particularly if they are surrounded by populated villages. It is my hope that the Chaprala Sanctuary, which has a healthy population of herbivores, can offer T-8’s daughter sanctuary.

As I write this piece for Sanctuary Asia in March 2017, news comes in of T-8 having delivered still more cubs. I will follow them, protect them, but worry about their survival in such a conflict-ridden environment.

Congrats to Maharashtra for finally realizing the value of Brahmapuri forest division, they have finally declared the 160sqkm ghodazari forest under Brahmapuri Forest division a wildlife sanctuary and these tigers will now be protected. 

https://m.timesofindia.com/city/nagpur/g...560713.cms

this was long overdue, basically all the missing tigers that dispersed from Tadoba, Nagzira, Umred and Melghat reside here. this is a big win.
6 users Like Roflcopters's post

Roflcopters Offline
Modern Tiger Expert
( This post was last modified: 01-31-2018, 03:40 AM by Roflcopters )

the massive Kankajhari male of Kolara Buffer, son of Katezari male. Jan/2018

Kankajhari male on his gaur kill near Madnapur. Jan/2018

Kankajhari male. Jan/2018

CT the king of Pench, Sillari. MH. Jan/2018

Jobhi from a few weeks back. Jan/2018

Mangu on the move. Jan/2018

Umarpani male on the move. Jan/2018

King of New Nagzira. Jan/2018

KZT085, the king of Kaziranga. going 7 years strong now. Jan/2018

Big female of Kaziranga. Jan/2018

same girl, different angle. Jan/2018

I never knew this Kaziranga male was the guy killed in the floods last year. Rip

same guy

same guy

Gorgeous Maya. January/2018

Maya and the furballs. Jan/2018

late Bamera's pugmarks, his reign was short because of the prominent injuries on his front pads that never really healed. if it wasnt for that Injury, no doubt Bamera would've ruled for much longer.
3 users Like Roflcopters's post

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 01-31-2018, 03:43 AM by Pckts )

That's Mangu with the scar on his nose, great to see Jobhi btw, bandhavgarh has a rebirth of years past with the recent sighting of Jobhi and Mahaman Male. 

Uma looks like a different male with his winter coat and bulk.

Roflcopters Offline
Modern Tiger Expert

Thanks ill edit that and certainly, 2018 is the year of Bandhavgarh. lots of sightings, good number of males and females along with sub adults and cubs.
1 user Likes Roflcopters's post

Rishi Offline
Moderators
Tongue  ( This post was last modified: 02-04-2018, 07:56 AM by Rishi )

From Jitender Govindani's post in Tigers of Kanha...
Quote:Missing Bheema.

If only Bheema would have been alive & sired Dhawajhandi's cubs, he'd have done his best to protect his litter unlike ChhotaMunna. He would undoubtedly have been a much better father than CM.

.. which recieved comments like these:

Even with all the fanboyism in that group, one can't help but love how the tigers get humanised!
1 user Likes Rishi's post

SuSpicious Offline

(02-04-2018, 07:54 AM)Rishi Wrote: From Jitender Govindani's post in Tigers of Kanha...

If only Bheema would have been alive & sired Dhawajhandi's cubs, he'd have done his best to protect his litter unlike ChhotaMunna. He would undoubtedly have been a much better father than CM.

Even with all the fanboyism in that group, one can't help but love how the tigers get humanised!
 Good Point Rishi about tigers getting humanised. anyways two things I want to add.

1. The fact tigers are solitary animals makes up so much for their personality and the individual stories they carry.

2. About Chotta Munna (CM) - Is it because he is carefree or is it because he is feeling so much pressure from other males at this moment that he is busy saving himself. I mean that could be the case.
2 users Like SuSpicious's post

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 02-04-2018, 11:21 PM by Pckts )

(02-04-2018, 07:54 AM)Rishi Wrote: From Jitender Govindani's post in Tigers of Kanha...

I feel like they’re replacing their favorite superhero’s with wild animals.
1 user Likes Pckts's post